Jackson Miami/NSLIJHS Hofstra North Shore

Started by SMC123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SMC123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone has new information on these two programs. I read some threads but they are pretty outdated. Both of these programs are taking a lot of IMGs/DOs. Are these programs still struggling to stay open?
 
Are you assuming that these programs are struggling because they have a lot of DOs? This is PM&R you're talking about, right?
 
I am assuming because I did a search on those programs from the past and at the time they were struggling. I am a struggling do student looking for a chance at one of the struggling programs
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am assuming because I did a search on those programs from the past and at the time they were struggling. I am a struggling do student looking for a chance at one of the struggling programs
I see. Well I wish you the best of luck. I know a couple 4th years at my school that are putting Miami at the top of their rank list. I'm not sure whether they are competitive applicants or not. Sorry I can't be of more help to you!
 
I don't know much about Hofstra, but Miami is a pretty good program. They get a lot of IMGs, but the main reason for that is... it's Miami. Over 50% of the population there speaks Spanish, so it's not as frowned upon to be an IMG there - and they end up with a good mix of people. Andrew Sherman, the residency director, does a great job with the program, and I'd hardly say it's struggling. The only thing I can't comment on is the hospital - Jackson. It was in some financial difficulty as of a few years ago, but I am not sure how that relates to the residency program.

My advice to all med students, if you're on the lower side of the curve, is to apply broadly rather than focus on the "lower tier" programs. It can't hurt. Best of luck!
 
I got a good vibe from the LIJ program. They're headed in a good direction I think. Their PD is awesome, very friendly.

Just because there are a few IMGs doesn't make it a bad or lower tier program.
 
Just wanted to point out that in NYC a lot of the Jewish hospitals have affiliations with schools in Israel. That includes Einstein/Montie, LIJ, and NYU so the FMG can also be deceptive. Also some programs will be competitive because they are in desirable areas like NYC, SoCal, Miami, Chicago so apply broad geographically