Jagiellonian 4-Year MD Program Cancelled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piotrkol1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find anything about the 4-year MD program on the university's website. It only talks about the 6-year program for high school graduates. I did a Google search about the 4-year program and there are some webpages that come up, but the information pertains to last year's application cycle.

It's too bad if that's the case because if all else fails I'd probably rather go there over SGU (my whole family is from Poland and I've visited many times). I have emailed a few folks over there in an attempt to obtain more information, but so far I haven't heard back. It looks like Poznan University of Medical Sciences still offers the 4-year program, but in addition to the MCAT you also have to take their entrance exam that covers biology, chemistry, physics. Is this a new requirement? Frankly, I just retook the MCAT (my score is already way above their minimum of 490) and I wouldn't be thrilled about having to study for another test.

Members don't see this ad.

I received the following reply:

"Starting from academic year 2019/2020 we only conduct admission process to MD program in English that lasts 6 years.

Persons eligible for admission to the studies require to hold Biology/Physics and Chemistry courses completed during secondary and/or supplementary education and confirmed by a certificate including grade, or by an entry in diploma of secondary education, who will sit for the entrance examination conducted in English.

Please view information regarding transferring grades/credits available on our website at School of Medicine in English, Jagiellonian University - Medical College , however transfer of credits is not a basis for shortening the duration of studies.

The possibility to shorten a duration of studies will be given to the best performing students, upon completion of minimum two years of studies (4 semesters) and passing USMLE Step 1. Decisions regarding such shortening of studies will be made by the dean of the faculty on the basis of an application filed by the student."

Yeah it's unfortunate that the 4yr program is no longer running. Poznan and Lodz still have them, but they're technically still 6yr degrees with the ugrd subjects being waived.

Jagiellonian has a decent reputation, but the 2 year opportunity cost was too high for me to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was just accepted to the 6 year program in English. I am coming for the US and was hoping someone could give some pointers of what to expect coming here. It would be great to know if I should buy books here or in PL, dorm tips, Krakow life, Dos and Donts for the program, summer clerkships etc. I am excited but I feel unprepared for this big move, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! I was just accepted to the 6 year program in English. I am coming for the US and was hoping someone could give some pointers of what to expect coming here. It would be great to know if I should buy books here or in PL, dorm tips, Krakow life, Dos and Donts for the program, summer clerkships etc. I am excited but I feel unprepared for this big move, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Congrats. I can't answer your questions because I have not attended, but I feel the need to tell you to confirm whether the school will be accredited to comply with the ECFMG 2023 accreditation rule. This is the most important thing to know if you desire to return back to the US for residency. You'll likely find more answers/students on ValueMD than here.

Did you decide to attend in Poland? if so, which school??

I looked into Poznan and Jagiellonian but didn't apply to either because Poznan wasn't listed on FAFSA as Title IV loan eligible and Jag had shifted to 6-yr only.

Congrats. I can't answer your questions because I have not attended, but I feel the need to tell you to confirm whether the school will be accredited to comply with the ECFMG 2023 accreditation rule. This is the most important thing to know if you desire to return back to the US for residency. You'll likely find more answers/students on ValueMD than here.

Hi!
From what I understand, the reason Jag switched to 6-year program only was to ensure they would comply with ECFMG 2023.
I have also been told it is possible to shorten the program if you perform strongly in your first 2 years and on USMLE step 1

Reactions: 1 user
You could always write to the ECFMG at [email protected] and ask .
They always reply.

Any medical student or graduate, as long as their school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, may apply for ECFMG Certification before 2023 and fall under the current policies. It doesn’t matter when you will graduate – what matters is when you apply for ECFMG Certification. If you apply before 2023, you will not be impacted by the requirement.

To confirm that your medical school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, access the World Directory at www.wdoms.org. Medical schools that meet ECFMG’s requirements will have a note stating this in the schools’ World Directory listing under “Sponsor Notes.”

If you are already enrolled in an acceptable school, you can apply for ECFMG Certification now or anytime before 2023. You cannot take the USMLE exams, however, until you have completed 2 years of medical school. Once you have completed 2 years of medical school, you may begin taking the exams whenever you are ready. If you wish, you can apply before 2023 and not take an exam until after 2023.

Last edited:
The 4yrs MD program still exist.: School of Medicine in English
The Jagiellonian University Faculty of Medicine confers a Doctor of Medicine (MD) upon graduation which is great because it is accredited in Canada, USA and in the European Union:)