Jalbreakfast and Jefe - USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darwin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the match list handed out at the reception?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert on analyzing match lists, but I thought it looked pretty good. Almost everyone ended up in California - such a large number of students at UCSF, UCLA, Stanford and the like seems pretty impressive. And considering how many people stay at USC it seems like you are practically guaranteed a residency there if you want it. And of the people that went out of state most of those ended up in pretty great places - JHU, Harvard, Mayo, WashU, Washington, Penn, Duke, Michigan were all represented.

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit late. I never noticed this thread until I did a search for my own name. I was very impressed by the match list. Jefe said it pretty good. about 80% was california, and a lot of it was good california. I didn't notice where the out of staters went to much. But you are pretty much guarenteed that if you want it you'll get a residency in cali. One thing that I wasn't impressed with was the fact that one of the speakers on the panel was a guy who didn't match. On the bright side, he was able to scamble into a ortho residency at McGill.

Yeah...I've heard of scrambling...but into Ortho? That was pretty wierd. Overall I think SC did a FANTASTIC job in selling the school. However, I was sort of unimpressed by the attitude of the students towards financial aid (or the lack thereof, in terms of grants, scholorships). It was like..."yeah, but we see so much more at county, so it's worth the extra XXX". Is it really worth the extra $120K over a UC? If accepted to a UC should one choose SC because of county? I don't doubt that county will offer TREMENDOUS amounts of hands on and experience. But man, that's a big chunk of change and although it's easy to sit back now and not worry about it, when those bills start coming in I don't want to regret my decision. I might be standing right next to a resident that went to UCD and is only paying 1/3 the loans that I am. I can't help but see myself in 5 years going...he/she's here...I'm here...and I'm WAY more in debt. Don't get me wrong...I'm truly fortunate to have the decision that I do...it's just that it's not an easy one.
I agree about the matchlist. I was a bit turned off by the appearance that a number of students didn't match though. That's a bit scary. Overall, GREAT school, and it certainly solidified my confidence in possibly choosing it.