January 2008 test, March deadlines

Started by eagle003
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eagle003

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a senior in college, applying to grad school, but have recently decided to also apply to pharmacy school. I haven't taken formal PCAT only practice ones (but happy w/ results). Anyways, if I sit for the January 2008 exam, can I make the March 1 deadlines some schools offer, or is this time period too short?
 
I'm a senior in college, applying to grad school, but have recently decided to also apply to pharmacy school. I haven't taken formal PCAT only practice ones (but happy w/ results). Anyways, if I sit for the January 2008 exam, can I make the March 1 deadlines some schools offer, or is this time period too short?

So you are thinking about graduate school and pharmacy?

It does not work like that, you know. Pick one or the other, or you will lose both.

I wanted to become a doctor, but you know they get sued almost every other month for mal practice.

You know how much money surgeons make, right? You could make well over $500,000 a year as a surgeon. I just do not want to get an indictment for malpractice. The risk of becoming a doctor is high, you know.
 
So you are thinking about graduate school and pharmacy?

It does not work like that, you know. Pick one or the other, or you will lose both.

I wanted to become a doctor, but you know they get sued almost every other month for mal practice.

You know how much money surgeons make, right? You could make well over $500,000 a year as a surgeon. I just do not want to get an indictment for malpractice. The risk of becoming a doctor is high, you know.

pharmdat whats wrong with u?? stop bumping threads 2 years back dude. surgeon is a difficult job and most ppl cant handle the work load in school. so its not just the malpractice. its like brain surgeon not EVERY1 CAN DO THESE JOBS.
 
I'm a senior in college, applying to grad school, but have recently decided to also apply to pharmacy school. I haven't taken formal PCAT only practice ones (but happy w/ results). Anyways, if I sit for the January 2008 exam, can I make the March 1 deadlines some schools offer, or is this time period too short?

Experience from last year: kid took the Jan exam, deadline for school of choice was Mar 1. PCAT results were available to schools on Feb 28.

She didn't get accepted at that time though, for several reasons: 1. she was still three pre-reqs short and couldn't expect to get tem all over the summer, but mostly because of 2. she wasn't a resident of that state (yet) and the last few spots left for that final interview cycle were expected to be given to in-state residents. That could work to your benefit if you're a resident of the state where you're applying (if it's a public university).

She re-applied ED to the same school in August, after having moved to the state so she could become a resident, she completed two of the outstanding pre-reqs (with the third class being taken now, as she's gaining residency status), with her PCAT of 86. Interviewed on a Tuesday, got the acceptance email on Thursday.

So yeah...... the Jan exam can work for schools with March deadlines, but tere are other criteria involved that can hurt or help you. Regardless, I still recommend you take the exam, because you have nothing to lose. If you do well, that's great. If you do poorly, you'll have ample opportunity to re-take the exam for the following year's admission cycles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Experience from last year: kid took the Jan exam, deadline for school of choice was Mar 1. PCAT results were available to schools on Feb 28.

She didn't get accepted at that time though, for several reasons: 1. she was still three pre-reqs short and couldn't expect to get tem all over the summer, but mostly because of 2. she wasn't a resident of that state (yet) and the last few spots left for that final interview cycle were expected to be given to in-state residents. That could work to your benefit if you're a resident of the state where you're applying (if it's a public university).

She re-applied ED to the same school in August, after having moved to the state so she could become a resident, she completed two of the outstanding pre-reqs (with the third class being taken now, as she's gaining residency status), with her PCAT of 86. Interviewed on a Tuesday, got the acceptance email on Thursday.

So yeah...... the Jan exam can work for schools with March deadlines, but tere are other criteria involved that can hurt or help you. Regardless, I still recommend you take the exam, because you have nothing to lose. If you do well, that's great. If you do poorly, you'll have ample opportunity to re-take the exam for the following year's admission cycles.

thanks for providing a real-world example. which school did she get admitted to?

thanks!
 
She'll be at Auburn.

War Eagle!!!!!

Interestingly enough, I suspect she probably could have gotten admitted to VCU had she made the decision earlier (we live in VA). She didn't decide to go the pharmacy route until se began her final year of undergrad, so the first PCAT she was eligible for was the January 2007 one. Had she decided a little earlier, she could have taken an earlier PCAT and would have been able to apply to VCU. But, she wanted to Make the Big Move, so now she's an Alabamian.

Man, that sounds like some sort of salamander.
 
She'll be at Auburn.

War Eagle!!!!!

Interestingly enough, I suspect she probably could have gotten admitted to VCU had she made the decision earlier (we live in VA). She didn't decide to go the pharmacy route until se began her final year of undergrad, so the first PCAT she was eligible for was the January 2007 one. Had she decided a little earlier, she could have taken an earlier PCAT and would have been able to apply to VCU. But, she wanted to Make the Big Move, so now she's an Alabamian.

Man, that sounds like some sort of salamander.


:laugh: