January 2013 PCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Himy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey my fellow SDNers!

So there is less than two months away until the January test and I wanted to make a thread for anyone that's going to take a test. This could be a thread for posting suggestions to study, asking questions or just random thoughts. Anyone else worried??

My study plan so far is to use Dr. Collin's, Kaplan and the three practice tests on the PCAT site, but have not been too successful studying efficiently yet..

Members don't see this ad.

I followed what the 99% club thread said and I got a 79% on Friday. I would have gotten higher if I didn't get a 25% in reading (I had 80%s in the other sections). I just choked on the reading section because I didn't do that bad on the three practice tests. Do the Dr. Collins biology and chemistry quizzes until you are getting perfects on them. A lot on the biology quizzes aren't even in the study guide. I used Kaplan briefly, but decided I didn't have enough time so only worked with Dr. Collins (I prepared for 3 weeks 1-2 hours a day, 2-4 the last few days, and nothing the day before).

Haven't really updated my status on this thread. Just started doing some practice test with 2 and a half weeks to go. I've been mostly doing Dr. Collin's Practice exams for each subject since I hear at least for Chem and Math that it's most representative to the actual test.
Here's what I've done so far incase someone wants to compare or post how they are doing regarding Dr. Collin as well

Math
Practice Test #1: 47/52
Practice Test #2: 49/52
Practice Test #3: 48/52
Practice Test #4: 45/52
Practice Test #5: 44/52 (Very hard compared to the rest, barely had time)

Chem
Practice Test #1: 35/50
Practice Test #2: 38/50

Verbal
Practice Test #1: 39/50

I was wondering how much harder the quantitative section for the PCAT was compared to Dr. Collin's ones? I usually finish the practice tests with at least 5 minutes remaining with the exception to the 5th practice test, is that a good sign for the actual test to finish early as well since I hear really bad things about the quantitative test on SDN.

Last edited:
Haven't really updated my status on this thread. Just started doing some practice test with 2 and a half weeks to go. I've been mostly doing Dr. Collin's Practice exams for each subject since I hear at least for Chem and Math that it's most representative to the actual test.
Here's what I've done so far incase someone wants to compare or post how they are doing regarding Dr. Collin as well

Math
Practice Test #1: 47/52
Practice Test #2: 49/52
Practice Test #3: 48/52
Practice Test #4: 45/52
Practice Test #5: 44/52 (Very hard compared to the rest, barely had time)

Chem
Practice Test #1: 35/50
Practice Test #2: 38/50

Verbal
Practice Test #1: 39/50

I was wondering how much harder the quantitative section for the PCAT was compared to Dr. Collin's ones? I usually finish the practice tests with at least 5 minutes remaining with the exception to the 5th practice test, is that a good sign for the actual test to finish early as well since I hear really bad things about the quantitative test on SDN.

Hey, I'm taking the January PCAT as well.

From what I've heard, the Collins quantitative is decent, but has a few shortcomings compared to the PCAT. I'm not sure what those are, but I'd check out the PCAT Blueprint just to double check the concepts covered and see what Collins may have skipped over. Your scores on Quant are great, I'd say you'll score at least 80 on the PCAT. But don't get overconfident since I have a feeling that those 5 extra minutes will disappear on the real thing. Keep practicing to increase speed/accuracy. Do you have any good online resources for reviewing algebra/calc?

I'm finishing Collins Biology in 15 minutes, which makes me wonder how good the prep is compared to the PCAT. The first few tests I simply didn't know the content for the questions I missed. After reviewing the packet I'm scoring much higher.

Biology
Practice Test #1: 34/48
Practice Test #2: 39/48
Practice Test #3: 37/48
Practice Test #4: 45/48

Chemistry
Practice Test #1: 24/50 (Didn't read the review packet yet)

I haven't taken any chemistry courses (crazy, I know) and have been teaching myself. But I have a good reason for taking the PCAT this early. Anyone have an awesome resource to quickly learn all the concepts & how to do problems? I've been using KhanAcademy so far. Any ideas?

I'll post more scores as they come. Good luck w/studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm taking the January PCAT as well.

From what I've heard, the Collins quantitative is decent, but has a few shortcomings compared to the PCAT. I'm not sure what those are, but I'd check out the PCAT Blueprint just to double check the concepts covered and see what Collins may have skipped over. Your scores on Quant are great, I'd say you'll score at least 80 on the PCAT. But don't get overconfident since I have a feeling that those 5 extra minutes will disappear on the real thing. Keep practicing to increase speed/accuracy. Do you have any good online resources for reviewing algebra/calc?

I'm finishing Collins Biology in 15 minutes, which makes me wonder how good the prep is compared to the PCAT. The first few tests I simply didn't know the content for the questions I missed. After reviewing the packet I'm scoring much higher.

Biology
Practice Test #1: 34/48
Practice Test #2: 39/48
Practice Test #3: 37/48
Practice Test #4: 45/48

Chemistry
Practice Test #1: 24/50 (Didn't read the review packet yet)

I haven't taken any chemistry courses (crazy, I know) and have been teaching myself. But I have a good reason for taking the PCAT this early. Anyone have an awesome resource to quickly learn all the concepts & how to do problems? I've been using KhanAcademy so far. Any ideas?

I'll post more scores as they come. Good luck w/studying!

I'm not too sure if the bio will be exactly like on the PCAT, but it seems that you're doing great in that so far! And good luck on studying too!

And yeah, I'm not being overconfident or anything when it comes to math, I usually check my answers around 5 minutes for those that I was not too sure of or skipped. I've only really used Dr. Collin for math so far and it pretty much covers most of the things. The questions I usually get wrong for math on the practice tests are those that he never really covered in his review like trig. identities or different forms of vector problems. But I'm learning with each wrong answer so hopefully the PCAT won't have a twist of knowledge that wasn't covered in Dr. Collin's study guide.

For today I've done two more chem practice tests and one more math:

Practice Test for Chem #3/4: 37/50, and 38/50
Practice Test for Math #6: 46/52 (learned some probability and vector info that I wasn't aware of beforehand)

I'm not too sure if the bio will be exactly like on the PCAT, but it seems that you're doing great in that so far! And good luck on studying too!

And yeah, I'm not being overconfident or anything when it comes to math, I usually check my answers around 5 minutes for those that I was not too sure of or skipped. I've only really used Dr. Collin for math so far and it pretty much covers most of the things. The questions I usually get wrong for math on the practice tests are those that he never really covered in his review like trig. identities or different forms of vector problems. But I'm learning with each wrong answer so hopefully the PCAT won't have a twist of knowledge that wasn't covered in Dr. Collin's study guide.

For today I've done two more chem practice tests and one more math:

Practice Test for Chem #3/4: 37/50, and 38/50
Practice Test for Math #6: 46/52 (learned some probability and vector info that I wasn't aware of beforehand)

Thanks! Nice work on getting chemistry consistently in that higher range. That's good progress since every extra question you bag makes a noticeable difference in score.

I tried out Verbal today without any studying and it's looking pretty good. I hope the PCAT is at about the same level of difficulty.
Verbal #1: 40/50
Verbal #2: 43/50

Are you taking any if the Pearson practice tests? I'll be taking one in a few days.

I'm also preparing for the Jan PCAT using Dr. Collins. I thought I'd share my scores so far as well.

Chem #1: 31/50 (before reading review packets)
Chem #2: 45/50
Chem #3: 46/50
Chem #4: 43/50

Reading #1: 44/48

Verbal #1: 45/50
Verbal #2: 49/50

Biology #1: 36/48
Biology #2:43/48
Biology #3: 36/48
Biology #4: 45/48
Biology #5: 38/48
Biology #6: 36/48
Biology #7: 41/48
Biology #8: 39/48
Biology #9: 37/48

I'm feeling pretty good about Verbal and Reading, so I doubt I'll do more than maybe one more of each of those tests. I'm going to finish the Chemistry tests in the next few days and then move onto Math. Math will probably be my lowest score on the test, but hopefully I can get to a point where that subscore isn't embarrassingly low.

Any tips for good Biology and Math review sources other than Dr. Collins and Princeton Review?

Thanks! Nice work on getting chemistry consistently in that higher range. That's good progress since every extra question you bag makes a noticeable difference in score.

I tried out Verbal today without any studying and it's looking pretty good. I hope the PCAT is at about the same level of difficulty.
Verbal #1: 40/50
Verbal #2: 43/50

Are you taking any if the Pearson practice tests? I'll be taking one in a few days.

Nice job on the verbal section! i wish my english skills were that good without studying but sadly its not. im planning on taking a pearson test soon, probably by the end of this week or a few days. Let us know how you do when taking it!

And GatorPharm, great job on such great scores all around! Im having a lot of difficulty with the Bio section right now, so I dont know how to help you there. But keep in mind that there are still a few plant and ecology questions in the dr. Collin tests that wont be in the actual pcat so take that into consideration of your scores as well.

For now I just did 4 more Verbal sections and 1 bio, which ended up really bad for me but expected, i have a lot to learn within the next two weeks!

Verbal Practice Test #2: 38/50
Verbal Practice Test #3: 39/50
Verbal Practice Test #4: 32/50
Verbal Practice Test #5: 43/50

At this point im hoping the actual PCAT test has a lot of similar vocabulary words as Dr Collin or else Im not going to do well in this at all

Biology Practice Test #1: 28/48

Most of the plant and ecology questions I got wrong, so I will have to factor that in my score, then the rest of the questions were mostly information that I forgot and need to review on.

Hopefully the lack of plant/ecology questions will help me out on the real test. I'm just worried that some random topics will come up that I haven't studied. It seems like Bio is the most unpredictable in that regard. Good job on the Verbals tests. I'm certainly hoping the PCAT one is like that Dr. Collins ones!

i am taking my pcat for the first time next week, so nervous!!
I just received my dr collins notes on Monday, so I haven't been studying like crazy.. because I wasted 1-2 months going over the entire kaplan book, but found out last week through taking a pearson practice exam that I am no where near prepared for the actual pcat. good thing that kaplan book was only $20.. i am pretty upset about it.

I just received my dr collins notes on Monday, so I haven't been studying like crazy.. because I wasted 1-2 months going over the entire kaplan book, but found out last week through taking a pearson practice exam that I am no where near prepared for the actual pcat. good thing that kaplan book was only $20.. i am pretty upset about it.

With how much time you have, I'd say do as many Collins practice tests as possible and go over the problems you MISSED or don't understand to learn those concepts. Going through the entire lesson packets might waste time that you don't have and not give you as much experience taking tests. Good luck! *Goes back to studying*

I would just say to focus on your weaknesses in these last few days. It does help to do the Collins exams and keep redoing them so you get the concepts down (especially chemistry)

I agree that the Kaplan book is kind of a waste of time. What I did was take a pearson test and then go over the concepts that I didn't understand or was iffy about. But even then I feel like the chemistry videos on youtube are much more helpful.

I'm also using a Princeton Review MCAT general chemistry review book. It is helping me a lot since I need a lot of chem review. I love this book.

I've taken all three Pearson tests and my score has increased a lot since the first time I took it - 20-40% to 70-90%. But I wish my range was more around the 80-99%. Hopefully these last few days I can bring my score up so that on the actual exam I can make it somewhere in there!

Good luck studying everyone!

Does anybody know when the official dates for the next PCAT will be posted? The PCAT website only list last years and Januarys 2013 dates. Thank you.

Does anybody know when the official dates for the next PCAT will be posted? The PCAT website only list last years and Januarys 2013 dates. Thank you.

I think that's the only place to find it online. If I remember to ask when I'm at the testing center next week I'll let you know what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
With how much time you have, I'd say do as many Collins practice tests as possible and go over the problems you MISSED or don't understand to learn those concepts. Going through the entire lesson packets might waste time that you don't have and not give you as much experience taking tests. Good luck! *Goes back to studying*

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

I would just say to focus on your weaknesses in these last few days. It does help to do the Collins exams and keep redoing them so you get the concepts down (especially chemistry)

I agree that the Kaplan book is kind of a waste of time. What I did was take a pearson test and then go over the concepts that I didn't understand or was iffy about. But even then I feel like the chemistry videos on youtube are much more helpful.

I'm also using a Princeton Review MCAT general chemistry review book. It is helping me a lot since I need a lot of chem review. I love this book.

I've taken all three Pearson tests and my score has increased a lot since the first time I took it - 20-40% to 70-90%. But I wish my range was more around the 80-99%. Hopefully these last few days I can bring my score up so that on the actual exam I can make it somewhere in there!

Good luck studying everyone!

I got 20-40% the first time I took the practice.. OMG!! it shocked me..
Good luck to you too!

For those of you who have the Collins packet, can you help me with number 47 in Chemistry test #11?

Thank you :)

wow.. i just took the pcat today!! I feel like the chemistry section was ALL organic chemistry and barely any general chem.. does anyone feel that way? And the math section was harder than the Kaplan book.

wow.. i just took the pcat today!! I feel like the chemistry section was ALL organic chemistry and barely any general chem.. does anyone feel that way? And the math section was harder than the Kaplan book.

Really? I'm taking mine tomorrow and I've been focusing mostly on Gen chem =/
Was it mostly reactions?

Focus on both. I had a lot of gen chem on my exam..I felt that the Collins material was pretty close to the real thing too. So if you have Collins, od on the practice problems. Good luck

Finished taking the Jan 08, 2013 PCAT earlier today.

Verbal Ability 401 / 49%
Biology 430 / 89%
Reading Comprehension 395 / 41%
Quantitative Ability 442 / 96%
Chemistry 434 / 91%
Composite 420 / 85%

I knew going into the test that Verbal and Reading Comprehension were going to be my worst subjects just because I never ever did well in them before. Collin's helped a little for Verbal, some questions were repeated, a lot of the analogies that were on the test had words that I never saw from any practice test. I would say around 5 questions were probably the same as the test

Biology was pretty random for me, get the July 2012 update that he has for the biology section! My biology usually fluctuates depending if the specific questions asked were the ones on my test. My biology for my practice test #2 from Pearson was 40-60% while practice test #3 was 80-99%. I counted at least 16 questions that appeared just from the July update. There were other really specific questions that were pretty random about diseases.

Chemistry July 2012 update for Collin had it down! I went back to see the update and I counted around 11 questions that were the exact same just for that July update, excluding his other practice tests. I didn't really think about the distribution between Ochem/Chem/Biochem, but there are some Ochem that caught me off guard though since I sort of relied on Collin for chem only.

Math was pretty good too for Collin, but only for practice though. Few questions that had similar formatting as Collin, but I thought it was around same difficulty as Pearson. I went through the questions with 6 minutes remaining, and didn't do around 7 of them, but I always considered myself fast in math though. You have to finish fast! There was questions that I knew would take some thinking, which I did not want to do since it was towards the end.

Last edited:
Did any of you who took the Jan PCAT today or earlier also buy the Official PCAT practice exam from Pearson? And if so, how similar in difficulty would you say it was?

Good luck to everyone whose taking it and congratulations to everyone who has taken it! :thumbup:

Your a life saver! Were any of the diseases ones that were found in Dr.Collins' bio packet?

I would say there was some diseases that were in his bio packet, but for sure there were others that I never heard of from any practice book including Collin's.

Did any of you who took the Jan PCAT today or earlier also buy the Official PCAT practice exam from Pearson? And if so, how similar in difficulty would you say it was?

Good luck to everyone whose taking it and congratulations to everyone who has taken it! :thumbup:

I did buy the Official PCAT practice exam! I say everything was around the same or a little easier except for Reading Comprehension, which I thought was much harder than the Pearson Tests.

Finished taking the Jan 08, 2013 PCAT earlier today.

Math was pretty good too for Collin, but only for practice though. Few questions that had similar formatting as Collin, but I thought it was around same difficulty as Pearson. I went through the questions with 6 minutes remaining, and didn't do around 7 of them, but I always considered myself fast in math though. You have to finish fast! There was questions that I knew would take some thinking, which I did not want to do since it was towards the end.

The quantitative portion today was a doozie!! The format seemed different and the questions were really involved (read: took tons of time to solve)--I realized that I was only 7 questions in and was half way through with the time--woops! Came out with a 33%...ouch :eek: Composite was 92% though, so hopefully that section is explainable. Advice for others: forget studying anything that's not calculus, and really *really* watch the clock during the quantitative portion!!

How did you feel the other sections of the test were? We're they similar to the Pearson practice tests?

All the sections except for Verbal and Biology were way easier on the PPTs (Pearson Practice Tests)

Reading: Longer, more technical passages with more involved questions.
Chemistry: Tough. But I haven't taken Chemistry I, II, or Orgo so I'm sure everyone will do better.
Quantitative: Some problems eat up a lot of time. Definitely do all the questions you know how to solve or take less than 45 seconds to complete first! If not, you'll end up rushing on questions that are otherwise easy.

Verbal 438 / 93%
Biology 430 / 86%
Chemistry 411 / 67%
Reading 437 / 96%
Quantitative 431 / 91%

Composite 428 / 94%

Okay so here are my scores from yesterday:

Verbal 437 / 94
Biology 408 / 57
Chemistry 430 / 88
Reading 436 / 97
Quantitative 413 / 72
Composite 425 / 91

Biology seemed really random to me and not at all what I remember from my classes or any PCAT prep I used. Did wayyyy better on math than I was expecting though, so I'm happy. I about had a heart attack when I got my score report because I thought I did so much worse based on how I felt during the test. Just glad it's over for good. Overall Dr. Collins was the most helpful prep tool, but I wish I had found a better Biology study source.

I just finished mine on Jan 9th

Verbal: 87
Biology: 97
RC: 75
QA: 97
Chem: 95
Composite: 97

This is my second time at the PCAT, the first time I got 92 comp (4 on essay) with 32 on RC and 75 on QA.

Step by step what I used on my second try to study
Dr.Collins (by far the most useful thing out there WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RC)
Pearson's 3 practice tests (really helped me learn to pace myself and where I learned to Improve my RC)
Kaplan & McgrawHill's end of chapter tests ( I only used the tests from these books since the review sections were ridiculous)

I also tried using Barron's prep book and I found that useless and I would come to the same conclusion after writing it again

I really sat myself down and asked what I was weak at and I spent a great deal of time speeding up for my QA and just learned the structure of the type of RC questions. Working on my weaknesses really helped the second time around.

I hope that was helpful! Good luck to the rest of you!

My score... took it today!

Verbal 58
Biology 99
RC 94
QA 61
Chemistry 98
Composite 95

I know I did pretty horrible in verbal, but not really worrying about it. Some of the questions did come from Dr. Collin's packet.

For Biology, I wasn't really worrying about it because it is what I'm strong at. But I think the most helpful resources would be Kaplan and Dr. Collin's packet!

I didn't study for RC except the 3 Pearson tests and even on those I was getting in 60-70 percentile. The best advise I can give for this is if you are not a speed reader then practice, practice, practice. I recommend using Kaplan for reading or maybe pick up an MCAT reading comprehension book! Also when you go to pick an answer MAKE sure it's supported in the passage or it was mentioned somewhere in there! Don't pick an answer just because you think it sounds right.

Math, I completely lost track of time. There was soo much calc/pre calc on there. I feel like it took so much time just reading the questions! Even here, I would say to practice! I don't think Collins was very good for this section except for practice. The Pearson tests are more like the Math section on the PCAT.

Chemistry - COLLINS! I was worrying about my chem score a lot but Collins saved my butt! I would have never gotten such a high score without it. I know a lot of people on here were saying that Collins helped them get a high score in this section and I use to think to myself that it can't be just because of the packet, they must have done well in their classes as well. Well take it from someone who got an A in chem but learned absolutely NOTHING because the class was too dang easy to pass. Collins is the best for this section

Here are my scores:

Verbal Ability: 87%
Biology: 99%
Reading Comprehension: 86%
Quantitative Ability: 85%
Chemistry: 99%
Composite: 98%

Overall, I would say that I studied similar material to others...Collins and Kaplan. But if you want more details I have written a detailed post here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=973637

Happy to be done with this! Good luck to everyone else!

hi everyone, i just took my very first PCAT today and i did terrible on them. I purchased the Dr. Collin from someone , and to be honest i have no idea what version is my package (i guess 2010 maybe!!). Should i buy a newest version from his official website in order to get the latest questions and materials? Thanks

Hello everyone! I came here for a buddy of mine who took his PCAT today. His scores are as followed..

Verbal.. 60%
Biology.. 97%
Chemistry.. 99%
Reading.. 81%
Quantitative.. 27%
Composite.. 87%

I don't know much about the PCAT scoring/analysis. As you can tell, I think his main concern is with his score in quantitative. Do you guys think this will be a big red flag & keep him from getting any acceptances? He said he really doesn't want to re-take the test as he is happy with his overall composite score & other sections. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

hi everyone, i just took my very first PCAT today and i did terrible on them. I purchased the Dr. Collin from someone , and to be honest i have no idea what version is my package (i guess 2010 maybe!!). Should i buy a newest version from his official website in order to get the latest questions and materials? Thanks

Princeton Review = my #1 recommendation.
#2: McGraw Hill
PLUS, buy ALL three practice tests. Go through them multiple times, read all answer explanations, especially the analogies. The practice tests will help you become familiar with the types of questions they ask and the language the use in asking the questions. The answer explanations will also help you evaluate how you're analyzing the questions and responding to them.

I used these tools and got a composite score of 94. Good luck.

I used Dr. Collins and it was so worth it! Particularly for chem and bio! Some of the questions were repeats. I got a 91% composite even though I didn't do so hot in verbal and reading but I didn't study for those subjects.

about three weeks and they'll post it online for you to see! keep checking your email!

They should also send you your score by mail which arrives 1 week after they posted your score online!

Post your writing score and the mean writing score for January 2013 PCAT on this thread once the official scores are in.

Does anyone know how our scores get reported to the colleges we apply to? Does Pearson simply mail the transcript of the results to the "recipient schools" or do we need to manually do something in order to get these reported?

Secondly, how close to the official results do prelim scores suggest?

Anyways,

Prelim scores:

97 composite: off the top of my head (sorry I don't have the results here with me)

VA: about 80
BIO: 99
CHEM: 91
RC: 90
QUANT: 87

Studied lightly for about a month, I really took it a bit too easy. I forgot a lot of material because I'm in my last year of undergrad but review gave me a bit of a refresher. I also skipped the last week of school and am now incredibly behind in my classes due to putting off this test until now.

I used an older version of Dr.Collins, which I thought was good because it provided relevant sample tests (they were all a lot easier than the actual pcat, and the structure of questions- especially for the chem orgo and math section was completely different). However, it organizes everything well so you don't have to actively seek out alternative resources- keep in mind that it won't cover everything that is asked, it probably only provides a 60% return on material at most- and the way the questions are asked in regards to this will be way different on the actual exam. The RC section of the Collins PCAT is useless- although I didn't study for this at all.....surprised I did so well because it was extremely difficult- timing was a huge issue. I thought it helped in Biol, but I was already pretty well versed because it's my major...and I've taken so many relevant courses. I found it to be marginally helpful for chem and verbal, and extremely lacking in the quantitative and RC portion (more so RC). The reason why I say it's lacking in quantative is not because it doesn't provide relevant practice....it provides a great means of review....but the only relevant material for my exam that was helpful was things I already knew (i.e logs and simplfying rational functions, max/min derivatives, etc.). There were so many obscure questions on the actual exam that I haven't seen for a long time....and I thought math was probably one of my strongest subjects entering the test. However, I did end up leaving about 5 questions blank on QA because I forgot about the timer interface and the prompt popped suddenly.

If anyone has any further questions, I will try my best to answer...I didn't study for the RC or Verbal section. I am a pretty good writer I would think....but I don't read anything besides newspapers and discussion boards (mostly about sports).

Also a tip to others when writing is not to dwell too much on the actual exam...once your done a section, just drop the weight of that portion off your shoulders and go onto the next. Secondly, use the ear plugs provided....I wish I used them because there was ambient noise in my test center from the outside which was really distracting- the sad part was that it was loudest for the RC section and I couldn't hear my own thoughts. Other points....Half the chem section is orgo as well.....watch out for this. I suck at/forgot everything about Orgo too so I ended up feeling really bad after I finished..

Last edited:
Well... since I took the test at such a late date, I guess whatever I have to say will only interest people planning to apply in the next cycle.

Prelim Scores:

VA - 82
Bio - 84
RC - 81
QA - 97
Chem - 88

Composite - 93

Okay so I'm not qualified to post any "How to get 99%" or "How to Succeed" threads, but I'll post my experience in case it helps anyone.

I used Kaplan 2012-2013 Study Guide. First of all, even though it says 2012-2013, it actually does not include any content that reflects the PCAT curriculum changes this year. That would include nutrition and disease, and the removal of non-animal biology questions. I basically spent 5 hours a week for 3 weeks before my pcat (and one full day of studying the day before) going through this book. Just highlighting key components.

The Good:
- Pretty extensive biology section
- Diagnostic section at the start is useful at gauging your proficiency at the subject
- Good review at the end of every chapter
- Includes a free practice test online

The Bad:
- Does not reflect new curriculum
- Essentially has zero O-Chem content
- Felt that only 20-30% of content was actually on the test

I recommend doing the review problems at the end of every chapter. Actually do it. So write it on paper don't just think of the answer in your head and move on. When you get an answer wrong, try not to read the explanation given; instead, go back and review that section again. Consult the explanation only to confirm or if you are really stumped and can't find it in the book.

Once you've prepared enough (really shouldn't spend too much time on it), do the Kaplan practice test. The score or the questions don't truly reflect what is on the test, but the format and the time allotted gives you a feel of how fast you need to go through each section.

As for the test itself, there's not much. In my opinion, I feel that PCAT tests more of how well you can deduce answers from clues rather than straight up facts. I'm pretty sure I covered most the biology from the Kaplan book (and there is an extensive section on biology), yet when I did the test I felt like I couldn't apply much of what I learned. The questions were so random and specific. So basically this is how I answered questions:
1) Give myself only ~30 seconds to do the question.
2) If I don't know the answer right away, eliminate as many possible answers as I can. Instead of thinking what the answer could be, think of what it couldn't be.
3) If I've spent more than 1 minute, follow my gut and pick a random answer and flag the question for review. Move on.
4) Always gauge how well you are progressing. If you're given 40 minutes on QA to solve 48 questions, you better be at least past question 12 when there is 30 minutes left. Even though I scored 97 on QA, I was forced to randomly pick answers for about 3-5 questions (because I didn't know how to do it) and the last 5 questions I never got to answer because I was too stubborn on one of the questions.
5) Don't get hung up on previous questions. Remind yourself that you'll have a chance to review the flagged questions later, and that the PCAT doesn't score some questions anyways so you may have gotten lucky. Last thing you need is for the last question to interfere with your current question.

Really, I felt that everything on the test I did not know how to do and that it wasn't in the Kaplan book. Really specific biology questions and a crap load of organic chemistry really killed me (I don't know anything about orgo). Basically I almost considered the "no score" option at the end but decided against it (I seriously felt that I didn't know anything in chemistry or biology). My results surprised me quite a bit. So when you have your break, just relax and don't freak out about the test!

As for what I would have done if I could have done it again, I would say space out my studies. Have a plan to get a certain amount of studying done per week and plan for special circumstances. I managed my time extremely poorly, and only got through biology and skimmed through chem before doing the test. I never touched QA RC or VA. If you're feeling up to it, I know there are apps for smartphones that have vocabulary flashcard testing. I'm pretty sure VA analogies pulls their words from a giant databank, and if you spend half an hour to an hour a day just doing the flashcards, you'll eventually know most the words. I didn't do this, but my brother did the GRE and that's how he studied for his VA (told me it worked out pretty well).

Yeup. That's basically my experience with Kaplan and PCAT.

I took the PCAT January 7th and scored in the 94th percentile on the preliminary report. Very excited, hopefully I get into the University of Wisconsin or UIC. Are there any students there currently, and do you think I have a chance

When are the official scores coming out I'm getting anxious? I want to see my writing scores. I know I did better on one of the essays. I'm curious to see which one they grade.

Last edited:
When are the official scores coming out I'm getting anxious? I want to see my writing scores. I know I did better on one of the essays. I'm curious to see which one they grade.

ahh i am dying waiting for them!! I took mine on the 9th of january.. still nothing =(

"Within 5 weeks following the end of the testing window..."

Scores should be up next week according to Pearson. :luck: