January/February CPJE 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJPharmDM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Seem like the batch for novemeber-mid January has ended because score has been released (no predates). Congratulation to those who passed last batch. I started a new tread for test taker in the new batch so hopefully everyone can communicate and help each other pass the struggle of CPJE. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

To future tester

I took exam in in novemeber,December, January batch and received a passing grade. I failed the CPJE 3x (74%,66%,71%)while being employed for a retail company before I was let go. Ended up in the realm of broke, no income to support a family of 4, had to move back into parent . Wife ended up working two jobs while we defer my student loans. Also a passing of a love one due to hemorrhagic stroke did not help. Sometimes I felt like I was being punish.

I used to attend church weekly and stopped later on in my life when I got into college, learn science, and slowly lost faith. After the 3rd failure, I started attending church again, got my children baptize, and pray almost daily. I feel like there is a presence that will guide and show you the way. Please try with whatever faith you believe in and I think it will help.

I understand the horror story of how the board of pharmacy has been handling tester application, scoring, and difficulty of this exam and wanted to share the general tips that I have.

I bought every material there is for cpje. Rxprep 2017 edition(graduated 2017 and were in 19!!!), pharmacy chart, grisoll CPJE, Weissman law book, Rxprep CPJE summary, and pass naplex now.

I actually studied from all of these materials. First attempt mostly Rxprep one week after naplex exam scoring in high 90’s. Second attempt I used Rxprep and grisoll. 3rd pharmacy chart. 4th PassNAPLEXnow combined with Rxprep for more details and Rxprep CPJE summary. Of all the material for the CPJE, I highly advise Rxprep as a reference book, PassNAPLEXnow as your main study points, Rxprep CPJE summary, and wiseman as reference book.

While I was studying and taking self notes, I felt I kept studying the material over and over again. When I forgot a topic, I went back and restudy the whole topic!!! What a waste of time!!!

I changed my study habit and note takings to similar outlines like a table of content. All the major study material we study from will just list HTN chapter etc, but no subcategory. I started making subcategories on the side of my notes like HTN guidelines, patient population (CKd,Hf, etc), RAAS, then drug category like thiazide, loops, etc.

When I forget a topic like HTN, I would only look at the subcategories I created and see what I can pull out on the top of my head. If I did not know the answer, I would study that area. It saved so much more time than studying the chapters again. The Rxprep CPJE law summary portion has a build in table of content. I read that book more than 4x and I was wasting time. So I started just looking at their table of content and quizzing myself on the topics. I highly recommend trying this method of study and I found it most effective for me. Everyone study differently, but it worth a shot. Hopefully I helped someone. Good luck !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To future tester

I took exam in in novemeber,December, January batch and received a passing grade. I failed the CPJE 3x (74%,66%,71%)while being employed for a retail company before I was let go. Ended up in the realm of broke, no income to support a family of 4, had to move back into parent . Wife ended up working two jobs while we defer my student loans. Also a passing of a love one due to hemorrhagic stroke did not help. Sometimes I felt like I was being punish.

I used to attend church weekly and stopped later on in my life when I got into college, learn science, and slowly lost faith. After the 3rd failure, I started attending church again, got my children baptize, and pray almost daily. I feel like there is a presence that will guide and show you the way. Please try with whatever faith you believe in and I think it will help.

I understand the horror story of how the board of pharmacy has been handling tester application, scoring, and difficulty of this exam and wanted to share the general tips that I have.

I bought every material there is for cpje. Rxprep 2017 edition(graduated 2017 and were in 19!!!), pharmacy chart, grisoll CPJE, Weissman law book, Rxprep CPJE summary, and pass naplex now.

I actually studied from all of these materials. First attempt mostly Rxprep one week after naplex exam scoring in high 90’s. Second attempt I used Rxprep and grisoll. 3rd pharmacy chart. 4th PassNAPLEXnow combined with Rxprep for more details and Rxprep CPJE summary. Of all the material for the CPJE, I highly advise Rxprep as a reference book, PassNAPLEXnow as your main study points, Rxprep CPJE summary, and wiseman as reference book.

While I was studying and taking self notes, I felt I kept studying the material over and over again. When I forgot a topic, I went back and restudy the whole topic!!! What a waste of time!!!

I changed my study habit and note takings to similar outlines like a table of content. All the major study material we study from will just list HTN chapter etc, but no subcategory. I started making subcategories on the side of my notes like HTN guidelines, patient population (CKd,Hf, etc), RAAS, then drug category like thiazide, loops, etc.

When I forget a topic like HTN, I would only look at the subcategories I created and see what I can pull out on the top of my head. If I did not know the answer, I would study that area. It saved so much more time than studying the chapters again. The Rxprep CPJE law summary portion has a build in table of content. I read that book more than 4x and I was wasting time. So I started just looking at their table of content and quizzing myself on the topics. I highly recommend trying this method of study and I found it most effective for me. Everyone study differently, but it worth a shot. Hopefully I helped someone. Good luck !!

Congratulation!!! You deserve it! I study similar to the way you indicated. Lastly, I also tried to make study group online, but people are just cycling past exam questions around and was not very responsive till after I took my exam first. When I posted I took my exam, I would get flooded with question about what question/topic I got on my exam in conversation.

I did not share and I’m sorry for those that did not pass. Do not fall into studying exam questions, it will limit your study focus. Study like you want to be a good clinical pharmacist, even for retail profession!!! Finally can start my residency program cause board took over 4 month since I graduated in 2018 to process my applications.

Reactions: 2 users
While I am very frustrated at the process of the CPJE, I am doubly impressed by the sharing of personal experience and explications of how people studied - both when they failed and when they passed. Everyone does learn differently, but hearing how one person finally was able to pass by changing the way they studied - it's inspiring.

For those of you who have tried RxPrep Online course and the PassNaplexNow online course - would you say there are significant differences? I have the RxPrep Online and the sample videos of PNN don't seem drastically different, but it's only a very small sample.

Also, are there any CPJE tutors or any resources your CA pharmacy stools offer for prep (I'm from out of state)? I'm hoping 3rd time is the charm for me, as I found out yesterday I did not pass my 2nd attempt. Needing to find additional resources to make the 3rd time THE time! Thanks in advance for any tips/resources!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking mines probably mid February to give me extra time. Kind of sad I can't gauge how well I did on my Naplex since I'm still waiting for the scores to arrive. Well back to RxPrep! I'll be solely using that and some condensed pharmacy charts for studying.

@GoGoNAplex :laugh: Similar boat as you in waiting for the CA application process. Surprised your program has waited for you this long; that is pretty awesome. All my class mates are already practicing for like 6 months while I'm still here studying for the law boards.

Hi everyone,

Seem like the batch for novemeber-mid January has ended because score has been released (no predates). Congratulation to those who passed last batch. I started a new tread for test taker in the new batch so hopefully everyone can communicate and help each other pass the struggle of CPJE. Good luck!!!
Hello there i have taken CPJE for 3 times and didn’t pass scored 71 in my lase trial i inow i have only 4 trials so i need honest support what to do?!!

Hello!
I just thought I'd leave a post here saying that I made a study discord for anyone who might want to join.
Feel free to message me for the link. Best of luck everyone! (Re-)taking my exam at the end of the month!

Has anyone taken this batch's exam yet? Looks like we have until March 2 (then no testing again until April 3) to take it! Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone,

Im taking CPJE thrid time in March, any advise or study tips please?

I have read on other forums about different versions of the information bulletin. Does anyone know if this is correct? I haven't had any luck finding other issues than the one sent to me. i'd love to get some more sample questions for practice.

additionally if anyone has taken a practice test that they could recommend that would be great!

Im taking CPJE thrid time in March, any advise or study tips please?

Have you taken the CPJE this batch yet? I’m scheduled to take it March 2 and am nervous but eager/excited to take it again. Like you, it’s my third try. I’m interested to hear what you thought I’d if compare to the previous attempts! Hope it went well if you took it and good luck if you haven’t yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone already taken this Jan or Feb, can you share your experience? How hard was it and how did you prepared for it?

Just recently took it and thought it wasn't too bad as I expected coming off taking the Naplex 6 weeks ago. The questions weren't as random and were mostly practical I would say; like if you have any community experience or stepped in a hospital would likely to encounter scenarios. However it would help if you have a good general base to work with. Since a lot of the questions you could eliminate like 2 of them if not one and there are only 4 choices of course and none select all of the above. Like 6 questions I was 50/50 on I got right.

Also I didn't walk out feeling terrible so that should be a good sign we'll see :soexcited:. Now we wait.

Lucky One, thanks for the response. I'm taking it tomorrow. Good luck to you

Hey guys! I took mine in Feb and the results for this batch should come out next week! I am so nervous and I thought it was a hard test...

Hi! How do you know they are coming out this next week? Did you hear something?
Hey guys! I took mine in Feb and the results for this batch should come out next week! I am so nervous and I thought it was a hard test

Hey guys! I took mine in Feb and the results for this batch should come out next week! I am so nervous and I thought it was a hard test...
Yes it was a hard test. lets hope that means they grade it easier.

I called the BOP at his morning - they said results should be mailed out in 7-10 business days.

May I ask, who did you talk to? I just got off the phone with BOP myself and I was told that they very recently received the exam results from the January batch--not February or March--and are processing it now. I'm REALLY hoping she misinformed me and actually meant the batch of Jan/Feb/March. I took the exam on 3/1 and cannot bear to wait anymore (sorry for those of you who took it even longer ago than I did).

May I ask, who did you talk to? I just got off the phone with BOP myself and I was told that they very recently received the exam results from the January batch--not February or March--and are processing it now. I'm REALLY hoping she misinformed me and actually meant the batch of Jan/Feb/March. I took the exam on 3/1 and cannot bear to wait anymore (sorry for those of you who took it even longer ago than I did).

I too called them and the person told me 45 to 60 days from your test date is when you "will get your scores." This cant be right...

The secretary (?) who answers the phone initially always gives the generic "45-60 days from your exam date" response and has also told me before that there is "no such thing as a batch," and that scores are sent out on an individual basis. However when I asked to speak to someone else I was forwarded to the licensing manager. She said that in general it takes 1-2 days for them to process the scores and mail them out after they receive them from PSI. As of Friday, she was able to tell me that they had NOT yet received anything from PSI but to hang tight. So I'm guessing if you guys called today and she said they only very recently received them then maybe it was today? Hopefully that means our letters will be getting to us soon! FYI - I did tell her that my exam date was 3/2 and that was the info that she gave me so that must mean scores from Jan-March will be getting sent out.

The secretary (?) who answers the phone initially always gives the generic "45-60 days from your exam date" response and has also told me before that there is "no such thing as a batch," and that scores are sent out on an individual basis. However when I asked to speak to someone else I was forwarded to the licensing manager. She said that in general it takes 1-2 days for them to process the scores and mail them out after they receive them from PSI. As of Friday, she was able to tell me that they had NOT yet received anything from PSI but to hang tight. So I'm guessing if you guys called today and she said they only very recently received them then maybe it was today? Hopefully that means our letters will be getting to us soon! FYI - I did tell her that my exam date was 3/2 and that was the info that she gave me so that must mean scores from Jan-March will be getting sent out.

Hmm, alright. I guess I wasn't expecting it to take this long because I assumed the predate would be the last date of testing in March (3/2) and that the scores would be released ~2 weeks after.

The Board really don't know anything, do they? I, too, have mentioned the predate to them before and they all seemed clueless about it. It's absolutely ridiculous that we, the test takers, know more about the exam process than they do, which is their job. What kind of operation are they running over there?

Hmm, alright. I guess I wasn't expecting it to take this long because I assumed the predate would be the last date of testing in March (3/2) and that the scores would be released ~2 weeks after.

The Board really don't know anything, do they? I, too, have mentioned the predate to them before and they all seemed clueless about it. It's absolutely ridiculous that we, the test takers, know more about the exam process than they do, which is their job. What kind of operation are they running over there?

Its mind blowing. That's all I can say. I wish I accepted my medical school offer had I known board of pharmacy was going to be like this. And I agree with you 100%.

The testing process in CA is in need of some serious changes. The grading process is not published and misinformation is constantly given out by the BOP - case in point - the BOP absolutely sends out results in batches and they surley know the last date of the batch and know what the predate is. The only way the process will change is for us pharmacists to be the change. I encourage you all to use this link to voice your opinions. Only we know how it feels to put our lives on hold to study for this exam which will change our lives one way or another, and the insurmountable stress we are under during this unknown waiting period. We deserve to fully know the grading/curve/batch process, esp when it’s usually a 3 mo process from applying for the exam to getting results.

You can choose to submit this online complain form anonymously, too.

Public Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions - California Department of Consumer Affairs

I believe January batch is the janauary , February, March batch. The last batch was novemeber,December and some what January. Hope this helped.

I believe January batch is the janauary , February, March batch. The last batch was novemeber,December and some what January. Hope this helped.

That's what I thought. But when I tried to confirm this with the licensing manager (Nancy), she specifically said the February and March batch wasn't included, which is why I was super confused. To my understanding, the predate for the previous batch was 1/29, which means the "January batch" will only include 2 days (1/30 and 1/31) worth of test takers??? That makes zero sense.

:smack:

The most likely explanation is that lady was just confused and/or doesn't know how to do her job properly.

That's what I thought. But when I tried to confirm this with the licensing manager (Nancy), she specifically said the February and March batch wasn't included, which is why I was super confused. To my understanding, the predate for the previous batch was 1/29, which means the "January batch" will only include 2 days (1/30 and 1/31) worth of test takers??? That makes zero sense.

:smack:

The most likely explanation is that lady was just confused and/or doesn't know how to do her job properly.

Definitely the latter two. Lets just hope the amount of time they are taking to "grade" this BATCH (of a test) is only to our benefit.

So I'm gonna leave couple facts here specially for the ones who are not from California:

- What BOP is doing is pure politics. Instead of controlling the number of pharmacy schools (businesses) that keep on opening up, somehow they have decided delaying the application/testing/retake/and everything else pharmacy related that they can control, a long process to balance the number of pharmacists that will be left in the state.
- The whole "batch system" is a thing and the BOP is well aware of it. It is even mentioned at the beginning of the Weissman law questions book, so it's very interesting that the BOP pretends that they have no idea what a "batch" is when asked by test takers.
- The fact that BOP reported that exam results from the January batch--not February or March was released to them, makes absolutely no sense! The whole month of January was a off block and no tests were offered in the whole nation except for the first few days of January. So if the board is processing any test results from January it HAS TO include the results from the first few days of January/whole month of February/first 2 days of March.
- The BOP is overdue for a law suit, because what they are doing to test takers, specially new grads has an effect that is well beyond just causing financial difficulties.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
This issue is more serious than it seems, and unjust!

So I'm gonna leave couple facts here specially for the ones who are not from California:

- What BOP is doing is pure politics. Instead of controlling the number of pharmacy schools (businesses) that keep on opening up, somehow they have decided delaying the application/testing/retake/and everything else pharmacy related that they can control, a long process to balance the number of pharmacists that will be left in the state.
- The whole "batch system" is a thing and the BOP is well aware of it. It is even mentioned at the beginning of the Weissman law questions book, so it's very interesting that the BOP pretends that they have no idea what a "batch" is when asked by test takers.
- The fact that BOP reported that exam results from the January batch--not February or March was released to them, makes absolutely no sense! The whole month of January was a off block and no tests were offered in the whole nation except for the first few days of January. So if the board is processing any test results from January it HAS TO include the results from the first few days of January/whole month of February/first 2 days of March.
- The BOP is overdue for a law suit, because what they are doing to test takers, specially new grads has an effect that is well beyond just causing financial difficulties.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
This issue is more serious than it seems, and unjust!

This is very true. This was my theory as well. Honestly the board of pharmacy is like the DMV of all boards. People have to wait 60 days just to find out they failed? What kind of BS is that. How the board still remains standing is beyond what I can grasp. I just hope all of us who are in this mess pass the CPJE and if ever in Sacramento to please drive by the BOP, roll down your windows, and give them the beautiful american finger. That's all I ask.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys - I talked to Katrina (licensing manager) again this morning. She said that she was sorry that she had to be very vague in her response, but could confirm that as of the time of our conversation that results had not been put in the mail yet but will be VERY soon. She said to keep checking the mail in the next couple of days so fingers crossed that means they will be put in the mail later today or maybe tomorrow and will be in our mailboxes shortly after that. Looking forward to the end of this agonizing wait!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys - I talked to Katrina (licensing manager) again this morning. She said that she was sorry that she had to be very vague in her response, but could confirm that as of the time of our conversation that results had not been put in the mail yet but will be VERY soon. She said to keep checking the mail in the next couple of days so fingers crossed that means they will be put in the mail later today or maybe tomorrow and will be in our mailboxes shortly after that. Looking forward to the end of this agonizing wait!

Thank you for tracking her down. How did you even get a hold of her? I just hope the information she relayed to you is accurate. At this point, I feel like they're making us chase our own tails. Hopefully something positive will come from all this painful waiting and can finally get on with our lives. And make a difference in patients health like we planned, eons ago.

I just asked for her by name. The first time that I spoke to her I was transferred by the secretary. I hope so too - was looking forward to being able to either celebrate and/or formulate a new game plan by this weekend but looking like the odds for that are slim. :( Has anyone receive anything in informed delivery? I signed up but nothing yet.

I just asked for her by name. The first time that I spoke to her I was transferred by the secretary. I hope so too - was looking forward to being able to either celebrate and/or formulate a new game plan by this weekend but looking like the odds for that are slim. :( Has anyone receive anything in informed delivery? I signed up but nothing yet.

Nothing in informed deliveries yet :(

Nothing for me either. Ladies/Gents, looks like next week "might" be the week we find out.

It's finally over! Just got my informed consent this morning and the envelope looked dark plus I could see in the cutout that it said I successfully passed! :soexcited:

I'm on the east coast by the way so Katrina must have sent out the batch that day.

It's finally over! Just got my informed consent this morning and the envelope looked dark plus I could see in the cutout that it said I successfully passed! :soexcited:

I'm on the east coast by the way so Katrina must have sent out the batch that day.

Congrats!!! Can u please post a picture of the informed delivery. I signed up for that too but I have nothing yet.. scared to look.

I got the informed delivey just now. I’m in SoCal. Everyone should be getting it today! Good luck to us!!!

I am so happy for everyone who passed. Good Job. I was too late to sign up for informed delivery so I dont know yet. But will find out soon after my shift. But its good to hear people getting exciting results as we all worked very hard for this. Early congratulations!

Does this mean passing?!

Attachments

• 5BB7E0F5-6B57-430E-90D8-CB6213C558E0.jpeg
    5BB7E0F5-6B57-430E-90D8-CB6213C558E0.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 231

Congrats to everyone who passed!!! I took the exam on 3/2 and I'm in Hawaii... nothing in my informed delivery from this morning, hopefully tomorrow.