January MCAT & deferred acceptance DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member0987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my story. I submitted my AACOMAS application early October, took my MCAT late January, updated AACOMAS the first week of March. There were a couple of factors against me: late timing, hadn't taken a course >6 yrs, no advisor's letter and no science graded course letter, and I was told not to put too much hope into it (by friends and SDN). I guess I wanted it bad enough that I just want to focus on the 1 chance to be interviewed out of 99 chances to be rejected. I had exactly 1 interview offer to compete for a waitlist position and it turned into my only deferred acceptance. Now I have 1 year to do whatever I want and not have to worry about reapplying for the next cycle, and still have a chance for this cycle being on the waitlist.
I guess if you really really want it, keep your hope up, stay positive and give it your best shot. Have hope and good luck, but do apply as early as you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, but I'm honestly in shock that there's a school that accepted you with any science LORs. That's borderline unreal.

Hi,

This is my story. I submitted my AACOMAS application early October, took my MCAT late January, updated AACOMAS the first week of March. There were a couple of factors against me: late timing, hadn't taken a course >6 yrs, no advisor's letter and no science graded course letter, and I was told not to put too much hope into it (by friends and SDN). I guess I wanted it bad enough that I just want to focus on the 1 chance to be interviewed out of 99 chances to be rejected. I had exactly 1 interview offer to compete for a waitlist position and it turned into my only deferred acceptance. Now I have 1 year to do whatever I want and not have to worry about reapplying for the next cycle, and still have a chance for this cycle being on the waitlist.
I guess if you really really want it, keep your hope up, stay positive and give it your best shot. Have hope and good luck, but do apply as early as you can.

What school deferred you

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you find some good activities for the following year, such as: sleeping, sleeping, sleeping, not being charged with a felony, and sleeping.

Congrats! I want to know what school, too! :)

There is an extremely good chance your deferred acceptance will become an acceptance. But if you do have the year off, pursue whatever passions you will have to give up during your medical education/residency.

Just generally curious here...

Say you are wait listed and ranked highly at your #1, and gain acceptances nowhere. Is it at all possible or commonplace to negotiate a deferred acceptance to the following cycle if your aren't offerred a seat for the current cycle?

I would think this would be fair game. It was explained to me by a state-MD adcom that when they put you on a waitlist "We like you, we just want to make sure that you're the best fit for us". If you don't get pulled, then you have to go through the crapshoot all over again even though the school admittedly likes you enough to consider you and not outright hand over a rejection.

Congrats, but I'm honestly in shock that there's a school that accepted you with any science LORs. That's borderline unreal.
I was rejected ~on the spot~ from another school for not having academic letters. For this school, I did have letters from academic science researchers, just not academic science graded course letter.

I suggest you find some good activities for the following year, such as: sleeping, sleeping, sleeping, not being charged with a felony, and sleeping.
I'm planning on storing up as much fat as I can to prep for med school :laugh:

Did the school give you a deferred acceptance or did you get moved up the waiting list but deferred it at the last minute?
No, I got straight up deferred acceptance.

Just generally curious here...

Say you are wait listed and ranked highly at your #1, and gain acceptances nowhere. Is it at all possible or commonplace to negotiate a deferred acceptance to the following cycle if your aren't offerred a seat for the current cycle?

I would think this would be fair game. It was explained to me by a state-MD adcom that when they put you on a waitlist "We like you, we just want to make sure that you're the best fit for us". If you don't get pulled, then you have to go through the crapshoot all over again even though the school admittedly likes you enough to consider you and not outright hand over a rejection.

I don't know :) I was hoping for a waitlist and planning on reapply this year, but I got more than I hoped for. It seems that there are 4 status: accepted / deffered / waitlisted / denied.