• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

lfc-2086

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I thought it would be best to create a thread specifically for the scores. I'll start:

Verbal Ability: 405 60
Biology: 420 80
Reading: 412 69
Math: 427 87
Chemistry: 467 99
Composite: 426 90

Writing 3

I can't imagine what my score would've been had I done better in the English sections. By the way I'm in Atlanta, Georgia for those of you wondering.

leoproductionz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Palm Bay/Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Verbal Ability: 405 60
Biology: 438 93
Reading: 417 76
Quantitative: 424 85
Chemistry: 439 93
Composite: 425 89

Writing 3 <---- I thought this would have been lower because I hated my essay and I did not have time to change what I wrote.

I live in FL

lfc-2086

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
This is what I don't understand about the PCAT... I would think your composite would be higher than mine... :confused:

About the Ads

Leb

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Congrats to all of the high rollers.
I've taken it for the first time this time, and dont know what to expect. Hopefully good though, But it seems that everybody is getting high scores. I have not seen but one post below 76 % so far.

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
His composite is a 425, and you had a 426. If you get 450, it's a 99 percentile. So if you score like 550 on your math section, and 350 (which is less than 50% on your english), average score is 450, which is still 99 percentile.

400 = 50%
>450 = 99%

the other numbers are just in between...

ok...where is my mailman????

I'm so nervous!!! Why do I always bomb the PCAT?? why???

hreiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Richmond, VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I think there is more to it than greater than 450 equals 99. Because I got 451 in the verbal and the Reading and ended up with 97 and 98 respectively. Although averaging it seems to give the composite on this test. However averaging the first time I took it did not equal my composite. I think they most weight a score at times.

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
You don't really add them all up and divide by 5, but if u get 450, it's a 99%...give a take 1 or 2 points. But let's say if u get 550, it's still 99%, but it would help offset your lower sections. I am still waiting for my score. I am soooooo nervous.

pharmdiva

Accepted pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
To all of the first timers: Do not despair if your scores are not where you want them to be. I'm speaking from experience. I took the first exam in October and made a 72 percentile :thumbdown: . I was extremely disappointed especially after reading all the posts of scores over 80 percentile. My January stats are as followed:
Verbal ability 90
Biology 95
Reading Comprehension 87
Quantitative Ability 91
Chemistry 73
Writing 3 (i hated the essay)
Composite 93 :thumbup:

I strictly studied from the Kaplan Review book and the PCAT flashcard book. If you are like me - I did not have money to enroll in one of those high priced review classes. IMO experience is the best teacher in regards to the exam. If you are less than satisfied w/your score - take a deep breath and gear up for the next exam. I graduated from college 7 yrs ago - so if I can do it...anyone can!

phrmboy123

Hi There
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
good job to all of you who did well this time around!!!

As a reminder, if you didnt do so hot, dont get too nervous that everyone else did soooo much better. Usually the ones who post their scores are those who did extremely well, and that is hardly the majority of the ppl that took the exam!

Good luck to everyone!:luck:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Falokis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Auburn, AL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Finally.....

Verbal 424 84% (i'm shocked, I only know curse words)
Biology 478 99%
Reading 408 62% (sad thing is I'm a native English speaker)
Quant 404 61% (2+2 = 5, I'm not suprised. I knew I screwed up)
Chem 435 91%
composite 430 91%

I'm actually unhappy because I could have done better in math. Hell, I thought I was a math person. Now, I feel like a ******. Oh well, this is good enough. I hope.

About the Ads

Flamenco Pharm

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Falokis, our scores are disturbingly similar.

Verbal 424 84% (English is my THIRD language, bummer)
Biology 453 97%
Read. C. 412 69% (Derek Zoolander School for Children That Don't Read Good)
Quant. 404 61% (4+4=jello)
Chem. 439 93%
Comp. 426 90%

Good luck to everyone, see ya'll in school.

Julianne

War Eagle!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Finally.....

Verbal 424 84% (i'm shocked, I only know curse words)
Biology 478 99%
Reading 408 62% (sad thing is I'm a native English speaker)
Quant 404 61% (2+2 = 5, I'm not suprised. I knew I screwed up)
Chem 435 91%
composite 430 91%

I'm actually unhappy because I could have done better in math. Hell, I thought I was a math person. Now, I feel like a ******. Oh well, this is good enough. I hope.

I think you'll be fine!! Let us know when (and where) you get in, OK??

kmachiavelli

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I'm in Chicago and I just got my scores yesterday:
Verbal 443 95
Biology 482 99
Reading 434 92
Quant. 424 85
Chem. 404 60
Composite 437 96

Oh man I am so happy!! I graduated from college 3 years ago and haven't taken any courses since. Plus I only studied for the math section! Guess I should have studied for chemistry too, but I'm not complaining. CCP here I come!

dreamangel17s

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
hi everyone! i'm new here! i just thought i post up my scores too. this is my first time taking this test, would anyone care to help me interpret these scores and tell me if they're ok?
verbal 420 80
biology 420 80
reading 417 76
math 415 76
chem 423 83
composite 419 83
writing 3

i know that the %rank tells you the %age of people you scored higher than, but what about the numbers for the composite? my gpa is 3.75...
should i be worried?:(

AlphieRay

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Wow, I was mostly satisfied with my score until reading these forums. It was my first time taking the PCAT, and my composite was a 78; my writing was a 4. Should I be worried? I know I should take it again, but I'm concerned that it won't improve... ps my Math and Chem were high, but my biology was really low (is that likely to hurt me more?) :(:confused::eek::scared:

kharyzma19

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I live in New York. I got my scores back today

verbal 410 68
bio 411 69
reading 396 43
quant 409 68
chem 419 80

comp 409 68%

boooooo! I waited 6 weeks for these boooty scores!:eek:

longstech

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Don't know if I'll get in with these scores b/c of my gpa (which is barely 3.0), but I'm still REALLY excited cuz these scores are better than before!

verbal 443/95
biology 433/90
reading 408/62
quant 399/52
chem 423/83
comp 421/85

writing 4

Falokis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Auburn, AL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
For the multiple people asking..... if you have a 3.4+GPA and a 75+ PCAT, you have a great chance of getting in somewhere. That is if everything else looks good too. Don't be worried. Remember, that 75% is in the top 25% of people taking the PCAT. That's not bad at all.

About the Ads

Holycani

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
Got my scores today, here they are:
Verbal: 420 80% (english sux!)
Biology: 464 99%
Reading: 442 95%
Math: 498 99%
Chem: 467 99%
Composite 458 99%
I am very happy with my scores but I have a question;
can one really get over 500 in the scale score? I know the PCAT home page says 200-600 with a mean of 400 but I found a school that said that 500 is the max. I am curious because i expected to get close to 600 in the math and maybe 550 in the bio. I have always done very well on the scaled scores of those sections. I am also curious because although i have seen many 99% posted in this and other threads I am yet to see a score over 500. Any thoughts? thank you!

DrZion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I am soooooooooooo happy with a 73!!! Not that it matter since I already got accepted!!! But after taking this damn test for like a 100000 times, I finally made it up to above 70.
Can u tell me how many times you,ve taken this test. This is my 3rd and i still don,t have up to 60s. I don't know if i'm not smart enough.

Gator21

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I just got my scores, and improved a good bit from the first time since i hadnt studied the first time around, but my scores went down in 2 sections that i did much better the first time without studying! wat the hell can i do now?

AlphieRay

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I noticed everyone has done really well in the Bio sections.. and that was my lowest score! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve that score? Thanks!

gators14

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I was really shcoked by bu Bio score..it was a 76.. i thought i did really bad in htat section. I don't know what to really tell you. I think i got lucky. Every practice test I find I ace the bio section. It seems that on the real PCAT they have random picky questions

Leb

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I got my scores today:
Verbal : 405 60% (not bad considering iam an international student)
Biology: 428 87% (I thought i did better,,oh well)
Reading comp.: 428 87% (Great bcs once again english is not my 1st lang.)
Math: 459: 98 % (I really thought i will get in the 490s, slightly disapp.)
Chemistry: 500 99% (very pleased.I doubt i missed any..iam a chemistry major)

Essay.........2!!!!!!!!! (i misunderstood the topic,,disappointed)
Composite: 444 98%
I think for an international student you cant go much above that score bcs the 2 english sections will always be a burden that lowers the over all score. However i feel i had the potential to get 500 s on all the sciences, but in a paper and pencil test, you will always mess up i guess.
This is my first PCAT test.....Iam very pleased.
Good luck to all you guys, and i hope you get accepted to the desired schools, or do much better on the june PCAT test in case you plan to retake it.

virginiapharm

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hi,

I received: composite 95 percentile - writing test 3 - nothing less than 85 th percentile for all categories. I have been out of school for many years and studied a couple of months to refresh memory. I am very pleased. Thank god.

About the Ads

PensiveNoodle

Pensively eating ramen...
10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hi guys--wanted to get your opinion about my scores:

Verbal: 451, 97%
Biology: 464, 99%
Reading Comprehension: 442, 95%
Quantitative: 430, 89%
Chemsitry: 410, 69%
Composite: 439, 97%
Writing: 3

It seems like I ran out of gas as the time wore on...:p
Anyways, do you think I should retake the exam to boost up chemistry? I graduated from college a year ago and did horribly in chemistry and many of my other sci classes (ie, one quarter I got all C's). I would like to show adcoms that I'm committed and am trying to improve, so do you think I should really push harder on the subjects that I was weak in college?

Thanks!

haruhi

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
what about if my verbal just died? reading comp and verbal were around 70 and essay was 3. x_X the sciences were all in the high 90s

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
Omaha, NE via Lincoln, NE - Home of college footba
unl.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
what about if my verbal just died? reading comp and verbal were around 70 and essay was 3. x_X the sciences were all in the high 90s

gators14 is referring to people with a 90+ composite (overall) score on the PCAT.;)

As for you, your scores sound fine as you probably have a 90+ anyway.

2bpharmD

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I got my scores today:
Verbal : 405 60% (not bad considering iam an international student)
Biology: 428 87% (I thought i did better,,oh well)
Reading comp.: 428 87% (Great bcs once again english is not my 1st lang.)
Math: 459: 98 % (I really thought i will get in the 490s, slightly disapp.)
Chemistry: 500 99% (very pleased.I doubt i missed any..iam a chemistry major)

Essay.........2!!!!!!!!! (i misunderstood the topic,,disappointed)
Composite: 444 98%
I think for an international student you cant go much above that score bcs the 2 english sections will always be a burden that lowers the over all score. However i feel i had the potential to get 500 s on all the sciences, but in a paper and pencil test, you will always mess up i guess.
This is my first PCAT test.....Iam very pleased.
Good luck to all you guys, and i hope you get accepted to the desired schools, or do much better on the june PCAT test in case you plan to retake it.
How did u prepared for the PCAT??? U have got Wonderful PCAT scores...........WEll DONE.
Please help me, so i can ace my PCAT's..
Thanks

zohaibab

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Composite of 87 with a writing score of 4 and both biology and chemistry in the 90's. That's all I will say. With a composite of 87 and a 3.91 PharmCAS GPA, I am expecting interviews. Damn Albany for trapping me into enroling with them!

Leb

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
How did u prepared for the PCAT??? U have got Wonderful PCAT scores...........WEll DONE.
Thanks
All what i did for preparation was to buy the Kaplan 2007 and REA PCAT FlashCards book to prepare for the PCAT. I studied then thoroughly. As for the Math, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, i have benefited a lot from my GRE preparation. Barron's GRE book helped me to learn how to deal with tricky math questions as well as improving my vocabulary and reading skills

But i will tell you this, i think it is what you already know that counts as far as PCAT is concerned. All these books aim to prepare you to take the test, but it counts on you having the basic knowledge in every field. However, they can be of great value to use for the preparation. But if you are weak in sciences, i'd advice you to brush up using your college books.
Overall it is not impossible, actually it is very feasible to score in the 90s. I have read from many students who scored in 40s on their first, then jumped to 80s-90s on their second test.

suntzu

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Seattle, WA
Got my scores today, here they are:
Verbal: 420 80% (english sux!)
Biology: 464 99%
Reading: 442 95%
Math: 498 99%
Chem: 467 99%
Composite 458 99%
I am very happy with my scores but I have a question;
can one really get over 500 in the scale score? I know the PCAT home page says 200-600 with a mean of 400 but I found a school that said that 500 is the max. I am curious because i expected to get close to 600 in the math and maybe 550 in the bio. I have always done very well on the scaled scores of those sections. I am also curious because although i have seen many 99% posted in this and other threads I am yet to see a score over 500. Any thoughts? thank you!

Wow, nice job! It is possible to get scores over 500; I got a 502 chem on the fall '06 test, and I saw another 501 chem here somewhere. You'd expect to see a few 600's, though. . .especially in math.
In any case, nice job on the test!

TexasBlaze

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hey Guys Got my SCORES TODAY!!!!!

Verbal.....43
Biology....93
Reading...62
Math.......96
Chemistry.93

Composite...89

Do you think this is good? I got really bad in verbal and reading, I am not too happy with that. But overall I think 89 is competitive...

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
unl.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Hey Guys Got my SCORES TODAY!!!!!

Verbal.....43
Biology....93
Reading...62
Math.......96
Chemistry.93

Composite...89

Do you think this is good? I got really bad in verbal and reading, I am not too happy with that. But overall I think 89 is competitive...

An 89 composite is above average for most pharmacy schools so I think you are just fine.:cool:

LowGPAHighPCAT

Use the Schwartz!
10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks

To those of you who are wanting advice on how to study for it, here is how I did it. First, let me say that I scored a 95 overall and that was with a 55 on the math section (I didn't study for it well enough and then mistimed it during the test). Anyway, three words.....KAPLAN STUDY GUIDE. But here is the kicker - don't get a PCAT Kaplan study guide - get an MCAT Kaplan study guide and then review the math section from somewhere else. I score 95% to 99% in every subject except for the math section. I'm telling you - that's the way to go. You get a more in-depth review and it makes the questions on the PCAT seem easier.

Julianne

War Eagle!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I also don't think that people are bragging, per se, just excited to have scored so well - and I think they've earned the right to pat themselves on the back, don't you? Hell, I was beaming about my 75 (I did the best I could with the knowledge that I had at the time and I was proud of the results) :)

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
unl.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Is this thread set up specifically for bragging rights??

Given that the PCAT is one of the focal points of one's pharmacy school application as well as a stressful and difficult test for many, I think people post their scores as a release and recognition of a triumph. Every time I post my scores on this board, I don't do it with a "Yeah, I'm better than all of you" mentality.

I understand that a person who worked his or her butt off and scored less than an 80 or even a 70 on the PCAT may be emotionally deflated when seeing all these 80s and 90s on this board. However, I rarely saw a post on this board that wasn't supportive of people who didn't score well on the PCAT. We see more replies of support with suggestions to improve the score as opposed to crap like "go apply to schools in the Caribbean".

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.