JC Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it definitely doesn't look good, but does it look bad if you take JC classes while doing ur undergrad at a 4 year school? If so how bad? Right now I m taking a 17 unit load at my 4 year school (Cal berkeley) but i m also taking a calculus class at the local JC which meets at nights. How bad will this look?

Members don't see this ad.

it will look like you are trying to avoid takeing calculus at your 4 year school. If you are going to take JC classes, take them during the winter break or the summer break, but don't take them while you are also taking courses at your four year, it doesn't make any sense. Why didn't you just take it at your 4 year?

JDAD said:
it will look like you are trying to avoid takeing calculus at your 4 year school. If you are going to take JC classes, take them during the winter break or the summer break, but don't take them while you are also taking courses at your four year, it doesn't make any sense. Why didn't you just take it at your 4 year?

BC I am a senior and was originally trying to graduate in 4.5 years but now I am going to try to graduate in 4 years so I need to squeeze in a lot of classes in the next 2 semesters. Calculus at JC is definitely easier but it is also at a more convinient time. This is the only JC class I have taken so far (accept for the few i took while i was still in HS).

Members don't see this ad :)
JDAD said:

How bad do u think this will look? Do adcoms really have the time to scrutinize and look into ur app this deeply?

NRAI2001 said:
How bad do u think this will look? Do adcoms really have the time to scrutinize and look into ur app this deeply?

Okay... be realistic about this. We've all heard that it's "bad" and is not advisable for reasons previously given. None of us are in a position to tell you EXACTLY how the adcoms will feel... we can give you a best guess, which will echo what we've been advised, and which was already stated above.

How would ANY of us have any idea of "how bad" this will look? There's no certainty that all adcoms will view these things the same way. There will be differences among schools, and differences in individuals' applications that make the discrepancy more or less glaring.

Seems like you're doing it anyway, so why ask?