JCMC interview for DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Openfacesandwich

Reaction score
So I just had an interview with Jersey City medical center. Im a 4th year DO student, and they never took any DOs ever. Their entire program is IMGs and FMGs. I more or less applied for the hell of it cause I want to stay in NJ and wanted to increase my chances of getting in anywhere in NJ. I never really expected them to offer me anything but they did.

But I am also super confused as to why they would even offer me an interview, if they didn't get enough applicants this year or something. I know they have a new program director maybe that's why. If anyone knows what's going on in that program tho, I'd appreciate any info.

Members don't see this ad.

DOs breaking the glass ceilings at IMG sweatshops!! This is what we’ve been waiting for

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just had an interview with Jersey City medical center. Im a 4th year DO student, and they never took any DOs ever. Their entire program is IMGs and FMGs. I more or less applied for the hell of it cause I want to stay in NJ and wanted to increase my chances of getting in anywhere in NJ. I never really expected them to offer me anything but they did.

But I am also super confused as to why they would even offer me an interview, if they didn't get enough applicants this year or something. I know they have a new program director maybe that's why. If anyone knows what's going on in that program tho, I'd appreciate any info.
They want to move up in the world.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Who cares buddy :). If you like the place and got along with everyone then great! Go, be a doctor and reach your goals. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Shoot your shot! Just beware of it being a malignant sweatshop. Plenty of those in the NJ/NY area

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a thing all over? Where a program full of IMG/FMGs will probably not give a DO the time of day? I’m wanting to apply gen surge and there are a ton of these programs all over. Should I assume they’re going to ignore me as a DO?

Really? I find that hard to believe. They were affiliated with NYCOM before and I recall plenty of DO students matching there previously. Jersey is very DO friendly, I wouldn’t worry, good luck!

Really? I find that hard to believe. They were affiliated with NYCOM before and I recall plenty of DO students matching there previously. Jersey is very DO friendly, I wouldn’t worry, good luck!
Btw I might also be confusing Newark Beth Israel, but I def remember JCMC matching DOs before...

For their other programs yes, I applied IM. Should have specified that oooops

Their entire IM program is predominantly FMGs with some IMGs

Is this a thing all over? Where a program full of IMG/FMGs will probably not give a DO the time of day? I’m wanting to apply gen surge and there are a ton of these programs all over. Should I assume they’re going to ignore me as a DO?
Uh just assume if a program traditionally has never matched a DO they won't start now unless something significant happens with the program. I know with the merger some programs that were all IMG and FMG are trying to get more American grada

Uh just assume if a program traditionally has never matched a DO they won't start now unless something significant happens with the program.

As a caveat, I'm a know-nothing premed. That being said...

Just a rough check on JCMC IM:
  • It doesn't look look like they have in-house fellowships for Cards or GI
  • I don't believe that they would be considered "University IM"
  • Credentials of current residents are not immediately viewable on their website
I'm just not getting the vibe that this is some MGH prestige-protecting "glass ceiling" situation.

As a caveat, I'm a know-nothing premed. That being said...

Just a rough check on JCMC IM:
  • It doesn't look look like they have in-house fellowships for Cards or GI
  • I don't believe that they would be considered "University IM"
  • Credentials of current residents are not immediately viewable on their website
I'm just not getting the vibe that this is some MGH prestige-protecting "glass ceiling" situation.

It was sarcasm

It was sarcasm

We're on the same page.

I'm using the same analogy to highlight the difference between there being no DOs at an all-IMG/FMG program compared to an all US-MD program.

Shoot your shot! Just beware of it being a malignant sweatshop. Plenty of those in the NJ/NY area
I am aware LOL hence why it's in the bottom of my list. But I'd rather match to the bottom of my list than not match anywhere