Jeff Rose MCAT strategy/content course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chirodocjrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering taking a review course for the mcat and ran across this guy named Jeff Rose on craigslist that advertises pretty good success as an online mcat tutor. He says that he has both taught for Kaplan and did national marketing for them in the past. Has anyone heard of him?

I've spoken with him via email a few times and once over skype for his demonstration. He seems like he knows what he is talking about but, when I do a search for him on the internet, only 2 marketing posts come up. One from March '10 in Las Vegas and one in 10/10 in Mass. He says that he was a psychiatrist but I can't find a active or expired license for him when I did a search in Florida (where he said that he was before moving to Boston).

If anyone has heard of him or used him in the past, please let me know what you thought of him and his course.

Here are the links to the craigslist ads if anyone wants to take a look.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/lss/1992641482.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/lss/1959269076.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/lss/1948209277.html

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely a scam. Even if it's authentic, it's really doubtful that you will learn something.

Who in the world just randomly posts a random statement about scoring 40 on MCAT? Lol...

Interestingly, after the last post in response to mine I received a photo of the AMACS website page showing his mcat scores which did show a 44T. I don't know if this is real or not but there are just too many red flags to trust it totally. I asked to speak to people in the Detroit area that had gone through his course. I had one peerson call me from a blocked number, the other hasn't responded yet. I asked again which state he had practiced in recently but when I checked both locations, there was not a license in his name for the speciality he said he practiced. I have also asked for other references from schools that he has worked with but he says that they're are none except for his Kaplan sources and he won't give their names out.
All in all, it could be legit and he could be the best teacher ever but there are just too many unknowns and questions left unanswered to trust sending him cash or paypal. I doubt I'll be using his services and suggest that anyone else looking into him really dig hard before sending him money.
If anyone has used him and he is legit, please speak up.

Interestingly, after the last post in response to mine I received a photo of the AMACS website page showing his mcat scores which did show a 44T. I don't know if this is real or not but there are just too many red flags to trust it totally. I asked to speak to people in the Detroit area that had gone through his course. I had one peerson call me from a blocked number, the other hasn't responded yet. I asked again which state he had practiced in recently but when I checked both locations, there was not a license in his name for the speciality he said he practiced. I have also asked for other references from schools that he has worked with but he says that they're are none except for his Kaplan sources and he won't give their names out.
All in all, it could be legit and he could be the best teacher ever but there are just too many unknowns and questions left unanswered to trust sending him cash or paypal. I doubt I'll be using his services and suggest that anyone else looking into him really dig hard before sending him money.
If anyone has used him and he is legit, please speak up

I totally used him. Got a 45T on the MCAT.

For the LOW, LOW price of ONLY $44.99 I'll sell you all his secrets that put ME in the 99.999th percentile of MCAT test takers EVER! Or, for $99.99*, I'll teach you online myself.

* Does not include books, tax, instructor's hourly fee, or one-on-one office hours, which will be charged at a rate of $ .99/min. Repeat taking of this course shall be allowed if you attend all classes, score lower on your actual MCAT than you do on our ridiculously difficult diagnostic, do all homework to a satisfactory level of performance per your instructor, submit all required paperwork within 90 days of the end of this course, refer at least 3 other students to take our course, and say good things about us on SDN.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

For the LOW, LOW price of ONLY $44.99 I'll sell you all his secrets that put ME in the 99.999th percentile of MCAT test takers EVER! Or, for $99.99*, I'll teach you online myself.

* Does not include books, tax, instructor's hourly fee, or one-on-one office hours, which will be charged at a rate of $ .99/min. Repeat taking of this course shall be allowed if you attend all classes, score lower on your actual MCAT than you do on our ridiculously difficult diagnostic, do all homework to a satisfactory level of performance per your instructor, submit all required paperwork within 90 days of the end of this course, refer at least 3 other students to take our course, and say good things about us on SDN.

Your list of disclaimers had me on the floor :laugh:

I think what apumic is saying is that caveat emptor. This is a clear cut case of some "creative" advertising.

My favorite thing in his ad is the fact that HIS student got a 43T in 2009. Was it me or was the highest score in 2009 a 42T?

(disclaimer of my own - I am not certain on the 42T statistic, but I'm just saying)

Is this true that there are secrets to get over 40? Is there anyone who can confirm this? I would like to buy them :D .

Is this true that there are secrets to get over 40? Is there anyone who can confirm this? I would like to buy them :D .

Of course there are, but they are EXCLUSIVELY available from me. PM me for details*.

* Details will not be posted in this thread as this would violate SDN policy, mostly because no such product exists and, in fact, anyone claiming as above is committing fraud -- plain and simple. There are, in fact, no "secrets" to a good score. However, if you would still like to contribute $99.99 to my bank account, I will gladly accept the donation. Please contact me for details on where to wire the donation. :smuggrin:

I've been considering taking a review course for the mcat and ran across this guy named Jeff Rose on craigslist that advertises pretty good success as an online mcat tutor. He says that he has both taught for Kaplan and did national marketing for them in the past. Has anyone heard of him?

My sister worked with him last year, and she gave me his e-mail address. She loved him, and went from a 19M to a 33Q (15 in VR) in three months. Anyway, I'm taking the MCAT in Januray so e-mailed him earlier today. I didn't hear back, so I googled him (looking for a website) and I found this post on SDN. So, basically, I want to say that he's legit, and a great tutor. I don't know about any medical licenses or anything, but I know he's great at the MCAT (which is why I wanted to respond).

Hmmmm, let's see here. Everyone in the thread suspects something is sketchy, one poster says the score being claimed by this guy exceeds the highest score given that year, and the guy's post at some business website has a quote from him saying how happy he got when he received thank you cards from people graduating from medical school (although he just took the MCAT and hasn't been tutoring long enough to have students out of medical school yet). I was thinking it was a bit shady, but now that a brand new poster has stepped up to vaguely say he's great, I'm sold. :rolleyes:

(although he just took the MCAT and hasn't been tutoring long enough to have students out of medical school yet).

ur dumb. my brother teaches for the MCAT and he takes the test every few years just to stay current. just cuz this dude took it in 2004 doesn't mean it was the first time.

I clicked the links, and they're down. Chirodoc or Phyllis... ask him if it was his first time in 2004. also, he should take it again cuz its on the computer now. his score doesn't matter anymore.

Perhaps, but the real question is whether I'm dumb enough to ignore the input of people with plenty of experience recognizing scams and trust the input of two people who just now registered on this site to promote some guy with an extremely shady business.

just cuz this dude took it in 2004 doesn't mean it was the first time.

Who said anything about this guy taking the exam in 2004? That's pretty specific information for what's been posted here so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is going downhill. I trust people on SDN are knowledgeable enough to make their own decisions and discerning enough to make their own judgment.

Also, at least partly, this thread is functioning as advertisement.

This thread is going downhill. I trust people on SDN are knowledgeable enough to make their own decisions and discerning enough to make their own judgment.

Also, at least partly, this thread is functioning as advertisement.

hahaha.... I think, if anything, it's more like bad press. Nobody's fooled, are they?

If so, please see the above ad.

I'll sell you all the 40+ MCAT score secrets for only $44.99. And, for the next 24 hours I will include FREE tutoring for just $74.99. That's a $25 savings!

*Other conditions apply. Please see above ad for details.

Just hired Jeff Rose after he did his free demonstration. He didn't say anything about a medical license, but he sounds like an expert and he was recommended by a friend..

Most important: He said I could pay him after Session 1, so it's no risk I guess.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Interesting, another poster who just joined promoting this guys legitimacy. OP, I hope you weren't serious when you started this thread and if you were I suggest you spend that money on something a little better known.

I apologize for not updating.

I did some more investigating on this guy and found evidence of more manipulations and cover ups. He had a couple of people email me as references that were in my area. When doing a reverse ip trace on the emails I discovered that they were indeed from someone in the same town as where his were sent. Interesting result as one person was supposed to be in Ireland and the other in Michigan.

His responses to direct, public information type questions were either ignored or answered partially while ignoring the key part of the question. A few questions were turned and manipulated to make a statement that he wanted to make rather than what I asked.

All in all, i don't trust this guy and went with TPR instead. Thank you for the input and advice. I noticed how I was told that I need a psychiastrist by one poster that is now banned. I am sure that this was him because it sounds like his personality in his emails. Constantly attacking me for researching and asking for proof of who he was and his company and then turning around and telling me how smart I was and that he would be willing to work with me. A true sign of a con artist.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully someone who isn't smart enough to realize those ads are scams can look at this thread and learn a little lesson.

I apologize for not updating.

I did some more investigating on this guy and found evidence of more manipulations and cover ups. He had a couple of people email me as references that were in my area. When doing a reverse ip trace on the emails I discovered that they were indeed from someone in the same town as where his were sent. Interesting result as one person was supposed to be in Ireland and the other in Michigan.

His responses to direct, public information type questions were either ignored or answered partially while ignoring the key part of the question. A few questions were turned and manipulated to make a statement that he wanted to make rather than what I asked.

All in all, i don't trust this guy and went with TPR instead. Thank you for the input and advice. I noticed how I was told that I need a psychiastrist by one poster that is now banned. I am sure that this was him because it sounds like his personality in his emails. Constantly attacking me for researching and asking for proof of who he was and his company and then turning around and telling me how smart I was and that he would be willing to work with me. A true sign of a con artist.

I was desperate enough to hire him. Worst decision in my life and a little embarrassed to post on this thread. But I don't want others to make the same mistake. it was $970 for 4 sessions of his technique for verbal and about 2 review sessions? Gave me practice exams from kaplan, EK, and barron(who practices with barron!?!?! completely easier than the real mcats). The sessions were done through webcam. It seemed like he knew what he was talking about at first. But the strategies... are very detailed based for verbal and that's the only section of the mcat that was emphasized. Didn't even go over the sciences. Picked up my phone calls in the beginning but called definitely more than 30 times and never picked up, didn't respond to my emails due to "family emergencies". Avoided a lot of questions and said that he'll go back to the emails to look at it and he doesn't. This is just the gist of... the 3-4 months that I've tried to work with him. Luckily I've been studying on my own with TBR.... It wasn't a smart idea to go to him AT ALL.

After struggling with Princeton Review and Kaplan, I hired Jeff at the referral of a friend. I thought we were going to do the content and the verbal, but we only did the verbal. I paid $999 for the 4 sessions of technique, and it helped (up to a 12 from an 8), but my PS score increased by just 1 and the BS score stayed the same! Also, I think I increase because of my practice, and maybe I would have increased anyway (without Jeff). So, don't hire Jeff unless you know what he's offering. He said later "You only hired me for strategy, not for content" but I explained that I thought it was both. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

You really have to be careful with Craigslist. I was looking for a second job, I almost fell for something really dumb and handed over name and cell phone. And almost handed over SSN and other private info.

Somehow stupidity overcame me on that, but luckily other than a few calls, no damage done.

With Craigslist you got to be extra careful about scams.

You can't blame the poster, sometimes desperation can lead one to desperate measures. Circumstances dictate present actions, doesn't say much about the overall person. It's nice this person shared their experience to save others from doing the same.

You paid $1000 to some random guy that probably doesn't even know how to wipe his ass? COME ON

Borrowing powerscores verbal book from a library and working through a bunch of passages could've put you up to a 12. If reading comprehension is your problem, myreadinglab offers great practice for $25.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best on the exam.

After struggling with Princeton Review and Kaplan, I hired Jeff at the referral of a friend. I thought we were going to do the content and the verbal, but we only did the verbal. I paid $999 for the 4 sessions of technique, and it helped (up to a 12 from an 8), but my PS score increased by just 1 and the BS score stayed the same! Also, I think I increase because of my practice, and maybe I would have increased anyway (without Jeff). So, don't hire Jeff unless you know what he's offering. He said later "You only hired me for strategy, not for content" but I explained that I thought it was both. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Lots to say . . .

#1 - Just because one tutor is not honest doesn't mean they all are. For those who thought Jeff Rose was lying, why did that have to mean everyone is lying? I'm an MCAT tutor, I tutor mostly online, and I always make sure my students know exactly what they're getting when they work with me. There are honest people out there, people! I used to work for TPR, but they would take 92% of the money I brought in and I thought that was unfair. A student would pay $200 per hour to work with me, and TPR would pay me $16 per hour to teach. That's really unfair. Now, I charge $45 per hour, keep all of it, and everyone wins.

#2 - I know Jeff Rose. He was my teacher in 2006 (I got a 38R) and I worked with him (for him) a bit in 2007. He's an honest guy, but his program is very specific and hard to explain. Pretty much, his point is to teach what he calls "the MCAT language": how to interpret the questions, how the MCAT is constructed, that kind of thing. He usually works with people who already know the science, and he just teaches them how to use it. With my students, I teach the science too (I work mostly with students who have been out of school for a few years and need to relearn everything). I admit that this can be misleading for people hiring Jeff, but he usually explains this.

#3 - Jeff knows about this thread on SDN. I called him today to let him know about this stuff, and he said he didn't care. I would care if this was about me, so I asked him why not. His response, "I get almost all of my students from referrals, so I don't need to maintain a reputation online. Couldn't care less. This week, 17 of my students are taking their MCAT, that's all I care about." I think this is sloppy, and I bet he loses business, but that's his choice.

#4 - Being careful doesn't mean never trusting anyone.

#5 - I bet Jeff's recent success stories could tell you more, but success stories don't post on SDN.

Lots of luck to everyone taking their MCAT. If you live in the New York Area... look on Craigslist for my advertisement.

Whenever I see the word expert, I think to Charles Barkley's quote (he's an analyst on TNT).

"Only God's an Expert"

It's always best to go to a credible review company. The chances that you find a great tutor on the street is less than the chances that you find someone who scams you of money.

Review companies hold their tutors more accountable. And to be honest, review companies aren't teaching some magical techniques. They provide structure for students and lots of review practice.

If he gets his students from referrals, why is he resorting to craigslist?

When I say "expert", I just mean that I've been doing this for a few years (which is longer than most people in the business). Ask any Kaplan or TPR teacher how long they've been with the company, you'll be surprised how short it is. Yes, Kaplan will give you a guarantee, but when you go from a 20 to a 21 that won't apply. A 21 won't get you into med school. Sorry.

Also, if you go from a 20 to a 19 with Kaplan, sure, you'll get your money back, but you got a 19. Gee whiz, do you want to succeed or not? Kaplan is like "no child left behind"... they teach to the bottom of the class just to make sure no one gets their money back...

You don't like craigslist Silverfalcon or medapplicant88? Then... Don't use it! It's a quick, free way to get students. You want me to give away 92% of my fee just so you can get your money back with a 19... that's not what I want. I want to get my students into med school. Craigslist is an excellent way for an entrepreneur to get business. The price of working for Kaplan is too high for people like me, hence - Craigslist to the rescue!

When I say "expert", I just mean that I've been doing this for a few years (which is longer than most people in the business). Ask any Kaplan or TPR teacher how long they've been with the company, you'll be surprised how short it is. Yes, Kaplan will give you a guarantee, but when you go from a 20 to a 21 that won't apply. A 21 won't get you into med school. Sorry.

Also, if you go from a 20 to a 19 with Kaplan, sure, you'll get your money back, but you got a 19. Gee whiz, do you want to succeed or not? Kaplan is like "no child left behind"... they teach to the bottom of the class just to make sure no one gets their money back...

You don't like craigslist Silverfalcon or medapplicant88? Then... Don't use it! It's a quick, free way to get students. You want me to give away 92% of my fee just so you can get your money back with a 19... that's not what I want. I want to get my students into med school. Craigslist is an excellent way for an entrepreneur to get business. The price of working for Kaplan is too high for people like me, hence - Craigslist to the rescue!

Who is this scam artist?

6a00d83451f25369e20105361964c4970c-800wi

^I actually kinda like this guy. Now don't get me wrong, there's no way in h*ll I'd hire him, but he's witty. I sorta think I'd like him as an MCAT instructor in the same way I'd want to be taught by, say, Dane Cook.

Hey Apumic, it would be my pleasure to work with you.

Please ,dear sir, This is STEVE. kindly sent home address phonenumber mother's maiden name banker details and social security number - for tax reasons -and we can get you started. Also ,hours permisible. God bless.

You may already be a winner!

Click here:

*****This is not a faking*******************

Enjoy. Just so you know, my Nigerian organization wants to harvest your kidneys.

Hey Apumic, it would be my pleasure to work with you.

Please ,dear sir, This is STEVE. kindly sent home address phonenumber mother's maiden name banker details and social security number - for tax reasons -and we can get you started. Also ,hours permisible. God bless.

You may already be a winner!

Click here:

*****This is not a faking*******************

Enjoy. Just so you know, my Nigerian organization wants to harvest your kidneys.

unusual_sarcasm_notice.jpg

Everytime it looks like this thread will die, some brand new member posts to keep it going. There are more first time posters on this thread than all of the rest of SDN. Not to question anything, but if I only had four posts on SDN total, I don't think they'd all be in this one thread.

Just took the test again this weekend. I think it went much better.

I ran out of time on the Physical Sciences (guessed blind on the last two), did well on the Verbal Reasoning, and I think I nailed the Biological Sciences.

I called Jeff Rose after I posted here last time, and he offered to help me with my issues in Organic Chemistry for free. I explained to him that I was unhappy, and he met with me (in-person) twice.

In sum, I think he's a good guy, just very busy. His methods did work for the Verbal Reasoning, and he did help a lot this past week, I think it was really my fault for not booking his science course in addition to his strategy course.

We'll see how the future goes, right now I'm done and exhausted.

By the way, I asked him if he was a licensed doctor and he said no. This is different from what "chirodocjrd" says, but whatever.

if I only had four posts on SDN

Sure, because you're not here looking for students or defending the MCAT tutoring industry... which reminds me, why are you here?

I only joined SDN to support the idea of online tutoring... if you would like me to comment on something else, Swagster, that's cool. I have free time... Wanna go to my book club on Tuesday? We're reading Eat Pray Love. We can get sushi first, and laugh about the funny misspelled words on the menu.

Maybe frozen yogurt after? Just let me know your schedule.:love:

Hahahahahahahah.....Oh, wow. I love this thread!

And yeah, I wouldn't spend $45 an hour on a Craigslist tutor, unless he was referred to me by a family member or something. I'm not saying there aren't geniuses on Craigslist who can help me improve my score, but it's like searching through the mud for a diamond, and every time you come up with just a handful of mud, it's $45!

Sure, because you're not here looking for students or defending the MCAT tutoring industry... which reminds me, why are you here?

I only joined SDN to support the idea of online tutoring... if you would like me to comment on something else, Swagster, that's cool. I have free time... Wanna go to my book club on Tuesday? We're reading Eat Pray Love. We can get sushi first, and laugh about the funny misspelled words on the menu.

Maybe frozen yogurt after? Just let me know your schedule.:love:

Sushi makes me crap funny, so I don't think that's such a good idea. Perhaps we could do something a little more rugged like go to a sports bar and yell profanities at the television.

And for what brings me to SDN, it was originally trying to get some hints how to apply and what I needed to do to be a better applicant. Now it's because I'm addicted and have no real friends. I'm free to just sit in my room eating microwaved burritos and type pointless comments to people I'll never meet. And while it's no night out eating sushi, it works for me.

He mentioned that he went to medical school for 1 year in Boston and another year in London, but dropped out because he was a "coward"...

The guy claimed that he has 17 students...claims he is located in the midwest, but replying to email from Boston.

His reference "Linda Cowel" claims to be attending medical school at Emory, but after researching I found that she was also emailing from "Northeastern University" in Boston.

Save your $$$ and study yourself (or take a real course).

He mentioned that he went to medical school for 1 year in Boston and another year in London, but dropped out because he was a "coward"...

The guy claimed that he has 17 students...claims he is located in the midwest, but replying to email from Boston.

His reference "Linda Cowel" claims to be attending medical school at Emory, but after researching I found that she was also emailing from "Northeastern University" in Boston.

Save your $$$ and study yourself (or take a real course).

I thought this thread had died.

The guy is a scammer, so just let this thread R.I.P. and...

2590282166_2ccf7360c4.jpg

This thread should not die until this guy is out of tutoring. He almost cost me my shot at entering medical school. My funds were tight so I thought I could save a few hundred and get a better experience with a personal tutor. I told him all the areas I was weak in, yet, he never addressed any of these areas and kept stressing verbal no matter how much I asked him to help me with content. I did awful on the test and lost a lot of money.
Thank God I had someone willing to give me a loan so I could take a Kaplan course immediately after receiving my awful score. I was able to retake the test in enough time to apply for the same cycle and through Kaplan I received both content and strategy in all subjects as opposed to only verbal. Also, he only gives out practice tests in paper format but it is a CBT so how does that help? And he distributes AAMC practice tests and Kaplan practice tests, is that legal?
I realize I should've gone with Kaplan all along and I hope that this post guides others not make the same mistake I did. No one should have to give up their dream of becoming an MD because they score poorly on the MCAT due to shady tutoring.

^ Did you buy the content session or all the sessions? So I'm hearing mixed things, a few of you say he stresses too much on VR, so I'm guessing he does do that. But did you all buy his content sessions too?

I skimmed through some of the posts on here as I was curious myself about Jeff's legitimacy. I would say that he def. knows his stuff.. and had helped me considerably on the DATs. With his strategies, i was able to bump my PAT score from mid teens to a 23. His RC strats. are extensive and, with practice, can be utilized to achieve a solid score. BUT ONLY WITH HIS HELP THEREAFTER.

However, I did notice how overwhelmed he was given his working FT as a lawyer (so he stated) and was married. He takes on more students than he can handle given his tight schedule, which leads me to believe that he is in fact on the mercenary side.

When I first signed up for sessions with him he was very prompt in responding and attentive to my questions and concerns. After like 6 months, despite my investing another $500 in sessions with him, he failed to reply to my calls and emails.

Overall, working with Jeff was beneficial initially but I would suggest maybe taking no more than 1 session with him and be diligent in working off the material he provides.

Best of luck to all!:D:D:D

UPDATE: Jeff... I have been patient enough in waiting for a response from you about proving you had gone to Dubai 3x between May and June. You have the NERVE to threaten me with a lawsuit stating that this was untrue, AND tell me that you sent your itinerary AND boarding pass to some girl who thought you were lying based on her reading my post. Then GIVE ME EVIDENCE ALREADY. To the girl whom Jeff had vehemently defended himself to yet failed to do for me. As far as I'm concerned- given Jeff's lack of concern in responding to MY requests for proof of his trips AND the fact that he failed to explain his lack of willingness to fulfill his obligations beyond tutoring session... HE IS BULL****.

Last edited:
and BTW Jeff is located in Boston.. I met up with him at the Northeastern University campus where he graduated from as a law student. I am not sure he attended med school prior, but he claims he did his undergrad from Brandeis University. Other claims he makes about his professional/academic background are false from what I can gather. He mentioned none of the information I see from other posts.

and BTW Jeff is located in Boston.. I met up with him at the Northeastern University campus where he graduated from as a law student. I am not sure he attended med school prior, but he claims he did his undergrad from Brandeis University. Other claims he makes about his professional/academic background are false from what I can gather. He mentioned none of the information I see from other posts.

So you're basically saying that you've worked with a guy and are recommending a guy who has falsified his credentials.

Jeebus, you've got to be trollin'.

This thread should not die until this guy is out of tutoring. He almost cost me my shot at entering medical school. My funds were tight so I thought I could save a few hundred and get a better experience with a personal tutor. I told him all the areas I was weak in, yet, he never addressed any of these areas and kept stressing verbal no matter how much I asked him to help me with content. I did awful on the test and lost a lot of money.

Same situation Here, PM me MaylonK if you want to do something about it.

Last edited: