Jeff Rose MCAT strategy/content course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chirodocjrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering taking a review course for the mcat and ran across this guy named Jeff Rose on craigslist that advertises pretty good success as an online mcat tutor. He says that he has both taught for Kaplan and did national marketing for them in the past. Has anyone heard of him?

I've spoken with him via email a few times and once over skype for his demonstration. He seems like he knows what he is talking about but, when I do a search for him on the internet, only 2 marketing posts come up. One from March '10 in Las Vegas and one in 10/10 in Mass. He says that he was a psychiatrist but I can't find a active or expired license for him when I did a search in Florida (where he said that he was before moving to Boston).

If anyone has heard of him or used him in the past, please let me know what you thought of him and his course.

Here are the links to the craigslist ads if anyone wants to take a look.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/lss/1992641482.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/lss/1959269076.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/lss/1948209277.html

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi in response to Jess Ross (Mcat tutor) response. You said you jumped from an 8 to 12 in VS I believe but suffered in the other areas. Now did he offer you his money back guarantee contract if you didn't reach your score? I just had my 1st free session with him and I wasn't too impressed. Thank you.

I just had my 1st free session with him

If you're talking about Dr. Ross MCAT, I think that's a different person.

I just had my demonstration with him today, and I was impressed/amused. I'm not sure if I can afford to hire him, but I liked his ideas and way of thinking. His thing about challenging my assumptions was cool. I guess some people could think that stuff was obvious, but it helped me.

I might go with just his strategy course, or nothing, but I think the free demonstration was worth it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
kind of late in responding. But seriously I was just trying to help so thank you for understanding... :) Not going to take the guy's comment to heart.

You can't blame the poster, sometimes desperation can lead one to desperate measures. Circumstances dictate present actions, doesn't say much about the overall person. It's nice this person shared their experience to save others from doing the same.

I just wanted to add a few things. He is obviously a scam and those posts made by inactive members are all most likely a part of it. While he was "tutoring" me he suggested I go to some psychiatric sessions to become more confident? (something along those lines, long time ago, don't remember exactly what he said) weird idea... I swear I'm not crazy. then it took weeks to give me some email (probably fake) as a reference to ask about their experiences with the mcat because he/she was apparently in a similar situation as mine. He said he has been to my college (NYC, Manhattan) to tutor before and he would come down for me. But last minute, his wife had surgery and couldn't come anymore so I agreed to the Skype sessions. He gave me a free demo because he "trusted" me to make a payment to boston. He was from boston.... and I can surely bet he wasn't going to come to NY anyways! He also said he had about 60 students to tutor and when I asked for a refund... he said he already used it on rent. He also said before.... He had worked for Kaplan, Kaplan wasn't paying him enough ($40 an hour) so he started his own tutoring business. I have my own loans for undergrad as well.... he then emails me this:

"If you are getting this e-mail, it means you are a Skype student of mine, or a potential student.

I just wanted to let you know that my brother-in-law has finished his research about my student scores, and the most important number is 2.45

As some of you know, my brother-in-law was curious about the different success rates of my students, so I e-mailed him the results for all of 2010 and he looked for patterns.

He found out that my Skype students earn 2.45 more points than my in-person tutoring students (we initially thought the difference was 1.50). Our best guess is that tutoring on the computer is better preparation for a computer-based test like the MCAT. I guess that makes sense :)

The average increase for my students overall was +4.7 points in Verbal, +2.6 points in Physical Sciences, and +3.2 points in Biological sciences. These numebrs were for my students who only did teh strategy course. (For the numbers for students who took my content courses, please e-mail me.)

So, to all of you who have passed along my contact information to friends and family: First of all, Thanks! Second of all, I have decided that I will no longer offer in-person tutoring. Only 7% of my students are in-person these days, but numbers don't lie and my Skype students simply do better!"

really REALLY!??!? I completely take responsibility for my actions, for being so rash. Don't make the same mistake as me!

Last post from me. This guy has multiple emails, sdn accounts, identities and he'll play around with all of them to play the good guy and the bad guy...

I would not trust any from craigslist trying to teach MCAT material. Much better off getting the books and following SN2ed's method.

go to some psychiatric sessions

#1) You are living proof that I am not a scam, premed1938. I met with you. I am not a computer virus. I am a tutor who does the best he can. After our course, I met with you for three review sessions. This is two more than normal. I did more for you than I typically do. (I know my other students are reading this, and I'm sorry that I gave premed1938 more than I gave you...)

#2) I never said you should see a Psychiatrist. I said that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might help you, because it has helped numerous students deal with stress and anxiety.

#3) I have been to New York every weekend for the past seven. I'm going back this weekend (staying in Queens this time).

#4) You did not buy a car from me or borrow my oven mitts. You paid me to tutor you, and to do the best job I could. I did that. How does that get you a refund?

#5) I no longer tutor online for the MCAT. Tonight was supposed to be one of my last sessions, but then the student read this thread and cancelled. I know for a fact that several of the negative comments on SDN were posted by competing tutors. That's stupid, guys. All you're doing is making sure no one trusts anyone. That puts us all out of business. Well, it's made me change jobs at least. I'll still tutor a few people in Boston, but I'm done with this nonsense. If anyone gets an e-mail from someone claiming to be, DO NOT send them money, it's a scam.

I wish you the best of luck, premed1938.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Please do not post a user's actual name without their consent"

Thanks SN2ed, but... ummm... the thread is CALLED my name: "Jeff Rose".

Obviously, I would not consent to this, as it's full of nonsense...

Spend your time studying, all. Don't get bounced around by tutors' games. Also, don't hire anyone that you don't meet personally. It's just bad business.

1.Your strategies don't work. You don't have to tell me what the norm is. you weren't specific about the sessions when you started out. it wasn't clear. You did more than you could for me!? You know how much you did for me and how much you responded to me I don't have to justify the satisfaction I got from you.

2. like i said "something along those lines..."

out of all that i said you nitpicked at that. what about explaining everything else.

Jeff- I am waiting for an email from you confirming your 3 Dubai trips last year!

Last edited:
For those of you who are wondering about Jeff Rose...I am a student graduated from Tufts University - and live right in boston and have met with Jeff for both the MCAT and the DAT. (Took the MCAT 2 years ago and decided not to go to med school - and just used jeff for my second round of DAT)

He is awesome! Check out my other post I'm not a scam or anything...when I first used Jeff for my MCAT...I didn't do very well. Why? Because I didn't know how to use his skills to my benefit and I wasn't self disciplined when studying at the time.

For my dat... I took it on 9/2/11 and this was my second time around. Jeff is excellent at test taking skills. Content? He'll definitely help you with it and give you links and advice...but I would utilize his brilliance for strategy and less content. Is he expensive? yes. But for those of you who can afford it and really think you need help on the test taking side, he's the guy to go to. He really loves his job, he tutors constantly, and he really does care about your performance. He is very busy because he's constantly on the go..but I don't think we can really hold that against him given his attempt to give each his students a fair amount of time etc.

My recent DAT jumped from TS 19 AA 19 PAT 19 to....PAT 24 AA 22 TS 21 CH 22 OR 24 BIO 18 QR 22 RC 22
I really need the help on working with the time I have improving my test taking, and that is exactly what Jeff excels in. If you want a content tutor - go to kaplan. BUt if your at the point where you need to push your scores from just content to test taking, managing time, and improving the way you take tests...I guarantee he will get you there - As long as you put in the work and time and are patient with his strategies.

IF you want proof - I'll upload/email my legit ADA scores the hardcopy you print out with the imprint and the signature

Last edited:
#1) You are living proof that I am not a scam, premed1938. I met with you. I am not a computer virus. I am a tutor who does the best he can. After our course, I met with you for three review sessions. This is two more than normal. I did more for you than I typically do. (I know my other students are reading this, and I'm sorry that I gave premed1938 more than I gave you...)

#2) I never said you should see a Psychiatrist. I said that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy might help you, because it has helped numerous students deal with stress and anxiety.

#3) I have been to New York every weekend for the past seven. I'm going back this weekend (staying in Queens this time).

#4) You did not buy a car from me or borrow my oven mitts. You paid me to tutor you, and to do the best job I could. I did that. How does that get you a refund?

#5) I no longer tutor online for the MCAT. Tonight was supposed to be one of my last sessions, but then the student read this thread and cancelled. I know for a fact that several of the negative comments on SDN were posted by competing tutors. That's stupid, guys. All you're doing is making sure no one trusts anyone. That puts us all out of business. Well, it's made me change jobs at least. I'll still tutor a few people in Boston, but I'm done with this nonsense. If anyone gets an e-mail from someone claiming to be, DO NOT send them money, it's a scam.

I wish you the best of luck, premed1938.

You're a liar. I took your course too and you said you were a psychiatrist and you were tutoring because you were better off financially by tutoring. Ross is a liar, ladies and gentlemen, don't take his course. Sending someone money over the internet is a good way to lose out, no way he's gonna get you your guarantee score in 3, 4,5 or even 10 sessions. If you want to make a dumb decision like I did, then go ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please PLEASE people.. regardless of how legitimate a Craigslist ad may seem.. regardless of how credible a person may come across.. BE CAREFUL!!!!!! In this case I thought Jeff was an educated professional with a strong network in Boston. We met in a public location - the Northeastern library, but our sessions were conducted in a private room, 1 on 1. My boyfriend at the time used to wait for me in the main lounge area and I thought that he was being too paranoid to be so worried about CL related encounters. Boy was he right in the end.. And I am fortunate to have had nothing happen to me, as well as have such a protective companion in case something had in fact happened, because Jeff Rose is evidently capable of ANYTHING.

Never compromise your safety! CL ads are particularly unsafe as there is so much anonymity for those who post. If one really feels compelled to respond to such an ad, please be accompanied by someone!!!!!!!!!

Any new cases of JR's scams? Did anyone ever get their money back? Did you consider suing him? HELP.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, he now operates under premed wizard this is his new scam: He pretends to be working for this company called "premed wizard" as a manager to cover up his identity and his lifetime of scamming.

You can google the "company" and see all the fake testimonials and whatnot.

I apologize for not updating.

He now operates under premed wizard as is his new scam: He pretends to be working for this company called "premed wizard" as a manager to cover up his identity and his lifetime of scamming. He pretends to have an office and have many staff members who "share" 1 single email account. Really a business would have employees share and respond to emails? When I asked about this Jeff responded that it is to ensure no email goes unanswered, Lol.

You can google the "company" and see all the fake testimonials and whatnot. He works from his house in Medfield, Massachusetts.

I did some more investigating on this guy and found evidence of more manipulations and cover ups. He had a couple of people email me as references that were in my area. When doing a reverse ip trace on the emails I discovered that they were indeed from someone in the same town as where his were sent. Interesting result as one person was supposed to be in Ireland and the other in Michigan.

His responses to direct, public information type questions were either ignored or answered partially while ignoring the key part of the question. A few questions were turned and manipulated to make a statement that he wanted to make rather than what I asked.

All in all, i don't trust this guy and went with TPR instead. Thank you for the input and advice. I noticed how I was told that I need a psychiastrist by one poster that is now banned. I am sure that this was him because it sounds like his personality in his emails. Constantly attacking me for researching and asking for proof of who he was and his company and then turning around and telling me how smart I was and that he would be willing to work with me. A true sign of a con artist.