jefferson secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davedavedave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone access the jefferson secondary??? they say there's an "apply online" button on the website, but i dont see one...

Members don't see this ad.

It's on the upper right corner of the website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! It is above the picture of the building.

gotta love my computer... for refusing to download certain pictures.

i've typed my essay in twice now and every time I hit submit they say I've been "timed out" :mad: . There could be a glitch but it could be me. Well, I am no sucker. I am NOT going to type in my essay for a third time only to be kicked out again! hmm, is this a message from them to save my $80 for another school? :(

jj08 said:
i've typed my essay in twice now and every time I hit submit they say I've been "timed out" :mad: . There could be a glitch but it could be me. Well, I am no sucker. I am NOT going to type in my essay for a third time only to be kicked out again! hmm, is this a message from them to save my $80 for another school? :(

Is there a required essay in Jefferson Secondary??? I don't see it in PDF version of the secondary.

Does Jefferson screen? And what's the secondary essay topic?

pateltr1 said:
Is there a required essay in Jefferson Secondary??? I don't see it in PDF version of the secondary.

No, there's no required essay. You have the option to include a little something if you like. Oddly enough, i only saw it on the on-line application. My suggestion would be to do it on-line...if they'll let you submit.

Pinkertinkle said:
Does Jefferson screen? And what's the secondary essay topic?

No, they don't screen.

Here's the blurp:
If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below. (Please limit your response to 2000 characters and do not cut and paste. ***)

jj08 said:

Why didn't you copy and paste it onto notepad before you hit submit? I know they said not to but I'm sure that if you copied it over after typing it onto the web, it should be fine. A warning to others, the online application is very glitchy.

Does anyone keep getting a message saying "Break-In Attempted: Please Login to continue" message when they press submit?

mdsh00 said:
Why didn't you copy and paste it onto notepad before you hit submit?

:oops:

and that, ladies and germs, is why i am not the sharpest crayon in the box. :p

in actuality, I wasn't sure if that was gonna be a good idea because, like you said, they had instructed not to do so.

why doesnt this link work on myyy computerrrrrrr??????!!!!!!!!!! :mad: it could be a java problem.. i tried mozilla and it did the same thing - i dont see the 'apply online' button or the drop down menus... anyone know what could be the problem? (i guess i'll just have to do the whole application at work)

davedavedave said:
why doesnt this link work on myyy computerrrrrrr??????!!!!!!!!!! :mad: it could be a java problem.. i tried mozilla and it did the same thing - i dont see the 'apply online' button or the drop down menus... anyone know what could be the problem? (i guess i'll just have to do the whole application at work)

I can access it but the glitchy thing keeps saying that "A break in has been attempted: Please long in and continue" Too bad when I log in, it has no recollection of who I am! +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been getting the same "break in" error message everytime I try to submit the secondary. It must be a glitch in their system. I emailed admissions and hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer soon...

DC kid said:
I've been getting the same "break in" error message everytime I try to submit the secondary. It must be a glitch in their system. I emailed admissions and hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer soon...

Yeah, I suppose I'll send in my letters in the meantime. Does anyone know if they will take more than two? My school doesnt have a Premedical committe and I certainly dont have one letter from each of the sciences (although it's a suggestion).

mdsh00 said:
Yeah, I suppose I'll send in my letters in the meantime. Does anyone know if they will take more than two? My school doesnt have a Premedical committe and I certainly dont have one letter from each of the sciences (although it's a suggestion).

I think they will take 3.

I keep getting the "break in" message, too.

For the essay, copying and pasting is fine. They claim that you won't be able to get to the next page if you copy and paste, but I was able to.

So what is everyone typing for additional information? I have no idea what to say....

Scubadoc said:
if anyone finds out about that break in glitch thing will you please post it here? i am getting it also and it is driving me nutso!

yah, please. it looks like we will have to wait till tomorrow morning...a bit frustrating; it just feels good to click "submit!"

fun8stuff said:
So what is everyone typing for additional information? I have no idea what to say....

I talked about why I wanted to go there and mentioned why I feel I would be good there. And a little bit about the initial crap grades I got and then got better. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

online submission works now. they must have fixed the glitch...

great, i submitted as well.
but, it is not showing up on the status page that they have my secondary? anybody else have this issue (or maybe it's just taking them time to process it...)
thanks

quick q: those of you applying to jefferson and don't have a premed committee to write your letters of recommendation, how are you handling the LORs? i mean, it says in the brochure that they would prefer a letter from chem, bio, physics, and a humanities letter. i can get the chem & bio letters easily, humanities & physics not so easily. are you all following this to the letter or sending in LORs that are different i.e. extra bio, work or volunteer LORs? thanks a million! :)

yah, i couldn't get physics either, but i figure 3 is enough. physics is kind of stretching it, i think

Damn Jefferson!! :mad:

I submitted my application since it finally started working, even though it doesn't say I did in the status check area. A few hours later, I get this:

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but we experienced technical difficulties
when you submitted
your secondary application to Jefferson Medical College.
Please, go online at
https://banner.jefferson.edu/pls/jmc/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon
and resubmit your secondary application, you will incur only one
application fee."

So I go to the site and login again to click "complete secondary application" and it says "you have already completed the secondary application." So I call them up and although the lady was nice about it, she said to wait 24 hours. I appreciate her being nice but this is ridiculous. JMC should have planned for server overloads and other technical problems! :mad:

mdsh00 said:
I talked about why I wanted to go there and mentioned why I feel I would be good there. And a little bit about the initial crap grades I got and then got better. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Yeah, this is pretty much what I planned on doing. Thanks for your response!

I submitted mine this morning. It doesn't show up as being received, yet, but when I try to log in to fill out the secondary, I get a message saying that I have already submitted. I guess it just takes some time. :)

on the jefferson online application, if you're not seeing the "apply now" button, turn off any web security type programs you're running...i wasn't seeing it for the longest time, until i disabled my norton internet security...i went back to the site, and the apply online button showed up...

el guap.

did anyone try to copy and paste their essay or did you guys actually type the whole thing in ?

DoctorMalki said:
did anyone try to copy and paste their essay or did you guys actually type the whole thing in ?

You can copy and paste it in. I did it and it showed up.

Did most of you write some sort of essay--other than one explaining a deficiency in your app--for the additional essay section? I did not, but am now thinking it probably would've been wise to come up with something.

Tippy007 said:
Did most of you write some sort of essay--other than one explaining a deficiency in your app--for the additional essay section? I did not, but am now thinking it probably would've been wise to come up with something.

An alternative would be to write about what your plans are for the coming year. You only are alloted 2000 characters so that may not be enough space to explain your grades. Plus, why emphasize the not so good? You want them to want you so emphasize the good all you want! :)

Hey,

I am going to be asking a very sillly question right now, but i was wondering what our login id and pin are, for filling out the secondaries...they tell me to login as a first-time user for the jefferson application, but i don't know how to do that...

help?

Thanks.

You should've gotten an email telling you that information.

albanQ said:
Hey,

I am going to be asking a very sillly question right now, but i was wondering what our login id and pin are, for filling out the secondaries...they tell me to login as a first-time user for the jefferson application, but i don't know how to do that...

help?

Thanks.

login pin is in the email they sent you. take a look at it again.

albanQ said:
Hey,

help?

Thanks.

If you didn't get the email, call the admissions office and ask. Sometimes the email doesn't always get to you. I didn't get an email last year, and ended up calling to ask when they would send me my secondary.

I keep reading that Jefferson has a secondary deadline of like 4 weeks, but I can't seem to find that info in the email they sent or their website. I'm not taking the MCAT until August, and was planning on submitting most of my secondary apps in late August. Can somebody verify that there is a deadline?

just a quick note. i don't know if it was my browser or what, but newlines/carriage returns were preventing me from submitting my essay correctly. Once I removed them, everything seemed to work fine.

oops i made a boo-boo...

for payment, i was expecting them to ask the name of the credit card holder (ill be using my mom's), but they didnt.. so it went under my name :eek:

I did the same thing...I hope the payment still goes throug alright. It said accepted so I'm guessin its ok

it said my payment was accepted too...but that cant be right considering that the cardholder's name is wrong... i think i should call em

I've been trying to submit my Jefferson app and everytime I hit submit, I get a funky screen with all my info on it, then it tells me I'm leaving a secure connection. I didn't even get the chance to give them my credit card info.

Did this happen to anyone? I guess I could try to submit this darn thing at work on another computer.

As for the additional info, I just wrote about how I'm a non-trad applicant and that my letters will be from people who know me best (from grad school and work) and not from profs I had 4+ years ago.

I'm probably just an idiot, but I can't figure out how to pay for this deal - can anyone help? thanks

Liz

I sent in my jefferson secondary without really saying anything in the additional information besides that my mother has been working there for >5 years.

I did not put an essay on why I wanted to go there because I noticed that the PDf version of the application does not even have a space for "additional information" and thus they do not expect an essay of any sort.

What do you guys think?

I can still send them "additional information" through regular usps mail if needed

thanks a lot
:confused:

Yeah Jefferson secondary is a bit funky, even after you submit and pay, it wont show up immediately as completed and paid for in the status page, so don't freak. For my essay I just explained that i wont be able to get them a Physics or Chem letter and said I'd send the other two, plus some more from EC's. I had no deficiencies to explain or plans for the glide year so I didn't add anything else.

I had the same problem while filling it out a few days ago. No matter how many times I'd submit it, it would never bring me up to a payment screen. I then called the admissions office and they told me it was because even though the character limit say 2000, it can only allow 500 characters now due to some systems problem. Why they didn't clarify that on their website beats me. They also emphasized that we're really not supposed to write anything there anyways unless it's something really important. They suggested for me to send in the essay through snail mail if I really wanted to... again they emphasized that it was unnecessary. So i just ended up not filling in the optional essay part at all and my application was submitted without any problems.

SummerBreeze said:
I had the same problem while filling it out a few days ago. No matter how many times I'd submit it, it would never bring me up to a payment screen. I then called the admissions office and they told me it was because even though the character limit say 2000, it can only allow 500 characters now due to some systems problem. Why they didn't clarify that on their website beats me. They also emphasized that we're really not supposed to write anything there anyways unless it's something really important. They suggested for me to send in the essay through snail mail if I really wanted to... again they emphasized that it was unnecessary. So i just ended up not filling in the optional essay part at all and my application was submitted without any problems.

I just submitted and got away with 1950 characters. When I tried to submit at 1990 characters it would bring me to that funky screen with all my info on it, etc, etc.... and if you read closely at the top it says something about how the essay was too big to paste in- except in slightly different terms. All you have to do is trim it down a little and it will go.

redruby said:
I keep reading that Jefferson has a secondary deadline of like 4 weeks, but I can't seem to find that info in the email they sent or their website. I'm not taking the MCAT until August, and was planning on submitting most of my secondary apps in late August. Can somebody verify that there is a deadline?

I have the same exact question, which is why I searched for this thread. As I type this, the Jeff info is frozen in another browser, so I doubt that I will find the answer any time soon :thumbdown:

But if anyone has some info please share :)

click on the link they give you on the website. On the upper right hand side there is a picture of a mouse that says "Apply online"--that'll take you to the secondary. gluck =)