Jefferson Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not exactly a secondary. It's addressed to all applicants and is compensating for the already existing problems and significant back log of applications due to AMCAS.

Anybody else got the email? I am beginning to worry about my AMCAS app. Perhaps I should just make 34 copies and 34 envelopes ready to be mailed out in case the AMCAS hell begins again.

Tweetie

Members don't see this ad.

oh ya
forgot to add the email info. :D
---------------------------------
Thank you for applying to the Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University. Your application is very important to us. Due to the already considerable delays in processing applications, we ask that you view our Information for Prospective Students 2002 - 2003 Brochure at http://jeffline.tju.edu/CWIS/JMC/admissions if you have not received our brochure in the mail. Please print the secondary application and return it to us along with your check.

im confused..is this the secondary application? and what brochure are they talking about? should i print/send it or submit it online?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the application form is the secondary

hmmm...it looks like you need a password for the Jefferson app. Is this correct ? Has anyone received a password ect. ? Thanks

login is your social security number. the password is your birthdate (MM/DD/YY)

:confused:
i didn' t get this e-mail. what date did you submit, Tweetie? i mean, i'm not too worried since i know AMCAS has the correct e-mail address, but if there is actually a problem, i'll like to solve it quickly. thanks!

i didn't get the email either. now i'm worried that maybe my email isn't working??? i HATE this. +pissed+

what the hell am i doing with this thing? Has anyone submitted this yet? Is this actually the secondary? What are we supposed to be writing in the additional information box? That section does NOT appear on the downloadable pdf file.

(.....dragging out the dead horse, primed for another beating....)...this process really SUCKS+pissed+

To those that are worried about not getting this email, I think these emails go out in batches. Do not worry yet. As I mentioned before, this is NOT a secondary...i think it's some FYI email to potential applicants.

Read this:
If you intend to complete your secondary application on-line, please retain the following login information:

Obviously, they want us to RETAIN the info which means that the secondary has not been sent out yet. It will be available online eventually. I just did a thorough research on TJU website and they don't seem to have a link to it yet.

Do not fret guys. I guess the only reason I am worried right now is how they seem to know the "considerable delays already" in the application process. Damn AMCAS +pissed+

oh ya,
I submitted 7/7

Tweetie

Oh no...this is definitely the secondary. They have a link. It takes approx 2 minutes to fill out the mother, with the only significant piece of info they request being your SAT scores. I submitted on 6/28...went active (sounding eerily like a terminator reference) on 7/11.

submitted on 7/10...

got the email today...my pin was not my b-day though.

as for the "additional info" prompt, i'm writing about experiences outside of science and medicine, etc.

-joe joe

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, got that email as well. So far I am very unimpressed with Jefferson...first, the email does not appear at all professional, the mear mentioning of "considerable delays" without further discussion is inflammatory (given pre-meds), they sound (to me) like they're just doing this for the $75, and the link they give doesn't exactly work. I did find a downloadable secondary, but there is NO essay - it's just a stupid 4 page thingy that askes for SAT, if anybody worked/went to Jefferson, and asked for their stinking money.

I called to ask about letters of rec - the one bio, one chem, one physics, one humanities crap. I'm a grad student and am not sure I can pull together and doubt those undergrad letters would be very helpful at this point. The person in the admissions office wasn't very helpful and basically said "attach a letter explaining".

Is anyone else totally underwhelmed by Jefferson at this point?

The following is the (slightly edited to protect my privacy) text of an email (with the original below) I just sent out to whoever Harasink is...I'll let ya'all know what the response is.

Dear Mr/Ms. Harasink,
what are the "considerable delays" you refer to in your message? Does this email count as a formal invitation to complete a secondary application to Jefferson? Am I also being invited to send letters of recommendation as well? The link you provide redirects to http://www.tju.edu/jmc/home/index.cfm. Is http://www.tju.edu/jmc/admissions/applnew.pdf the current secondary application? Will I be receiving a formal invitation to complete a secondary application by (snail) mail? Any clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Adcadet

----- Original Message -----
To: "Adcadet" <>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 3:38 PM
Subject: Thank you for applying to Jefferson Medical School

> >From: [email protected]
>
> Thank you for applying to the Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University. Your
> application is very important to us. Due to the already considerable delays in processing applications, we ask that you
> view our Information for Prospective Students 2002 - 2003 Brochure at http://jeffline.tju.edu/CWIS/JMC/admissions if you
> have not received our brochure in the mail. Please print the secondary application and return it to us along with your
> check.
>
>

Good for you, AdCadet. You let me know how it turns out!!!

And what's up with the whole LOR expectation ****?? Yes, this is my first time cursing on SDN. One bio, one chem, one physics and one humanities???? How in the world do they expect us to come up with this and how many people that apply actually HAVE those requisites?? What blind-folded--money fleecing--I'll take whatever I can get cuz the premeds are desperate enough--CRAP is this??

I submitted 3 weeks ago, and have yet to START the verification process and I am already getting pissed off at how lame this whole process is. I just found out I don't have insurance for the next 3 months and have to cough up a few hundred dollars so I can get a new pair of glasses and an eye exam. yes, today has been a bad day. And now I have to shell out 70 bucks for a school that's prolly not even gonna look at my app because I don't have their dumb LOR standards :rolleyes: :mad:

ugh
I just yelled at my screen and I feel bad for venting like this. I just need some rest.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
ugh
I just yelled at my screen and I feel bad for venting like this. I just need some rest.

Don't feel bad....I've been cursing for the past 8 hours. Finally after a Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade (leftover from when my fiance went to the lake; I'm out of beer) and listening to some Clash I'm feeling a little better.

I'm going to write a brief letter to include with my app explaining that my choice of letter writters is better than their suggestion. And if they don't like it, they can go *&%$ themselves. Strange how a school I consider a "safety school" (as if there is such a thing; I hope I haven't just cursed myself) can cause so much headache.

Oh, and it's not a waste of $70 to apply. It's a waste of $75.

still no email... should i call them???????? :confused: :mad: +pissed+

great...this morning (2:04 Central) I got an email from Jefferson - same as text as before but now it includes my ID and PIN (SSN and DOB). Their damn link is still redirecting!

Does anybody know where the electronic app is?

Ha, soon you'll realize there aren't any safety schools :)

On that note, last year Jefferson didn't have this anal list of LORs, what a bunch of crap. I guess Jefferson is expecting you to have excelled in all areas of prereqs. For some people that (oh heck, for most people) isn't true. Also, how do you get a good LOR from an intro premed class? There are usually a bajillion students in it. Even if you get an A, doesn't mean you'll get a good letter out of it. And for some people that'll be their only exposure to bio,math,chem, etc.

Have any of you guys had problems submitting their online secondary? I keep getting error messages saying that their server cannot be found when I hit the submit button. I called the admissions office about it, but I was wondering if any one else was having issues with it as well.

hey, all....finally got the e-mail this morning, so just wanted to agree with Tweetie that they're probably being sent out in batches.

ok, so my questions- if you had a HP comm write your letter, should there be an LOR from each of those departments already in that? i don't have a physics prof letter and was wondering if i should try to get one in there.

next...i think there are a couple versions of the letter going out. mine was the same as Samoa's i think. in the end, i doubt it really matters, though (or at least, not yet).

ok....just wanted to send out a little smile of encouragement to all of those computer throwers out there....:D we can get through this, even in spite of AMCAS!!

Originally posted by chopsuey
ok, so my questions- if you had a HP comm write your letter, should there be an LOR from each of those departments already in that? i don't have a physics prof letter and was wondering if i should try to get one in there.

are you going to ask? I had the same question.

And has anyone figured out what to do about the differences in the online and downloadable secondaries?

well, i'm going to e-mail my pre-health advisor before i start calling admissions peeps...

i will let you know what they say unless someone else has a response before i do!

btw...DW as in Arthur's sis (or was it a friend...)?

FINALLY got their email... are you guys writing anything in the "additional information" part? i mean, how vague can we be here?

Got the same email again from another email address.

Can anybody post the link to the secondary here?? I can't seem to find it. :(

Originally posted by chopsuey

(btw...i'm glad you wrote the letter, adcadet! way to be proactive ;) )

Thanks. Still waiting on a reply...although I did get a second email that was identical to the first except that it had my ID and password on it.

the link Chop posted works (nice), and says it's the 2003 activation form...but there is still no essay. Is this correct? NO ESSAY for Jefferson? (except for the one where I tell them where they can stick their four LOR and that they'd better accept my happy three, none of which are from chem, none of which are physics, and none of which are humanities).

I think we're overreacting a bit to the LOR situation at TJ. It says submit one from bio, from chem, from physics, from hum IF POSSIBLE. To me that means, if you have already gotten your recs...it's IMPOSSIBLE. I wouldn't worry. I don't think they're NOT going to interview you because you dont have a glowing rec from a physics lecture prof.

Originally posted by Adcadet
the link Chop posted works (nice), and says it's the 2003 activation form...but there is still no essay. Is this correct? NO ESSAY for Jefferson? (except for the one where I tell them where they can stick their four LOR and that they'd better accept my happy three, none of which are from chem, none of which are physics, and none of which are humanities).

LOLOL AdCadet. That's exactly how I felt about them last night.

Originally posted by Adcadet

Thanks for making me laugh Adcadet! i feel the same way - i too just received my second identical email (both of mine had the password/id in them) but it was sent from a different email account. i'm just going to ignore what they say about LOR, fill out the three answers in their app. form that apply to me, and be on my merry way.
:p

Last year there was no essay for Jefferson. And don't worry to much about their LOR requirements. I didn't have a physics LOR, and I still go the interview.

yeah it seems to say in their brochure that if your school doesn't send a committee letter, then you should have one from each of those subjects..thats how i read it. anyways, its a bunch of crap..how can anyone ask a physics professor who they had no relationship to write them something in the middle of the summer! thats ridiculous...
also...about the "additional information" thing...in the online application, it has it, but in the print-out application it doesn't. so whatsup with this?? anyone know? i feel like its not really meant to be an essay (i'm hoping not), but just a space for logistical comments..like about your LOR's or whatever. anyone have any real information???
thanks

Originally posted by hobbes007
yeah it seems to say in their brochure that if your school doesn't send a committee letter, then you should have one from each of those subjects..thats how i read it. anyways, its a bunch of crap..how can anyone ask a physics professor who they had no relationship to write them something in the middle of the summer! thats ridiculous...
also...about the "additional information" thing...in the online application, it has it, but in the print-out application it doesn't. so whatsup with this?? anyone know? i feel like its not really meant to be an essay (i'm hoping not), but just a space for logistical comments..like about your LOR's or whatever. anyone have any real information???
thanks

Hobbes - can you post a link to the online version that has an essay/space for additional comments? The only app I've seen has no such thing.

I think it's time to start a new thread for voting for the school with the most screwy application. I nominate Jefferson.

I used it to explain why I applied to Jefferson. But I tried to do that for whatever school whenever I applied to it. Don't worry about it. Leave it blank if you want. Lots of secondaries have that extra space for extra stuff.

Did anyone sumit the online app. and get confirmation that they received it ? thanks

Originally posted by pwrpfgrl

Thanks for making me laugh Adcadet! i feel the same way - i too just received my second identical email (both of mine had the password/id in them) but it was sent from a different email account. i'm just going to ignore what they say about LOR, fill out the three answers in their app. form that apply to me, and be on my merry way.
:p

I will get you bubbles. This is the last time you will thwart my evil plan. For this plan of mine, which is evil, is a plan that cannot be beat. That is to say, no one will be able to stop me from carrying out my plan. Not you or anybody. When this plan is complete, I MOJO JOJO, Shall be the supreme rular of the world. And all of you will be under me as my servants. That is to say, you will do what ever I say. You will not order me to do anything, because then you would be above me, and if you were above me, then I would not be the supreme rular of the world, because you would be the supreme ruler of the world due to that fact that you are the one who is ordering me around. But That will not happen, because this time, my most evil plan to end all evil plans, shall not be twarted and shall succeed. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here is my input on this Jefferson thing.

I got two email messages. The link worked, the username is social security and password is birthdate.

For letters of rec.....i am just going to submit what I have (don't have physics or chem), but I think since we are all in the same boat they don't have a choice.

Ok when I submitted, I got an error. So I redid the application and it went through to payment. But then that didn't work, so redid that and it worked the second time.

So keep at it, that is the secondary and eventually it will go through, hopefully they will fix it.

My two cents:

X:eek:

Has anyone else submitted the Jefferson yet?

Is there no confirmation email with this? Got nothing after submitting.....for $75 bucks you think they can have the damn computer send you "GOT YOUR $75 bucks, Thanks"

X
:mad:

Okay this is the worst secondary EVER. So first I get 2 emails... Then I go to the application and find out that they want...my SAT scores?!?!?!?!? I thought those were for college, not medical school... Good thing I didn't bomb them or anything. Then I submit the stupid thing and get an error message, so I go back and try again, and AGAIN an error message... Then I figure, well three time's a charm, right? WRONG. So I just printed it out and will send in the paper one tomorrow. So much for technological advances... I have a feeling that the only "difficulties" they are experiencing are coming from their own system.

Originally posted by Jalby

I will get you bubbles. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't we all just get along?? :)
:love: :love:

btw - ppg movie is AWESOME!!

but i think jalby is right about one thing - we shouldn't stress about the Jefferson app - it's a pain, but really, it's just a way to get our $$. let's just play along...

:)

I have friends at Jefferson - they tell me in the first two years, they don't care about students very much. But afterwards, the clinical training is excellent. So, maybe this is just standard Jefferson..on the other hand, at least they have their secondary available early, which is convenient. And there's no essay! That is something to happy about. :) :)

My email to Jefferson bounced. So I emailed it to [email protected]. Text is below.

Dear admissions office of Jefferson Medical College,

I am writing this for Mr/Ms. Harasink, who sent an email to me a few days ago. My reply back to him/her bounced, so I'm sending this message to you. What are the "considerable delays" you refer to in your message? Does this
email count as a formal invitation to complete a secondary application to
Jefferson? Am I also being invited to send letters of recommendation as
well? The link you provide redirects to
http://www.tju.edu/jmc/home/index.cfm. Is
http://www.tju.edu/jmc/admissions/applnew.pdf the current secondary
application? Will I be receiving a formal invitation to complete a
secondary application by (snail) mail? Any clarification you can provide
would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Adcadet

Good lord, I just read through this entire thread and I must say, I can't believe how much you guys are freaking out. First of all, based on what I've seen, the Jefferson secondary is a breeze. Just give them your money happily, and pray that they interview you. Jefferson is not, I repeat, is not a safety school. It may look like there are a lot of spots available, etc, but it is attached to a lot of "feeder programs" that effectively decrease the number of spots truly available.( e.g. Penn St/Jefferson 6 year program)

If you all are complaining about this secondary, just wait until you see Duke. :laugh: :mad: Secondly, everyone just needs to calm down. It's only July. You guys are waaaaay ahead of the game. Imagine all the other applicants that either 1) don't know about SDN 2) are lazy and haven't submitted yet, or 3) are so freaked about the August MCAT that they won't touch their application until it's over. Some of you will get early interviews, Sept, Oct. some of you won't. The earliest anyone can be accepted is Oct 15th. So almost 3 months before anyone can do any hardcore celebrating. However, very few people are fortunate enough to be accepted that early. More likely than not, you'll have to sweat it out. Stop the excessive worrying, you'll only give yourself an ulcer. On a side note, I can't believe there are high school students on here already. Live already people!!! Enjoy college! :p ;) :D

Your right papi/ Some people are just stressing out way to much.

And no, bubbles, we can't be friends.