Jefferson Univ Surgery Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PipiChen

Matan, Plushies, and Pamo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would appreciate some info on this program; in turns of competitiveness, program environment, academia, plus other information that makes it a top choice institution in Philadelphia! thank you! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

A great choice if you are single or no family. Typical city program. High cost of living, no parking. Reliance on public transport. Clinically ok though

I can't say much about the gen surg program, but I happen to know that Philly's cost of living really isn't THAT bad. Nowhere near NYC etc. You can buy or rent, and the pub trans is reasonable. Residents can live in nicer NJ suburbs and ride a train (24/7) that drops you off at the hospital in 10-18 minutes. Not bad IMO. I'm married and live in Philly too, so I wouldn't rule it out on that either. Just preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot for the info. I am married with no kids, but planning to have one when I am a resident. We have a place in Wayne and there is a high speed rail just down the hill. so I shld be good in terms of those aspects.

How competitive is the program at Jefferson? It appears it is a really great program with a great reputation and case diversity that attracts top notch candidates.

I am going to sch as an OOS in another state now and would love to return to Philly if possible. Jeff or Temple is my top choice now. I heard Penn is another world of its own so I am not holding my hope high with a mid 230s on the step haha:laugh:

I'm currently a resident at Jeff. I've been very happy with my training here and my competitiveness for fellowship. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the program, either in this thread or via PM