Jefferson vs Dartmouth vs UWashington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooppooppoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted to Jefferson, and interviewed at Washington and Dartmouth a little while ago. Although I have not yet been accepted to Dartmouth or UW, if I were accepted to all three schools I would have a very tough decision to make. I am making this post so I can have the decision at least somewhat thought through if I am lucky enough to have to make it.

Notes about me: I am unsure of where I want to practice (east coast vs west coast) but grew up near Seattle. I see pros and cons to a large vs small class size. I think I would do well in both settings for different reasons. I am interested in derm, psych, and neuro, but pretty open to most specialties.

Dartmouth (Interviewed)
+ Jibbed well with students and other interviewees (left the day feeling like I was with classmates)
+ Happy students
+ Strong neuro/psych/derm programs
+ Ivy name and reputation
+ Dartmouth hitchcock
+ Match list
+ Skiing
+ In a place where I will easily benefit from the connections I have recently made in the northeast

- Hanover - hesitant about being in such a small town in my 20s
- New curriculum rolling out next year (hesitant about being the guinea pig)
- Far from family / any support system

+/- SO would be in Boston. I would have some access to the city.

Jefferson (Accepted)
+ Established and effective systems based curriculum (JeffMD)
+ Connected well with students there
+ Students seemed super happy and like they have a lot of fun in addition to studying all the time
+ Excellent hospital system
+ City center in Philly
+ SO would move with me to Philly

- Weaker match list
- Weaker reputation
- Far from family/friends (but easier get home than from Dartmouth)
- No skiing (not a huge deal, but I enjoy skiing)

UWSOM (Interviewed)
+ Close to home and family
+ Incredible reputation
+ in state tuition
+ Very strong clinical training
+ Small collaboration groups
+ Match list
+ Skiing

- I would feel geographically isolated. I have been in the midwest / east coast for the past 5 years and would feel disconnected from the connections I have made in recent years.
- Not a very close class
- SO isn’t too stoked about Seattle

Please let me know what your thoughts are! My favorites of these three schools changes by the day. Fortunately, since I have been accepted to Jefferson I know I will end up somewhere where I will be very happy. Thank you in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

UW>Dartmouth> Jeff Career wise.
Jeff>Dartmouth>UW SO wise.

Make your call if you get accepted to all three.

Just a small thing on your list of cons, but Jeff is only a couple hours from the Poconos for skiing, although it’s nothing like the mountains out west there are some decent slopes

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson - if you are committed to staying with your significant other. It is the only place that she would like and where you would be able to continue to be together - if she moves with you as you say she would.
People at Jeff have all kinds of connections to others on the east coast for residency match.
UWASH - next choice, due to IS tuition.

Jefferson is a great school, congrats on your acceptance! If it were me, I would attend Washington for cost and reputation. On the other end, Dartmouth seems like your worst option and would decide Jefferson vs. Washington (assuming you get accepted) based on what matters more to you (SO vs. Cost).

These schools all have a great reputation and would not place Dartmouth over Jeff career-wise.
Jeff is a mid tier school, Dartmouth is a mid to upper tier school with and Ivy pedigree. The differences in career outcomes are in all likelhood not significantly different, but are still somewhat different. I havent even looked at the match lists for the past 5 years , but i would bet dartmouth placed more at Stanford,UCSF and MGH, than Jeff did.

Sounds like you'd be happier at Dartmouth or Jeff. Jeff has center city and SO, Dartmouth has name and skiing (but guinea pig class). I'd take Jeff personally, but I'd rather live in the city and not be the first class for the new cirruvulum. However, it's hard not to chase prestige.

Thank you everyone for your input! It is certainly helpful. My SO is flexible and would be fine with working in Boston if I am at Dartmouth. If I am accepted I think second look will be very important to figure out which "feels" right and where I will be happiest.

Any additional input is welcome! Thanks again everyone!