Jefferson vs. Georgetown??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jefferson vs. Georgetown?

• Jefferson

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Georgetown

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters

mdskiier

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide...

Members don't see this ad.

If price is similar? GT, baby, GT!!!

Jefferson...

1) Better hospital -- although Georgetown's hospital is by no means bad, Jeff's has a wider/deeper selection of specialities, etc.... This may give you more of a chance to explore different specialties/sub-specialties than at a school with more limitted offerings.
2) Better city for medical education -- I love DC. It is beautiful, has great museums, and has a certain excitement if you are interested in policy/politics. However, Philly beats it hands down for medical education. Philly has five med schools, which fosters a city environment full of lectures, meetings, symposiums, and other opportunities for medical students. The number of quality hospitals in Philly is truly staggering. All of this will allow you to network and make easy contacts for residency and beyond.
3) Philly is the best value city in the country. You have world-class museums, restaurants, theater, a great music scene, picturesque historic neighborhoods, a good transit system -- I could go on and on. The kicker is that you get all of this with a location 1 1/2hrs from NYC and 3hrs from DC for a very very affordable price. If you're worried about keeping your living expenses down without much sacrifice, Philly is the place.
4) Jeff has the largest alumni network of any US medical school.

Of course, I don't know if you have a spouse in Northern VA or if it is your dream to be a health policy advisor to a senator, but these are just my general thoughts.

And again, as always, I must say "go with your gut".

I like Georgetown, but it is your choice.