Jefferson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does a typical jefferson profile (gpa, mcat, extrac.) look like? do they typically emphasize numbers??

Members don't see this ad.

i heard from my premed advisor that jefferson looks at your verbal on the mcat and your gpa, but as a whole is more of a 'whole person' school

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure the MSAR has all that stuff.

I'll be a first year at Jeff this fall but I got the impression when I was there that the students they interview and those they accept are made up of students with higher numbers and come from more tradionally prestegious schools (Ivy League and the like) (This was not me.) than you would expect for a school that is ranked 50th or so by US News. Jefferson's ranking is hurt by their lack of research emphasis, but it seems like some very competive med school applicants who want to be clinicians choose to apply to Jeff. However, I wouldn't let that bother you, because the whole med school application process seems like a crap shoot. It seems like it isn't what the school emphasizes, but what your interviewer emphasizes. Some are hard core numbers people and could care less if you are an Olympic gold medalist, opened up a clinic for HIV/AIDS patients in Africa, and had the lead role in a Broadway production (hypothetical example) if you got a B- in one science class. Others look at the whole person thing, your progression of grades, etc. I've have been told I was a bad cannidate, and average cannidate, and great cannidate by different people. The best advice I have is if you want a range for numbers, look at the MSAR (try your pre-med advisor, school library, or local library). However, if you really are interested in the school and are anywhere close to their ranges, apply anyway. You never know unless you give it a shot

SJBX said:
However, I wouldn't let that bother you, because the whole med school application process seems like a crap shoot. It seems like it isn't what the school emphasizes, but what your interviewer emphasizes. Some are hard core numbers people and could care less if you are an Olympic gold medalist, opened up a clinic for HIV/AIDS patients in Africa, and had the lead role in a Broadway production (hypothetical example) if you got a B- in one science class.

I find it really amazing how little we, as med school applicants, know about the whole application process. There's so little concrete information out there, and everyone's got a story about their roommate's friend with the 2.95 GPA and 25 MCAT who got in, or the one about the Harvard grad with the 3.99 GPA and 35 MCAT who's going to med school in the Caribbean. It's crazy how much of the med school admissions advice seems to be based on hearsay, rumors, and "I think"s. I agree with SJBX - ask 4 different people what they think of your chances, and you'll probably get 4 totally different answers.

Did you really know someone who applied with amazing extra curriculars, but got rejected because they didn't do well in 1 or 2 classes? I don't think it's that random. The impression that I got at Jefferson (I'm also going to be a first year there) was that they're out to make good clinicians, so they're looking for people that have the "intangibles" that a good clinician needs, but that they can't teach you - do you communicate well, feel comfortable with a variety of people in a variety of situations, well-rounded, etc. They really just want to see what kind of a person you are. I have a feeling that as long as your numbers are decent, and there are no "red-flags" on your application, your interview will play a big part.

And I never believe US News ratings, anyway.