Jefferson's Secondary: Confused....and SAT Scores?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblebear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here get Jefferson's secondary? I assume what they called the "activation form" is their seconday application. Am I right? But how come they ask us for our SAT scores? :confused: I think SAT, taken during my high school years, has no reflection of my intention and capability to be a doctor!
Also, what is the DIMER program? I couldn't find any description of this program in their brochure! I'm applying for the regular MD program, which one under question 7 should I check (since none of them is "regular MD")? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your question. I have a question for you. When they ask for SAT scores, is there an option to enter ACT scores? I never took the SAT, and am starting to wonder what I'll put on my applications that ask for it.

Hey Jamie-

On the Jeff app there is only a question about SAT scores. I too only took the ACT so was thinking of typing it in next to the SAT space.

On the USUHS app there are spaces to report both/either. Guess it varies by school.

b-bear:

No help about the DIMER prog. I looked too and couldn't find anything. Guess I could call them since its a loacl call, and get back to you.

Spang

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, just got off the phone with Jefferson. The DIMER program is for Delaware residents.

They have not received ANY official applications from AMCAS and "IF you send in the printed one you must also send transcripts and MCAT scores."

If you do not check any of the special programs they assume you are applying for regular MD.

There you have it........

Spang

What do you mean we have to send in transcripts and MCAT scores? The secondary never said anything about that. It simply said if you choose to mail the secondary back to them, then don't submit an electronic version of their secondary. Anyone else interpret it the way I did? Hope you can clarify Spang. Thanks.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. IF you decide to send in a printed version of the AMCAS 2002 app now (along with the Activation Form) they also want you to send in copies of your transcripts and MCAT score report.

Sorry for any confusion.

You asked........

Spang

Jefferson is also requiring four letters of rec., one each from a bio, chem, physics, and humanities class, unless you can supply a premed comittee letter. my friend attends a school without a comittee, and doesn't know his physics professor at all. he's considering skipping on Jefferson.

I never received anything from Jefferson for the secondaries... weird...

Where do they say they require 4 letters? They don't mention it on their secondary application at all. I might have to pass on Jefferson as well since I don't even know my physics professors, and I'm sure as hell they don't know me. Also, Spang, when did Jefferson set up the alternate pathway? I
e-mailed them last week I believe, and they were still holding out for AMCAS. Thanks.

I have the same problem, got letters from 2 bio profs, no physics/chem, and one humanities...thinking of skipping Jefferson, or simply ignore their instructions (which could be bad?).

Jee, four recommendations... that is dumb... I am out of my undergrad school for 4 years now... where the heck am I going to find my humanities professor, besides my humanities classes were taught by TAs, and god knows where they are now... probably smoking weed somewhere in California... I don't even remember their names...

yeah, when I heard four, I couldn't believe it. I got one biochem prof, one physics prof and one math prof to write, but where the hell am I gonna get one from humanities? I'm thinking of skipping on it too...

Actually Jefferson's catalog says "If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by indvidual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, **if possible**)."

I only have two faculty letters O-chem and G-chem/biochem profs but am sending lettes from the volunteer coordinator and research director at the hospital I volunteer at as well as a two work references.

I wouldn't skip just because of that. If you're not getting in there I really don't think it's gonna be because you had two letters not four.

You asked.....

Spang

MD2be06, the letters of rec. requirment is mentioned on page 19 of thier brochure. However, they mention that if it's not possible to get all the letters, to address it in a letter to the admissions comittee. The guy that's been removed from school for four years may have a valid reason to base his letter on, but I'm not sure if my friend's going to write a letter explaining that he never got to know his physics professor and thus doesn't feel comfortable asking for a letter. He think he's still skipping on Jefferson.

Well, I called Jefferson and I asked them how many they needed and they said four from FACULTY. I just said forget it. I'd rather save my 65 bucks.

i'm thinking of skipping jefferson anyway because its secondary is so generic. i actually *don't* like when a school doesn't ask for more essays, because it's like they don't care to learn anything more about you as a person and admissions thus becomes more of a numbers game. plus you can tell by all of their legacy questions (ie 'has any member of your family graduated from jeff') that it factors in big--and i have no connection to the school. it was just another place to apply. i know this is true at a lot of schools but most schools, in my experience, do not ask for this information outright.

why the concern about the rec letters? do most of you NOT have premed committees that write composite letters or assemble them in a packet? i thought this was pretty common.

hey moo, when they said 4 faculty letters did they say you could have 2 professors from one science field to compensate for not having a letter from a different science field? for example, could I have 2 Gen Chem letters if I don't have a physics letter? Thanks

I think as long as you have four faculty letters you're fine. They prefer you to have one from biology, chem, phys and humanities. I think that Jefferson is being too stringent in what they want. For instance, I have one each from biochem, physics and math. However, I don't know any humanities profs well enough to ask them for a letter. Now my three profs know me well. They have taught me and they all know me personally. I've had lunch and coffee with them and they aren't just profs I decided to ask because I was in their big huge intro classes. However, with humanities profs, I'm not about to go to some prof I had for English 101 who doesn't even know I exist and who will probably give me a not-so-good letter. Anyway, you get my point. I'm not going to apply to Jefferson. I don't think I can get a fourth prof to write a good letter for me so I'm just gonna forget Jefferson and save my 65 bucks.

I called Jefferson yesterday to ask if I should send in my printed AMCAS along with my activation form. I was told to go ahead and send it without mention of transcripts or MCAT scores. I didn't specifically ask either.

I am a current student at Jefferson and did not use my physic professor for a recommendation. I would say try substituting for another faculty member.

Originally posted by Bruin4Life:
•Jefferson is also requiring four letters of rec., one each from a bio, chem, physics, and humanities class, unless you can supply a premed comittee letter. my friend attends a school without a comittee, and doesn't know his physics professor at all. he's considering skipping on Jefferson.•

When I applied, I substituted letters. Just call & make sure this is still OK, but I sub'd two personal references (from permanant employers) and my engineering senior design letter and then wrote a letter to the committee re:why the need for substitution (non-trad).