Little confused on how to approach this secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starburst217

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Trying to pre-write some secondaries. This wording from Duke is kind of throwing me. The wording for one of their questions from last cycle is: "Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

In my draft of my response to this prompt, I talk about coming from a small town and my experiences there, moving to a big city and encountering diverse people etc. Just not really sure how they want me to tell them how I want to be addressed, recognized, and treated. Like are they looking for my pronouns? If I want to be called by my first name or more formally?

Tyia!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Trying to pre-write some secondaries. This wording from Duke is kind of throwing me. The wording for one of their questions from last cycle is: "Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

In my draft of my response to this prompt, I talk about coming from a small town and my experiences there, moving to a big city and encountering diverse people etc. Just not really sure how they want me to tell them how I want to be addressed, recognized, and treated. Like are they looking for my pronouns? If I want to be called by my first name or more formally?

Tyia!

It sounds like they're asking how you identify, yeah. Although I don't think can ask things like sexual orientation directly, but sounds kinda like they're asking indirectly as well. Like im a cis white male and how being a cis white male has influenced how I perceive or treat others, different experiences ive had with diversity/people of different backgrounds.

Basically they're asking who you are and how that will influence future relationships with many different patients from many different backgrounds

thats my take