Jesuit med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jesuit med schools give an advantage to students who attended Jesuit universities?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if they do officially, but I can tell you that there are a lot of students from catholic (as a whole) colleges i.e. Notre Dame at Georgetown. MUCH more than from any other single college. Can't comment on jesuit undergrad schools specifically though.

i remember talking briefly about it at my loyola interview, but it didn't seem terribly important...i'm sure it doesn't hurt, but i'm not sure how much it really helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know if it really helps at all. i go to a jesuit university (i also went to a jesuit high school-i can't seem to get away from them) and our premed advisor always suggests that we apply to the 4 jesuit med schools. i don't know if she knows something but doesn't tell us. i doubt it has too much effect, but i also doubt that it hurts.

bbas said:
Does anyone know if Jesuit med schools give an advantage to students who attended Jesuit universities?

I don't think it's an outright advantage, but it's helpful in that the med schools will be familiar with your university and the type of education you received there. In addition, they probably have similar missions -- education, social justice, tolerance, "treating the whole person", etc. I went to undergrad at a Jesuit university, and my advisor strongly recommended that I apply to all the Jesuit med schools.

St Louis, Loyola, Gtown . . . and what's the 4th?

The Loyola admissions brochure has a list of all the undergrad institutions represented. It does not appear that there is any unique advantage to people from jesuit schools - geography looks like a bigger factor. I think more important (at least to Loyola) is a demonstrated commitment to the ideals of the school.

I went to a Jesuit undergrad and applied to Creighton (accepted) St. Louis (accepted) Georgetown (interview, rejected), and Loyola (rejected). Creighton was really familar with my school, but so is Loyola, so who knows. I like to think that this is the one area that my undergrad's name is good for. My premed advisor told me to definitely apply to the Jesuit schools, they like accepting Jesuit undergrads. It probably depends on your school, but I think it helped me!

HC05nmd said:
I went to a Jesuit undergrad and applied to Creighton (accepted) St. Louis (accepted) Georgetown (interview, rejected), and Loyola (rejected). Creighton was really familar with my school, but so is Loyola, so who knows. I like to think that this is the one area that my undergrad's name is good for. My premed advisor told me to definitely apply to the Jesuit schools, they like accepting Jesuit undergrads. It probably depends on your school, but I think it helped me!

i think as flop mentioned, geography may come into play. because i applied to creighton and loyola and had the opposite results of you. in fact, not even an interview at creighton.

I wonder how much of any advantage of jesuit undergrad --> jesuit med school is just self selection. Are jesuit college grads more likely to apply to jesuit med schools?

NonTradMed said:
I wonder how much of any advantage of jesuit undergrad --> jesuit med school is just self selection. Are jesuit college grads more likely to apply to jesuit med schools?
Yes they are. I don't think it's a matter of favoritism on the part of Jesuit adcoms, just that the jesuit students tend to apply to jesuit schools automatically. I didnt put one into SLU, but applied to the other 3...