jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
Don't believe the rhetoric that theres a "perfect blade" for different situations. There is not. The "perfect blade" is the blade that YOU can succesfully intubate with. Select a blade early in your career that will be your "go to" blade for a difficult intubation. Over time your skill with that blade will blossom. I am partial to the Miller 2. I can intubate a gravid fire ant with a Miller 2. Conversely, the chairman of my residencys "go to" blade was a Mac 3. I never saw him miss. He once intubated a prone persian cat with Da Mac. Goes to show what works for one clinician may not necessarily work for you. Don't let your attendings tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

IN2B8R

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Don't believe the rhetoric that theres a "perfect blade" for different situations. There is not. The "perfect blade" is the blade that YOU can succesfully intubate with. Select a blade early in your career that will be your "go to" blade for a difficult intubation. Over time your skill with that blade will blossom. I am partial to the Miller 2. I can intubate a gravid fire ant with a Miller 2. Conversely, the chairman of my residencys "go to" blade was a Mac 3. I never saw him miss. He once intubated a prone persian cat with Da Mac. Goes to show what works for one clinician may not necessarily work for you.
Hey, Jet, here is a business idea for you: pack these "pearls" into fortune cookies and go around residency sites to sell them by the jar. I guarantee that residents will buy them and Jensen and Ho will follow with their own brands. I can be your sales guy at an ASA stand--we can have an overhead that reads "Food for Thought!":laugh::laugh:

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There is one factor that determines whether a Miller or a Mac will work the best. You realize it over time. I have only heard one anesthesiologist verbalize it.

The revelation will come to you one day. Or, it may never come at all. In the meantime do as Jet says.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status
Jet:

Gravid fire ant?! LOL.

Funnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

bne_12mne

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Status
There is one factor that determines whether a Miller or a Mac will work the best. You realize it over time. I have only heard one anesthesiologist verbalize it.

The revelation will come to you one day. Or, it may never come at all. In the meantime do as Jet says.
And that is?

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
City Slickers said:
Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is?
[holds up one finger]
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean ****.
Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.
From here.

That's what I keep thinking of after that post. Then I think, "This ain't a movie, and cryptic ain't the way to go here."

But Jet's Pearl is definitely bullseye - it's what I tell the students and residents: what is the best blade to use to tube? The one that gets the tube in.

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
Conversely, the chairman of my residencys "go to" blade was a Mac 3.
I'm astounded that your program had a Chairman that practiced clinical anesthesia, much less picked up a laryngoscope. :eek:

Incidentally, I was curious to see if my prior chairman was board re-certified through MOCA, although he graduated at a time whereby his initial certification is not time-limited,... he is not. I think that speaks volumes.

hoyden

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I love Miller 2, but I have no problem with using Mac 3 or 4 as well.

Why should it be one vs the other? Why can't that be all of them, depending on the situation? The only one I never used (so far) is Miller 3.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status
Attending Physician
IMHO people who are unable to position a Mac blade correctly and don't know how to get the tongue out of the way should use Miller blades.
This is precisely why most CRNA's use Miller.

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't say that I love the Wis 1, but I use it a lot.
So many Miller's and Mac's have been stolen it all I can find half the time.

I've also used Miller 3 on a 50kg lady and a Mac 3 on a 10 kg kid.
My go to blade is whatever is available and clean.
I'd take a Miller 2 though if I had my choice.

Narcotized

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
I always want a Mac 4 working in the room. The flange will just clear all that crap out of the way no matter how massive the tongue, and it's long enough to reach Shaq's larynx. If it's a little tough I don't want to start with a Mac 3 on a fairly big guy only to realize I wasted a look and need something longer.