1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Jewish students...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wolfheart, May 5, 2004.

1. wolfheart

wolfheart Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

For those students interested, I'm curious to know which schools tend to have large and active Jewish populations, as well as communities with holiday celebrations and social/cultural functions... any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Albert Einstein for sure! and Finch and NYU have quite a large number of Jewish students too

4. stoleyerscrubz

stoleyerscrubz Registered User and Stuff
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know you're asking about schools but if you are in NY city and your school does not have this at least NYC does.

5. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

6. no-see-um

no-see-um Bindaas
    5+ Year Member

I agree with this. Depends where the school is located. In big cities, you are bound to find synagogues and Jewish people. I would like to go to a place that has some kind of Jewish student extracurricular student group, myself. In the end, though, tere are many Jewish students out there. Not all of them do I have anything in common with. It's good to be able to find your niche!

:thumbup:

7. Benjo

Benjo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

all of them--jews dominate the elite institutions of higher learning--law, business, medicine, anything. This is a generalization, obiously, but it is a fact that Jews are disproportionately represented in good colleges and professional schools.

8. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

Ummmm. Okay.

9. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow benjo, i am jewish and you are a an idiot.

10. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I think MSSM is a jew haven too. Afterall it's named after that mountain where we got those commendments unless I'm screwing up my old testament mountain names.

11. TheRussian

7+ Year Member

Just a word of warning. My undergrad school has a large population of Jews. It's not Yishiva so you should be able to figure it out. It was mentioned on the Simpsons not too long ago. Anyways, being among so many jews is not that much fun especially if you are not a particularly religious one. They drive me crazy and I'm jewish myself.

12. ndi_amaka

ndi_amaka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can you guys educate me on this??

Is being Jewish considered a race/ethnicity as well as a religion??

The reason I ask: I work as a research assistant and we have ppl fill out forms identifying their racial background. I was inputing the data and have come across a handful of forms that had "Jewish" as a race. Since we don't have that as a category, I don't know whether to insert the info into "white" or "other."

13. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Springfield University?

14. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. Benjo

Benjo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, good reasoning. I am Jewish too.

I am just quoting facts. Jews represent somewhere around 1-2% of the population, but comprise as much as 40% of the "Big Three"--Princeton, Harvard, Yale. Moreover, a whole lot more than 1-2% of doctors or lawyers are Jewish. This indicates disproportionate representation--so how again and I an idiot?

16. AsherAysh

AsherAysh Member
    10+ Year Member

Judaism is a religion, not a race (there are white Jews, black Jews, Asian Jews, etc). However, Judaism could be classified as an ethnicity depending on how ?ethnicity? is defined, especially if ethnicity is defined as ?cultural background.?

17. Tezzie

Tezzie b*witched
    7+ Year Member

Benjo is actually right. The number of Jewish students at the "elite" universities is disproportionately higher. It is the end result of a trend inside Jewish families to "push" their kids to the best college possible based on the belief that such "success" would gain them social acceptance. However the trend nowadays is slowly dying and of course we all know that Jews are a big part of the contemporary American society and are very well accepted. However, 50 years ago anti-semitism was much more visible and was one of the reasons of such a trend.

Btw, TheRussian it's not so hard to figure out where you are : Brandeis!

18. PluckyDuk8

PluckyDuk8 Pluck of all Plucks
    7+ Year Member

This is a personal decision if you want to go to a school with only a large and active Jewish population, but I really don't think you should limit yourself especially when applying (you can always go to an interview and decide a school is not for you or that it's really great). I'll use myself as an example. I went to an undergrad where there was a large and active Jewish population in which I took part, and now I'm in a medical school with a very small and unactive Jewish population. However, the school is near a metropolitan area with a lot of Jews so if I was looking for programming, synoguoges, etc. I know where to find it. I decided on my school because I liked it the most, despite it not having a Jewish population, and frankly I don't have that much time to spend at social events like I did in undergrad anyway. In a way, I think this is good for me because I am meeting and becoming friends with a wider variety of people than I did in undergrad.

19. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

BTW: I TOTALLY agree with TEZZIE and....

as for this post (the one quoted) I get what you're saying but you put it better in this thread than the previous one.

20. TheRussian

7+ Year Member

You got it!!!. :thumbup:

Not only does it have a large Jewish population but the school also has a large Russian population. I thought the school would be a great fit for me but I found that not only can the jews annoy me, but Russians annoy me too.
    :rolleyes:

I still had a great time at the school but for other reasons.

21. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

Yeah I don't like Russians who are into the whole "pseudo Russian mafia thing" or only speak Russian. And I am Russian! Maybe I'm like this because I can't really speak it, so I can only watch. Some Russians are cool. Maybe :laugh: :p

I like religious (e.g Orthodox) Jews. We have dinners together and get to talk philosophy :). Even though I'm only a religious Jewish person in spirit and not by ritual.

Oh and I think most American Jews if we were an ethnic group would be Semitic (together with Arabs). But then again like I said earlier most American Jews have one non-Jewish parent so that kind of skews the equation. I doubt non religious (not Orthodox) Jews will exist in 50 years -- they'll probably just be white Judeo-Christian Americans, with some Jews in the family tree. The intermarriage rate for Reform Jews is 90% and for Conservatives is 60%. I admit, I probably will marry a Christian girl.

22. Benjo

Benjo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, OK, OK--maybe using the word "dominate" was a little too vehement, but hey. But, I retract the wording of my original statement, even though it is essentially complete truth. FOr someone to call me an idiot over it, when it was intended to be hyperbolic is another story.

23. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

Benjo, i think a certain amount of modesty was lacking from your reply which is why you received in my opinion, that well deserved, reaction. not to be all spiritual on you guys but we all need a good amount of faith, jewish identity, and modesty.

24. doctorvenkman

doctorvenkman Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, Jewish parents push their kids to succeed academically, but I think it has nothing to do with social acceptance. Jews simply value learning above all else.

25. USbound

USbound Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why is your name theRussian not theJewish? Just curious. Are those two equal or what?

26. doctorvenkman

doctorvenkman Member
    7+ Year Member

Give it a rest. Don't insult your own intelligence.

27. TheRussian

7+ Year Member

I hope this is a joke because if you are serious you need a huge dope slap.

Russian is my etnicity, Judaism is my religion.