JHU Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VanityFair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody think I have a shot at JHU Medical School? (I'm currently a senior, will apply this fall for next year, currently going to research, then travel a bit)

39 MCAT.
3.92 (Stanford, Statistics major, took several biology classes, a few chemistry including chem for pre-meds, organic, biochem), a couple physics,
a few English, and of course quite a bit of math.

Recs: incredible

essays: reasonably good

Research experience:
Junior senior year mostly working on biostatistics because stat is my major.
During high school and prior to freshman year of college, worked on immunology.
Betwen freshman and sophomore year, worked on epidemiology
Between sophomore and junior worked at Cold Springs Harbor Laboratory on Cancer stuff
Between junior and senior year worked on immunology(during the summer) and biostatstics(during the school year for my thesis)
Starting next week until Feb. 05 working on immunology at St. Jude's Research Hospital

Actually, I'd like to aim for MD/PhD, but I don't think I could make it.
(I've had four papers published).

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you do...unless you come off as a complete tool to the adcom like you are right now with your post.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have a chance. Retake the MCAT and get a couple more years of research and I'd say you'd have a slim chance. You're aiming a little high right now. Do a search for one of the many "bottom tier schools" or "safety schools" threads.

Note: Nice try. This trolling attempt is painfully obvious, since it's just your first post. Start a new name and get a few posts under your belt first.

SurgeryRA said:
Of course you do...unless you come off as a complete tool to the adcom like you are right now with your post.

ROFL :laugh:

This post really sounds like you're trying to show off your resume more than anything. :thumbdown:

As long as you don't write total nonsense on your supplemental, you'll almost certainly get an interview. After that, who knows? Tons of people have numbers like yours, while Hopkins' average numbers are considerably lower. Obviously, something (mysterious) beyond a sketch like this comes into play, so there are no guarantees. But you certainly "have a shot."

J33 said:
You don't have a chance. Retake the MCAT and get a couple more years of research and I'd say you'd have a slim chance. You're aiming a little high right now. Do a search for one of the many "bottom tier schools" or "safety schools" threads.

Note: Nice try. This trolling attempt is painfully obvious, since it's just your first post. Start a new name and get a few posts under your belt first.

No thanks. I apologize if I came off as flaunting. I certainly DID NOT MEAN TO; nor did I mean to come off as a troll. It's just that last time I was ever on a discussion board for admissions stuff was in high school on the Princeton Review College Discussion Board, and usually stuff like this was kind of common. I honestly didn't mean to come off as a braggart or anything.

CalBeE said:
This post really sounds like you're trying to show off your resume more than anything. :thumbdown:

I'm sorry. I *really* am. I didn't not mean to show of my stats, nor did I intend to come off as bragging. I just didn't know whether or not to aim for MD/PhD. at Hopkins. See, the thing is my research isn't really focused and I'm worried about that. :(

And the thing is, the last time I was on a college discussion board was PR, and stuff like this was kind of common.

I HONESTLY DIDN'T MEAN TO COME OFF THE WAY I DID.

"Vanity Fair"? Come on, people. Obvious trolling.

if you only want to go to jhu, then apply ED because it is so random and you are more than qualified. but if you just want to go to any top 5-10, you're golden. ED is not a bad option for you, as many schools that are in the top 10 are non rolling (mailing out letters in march), so even if you send your stuff out a little late to them you'll still get interviewed and be accepted in their first round of acceptances.

anyway, i think i have a lung infection from smoking a lot of cloves/ weed last week, so i'm gonna go pass out and die. senior week, what can you do? i know, i know, its not an everyday thing, hence my bit@# a$$ getting sick.

[cough cough]

If you are serious, yes, you do have a chance, and you can apply both M.D. and M.D./Ph.D.

Members don't see this ad :)
lord_jeebus said:
Stanford has no Statistics major...

It's formally called "Math and Computational Science", but it's essentially statistics.

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/programs/

I said Statistics because it's from the stat department, and I didn't know that like everyone would be familiar with math and computational science.

principessa said:
If you are serious, yes, you do have a chance, and you can apply both M.D. and M.D./Ph.D.

Thank you, so much!!! :)

Yea, you have a shot, but Hopkins seems to be one of those schools that prides itself on selecting students that possess certain "intangibles" (I use that word for lack of a better one, since sometimes the qualities they seem to look for are actually tangible). Most of the people I know that have been accepted there this year or in the past have some sort of special accomplishment that sets them apart from the rest of the go-getters that get good grades (which anybody can do). These things include leadership activities (real leadership, not being president of your undergrad's pre-med club, or something like that), some special talent or passion, or just something incredible that is not restricted to school. Certainly, some people must get in because they have great grades from a grade school, or incredible research (maybe for M.D./Ph.D. of which I know very little), but from what I have seen you need that something extra which shows your passion for either medicine, people, or community improvement.

yes * pat * you do ...id give u a cookie but im greedy
no really im jealous of your stats hehe but i am sure you will do well + get in...take cares

hey vanityfair -

gosh, these sdn'ers sure jumped on you, didn't they? bunch of meanies. :smuggrin: hang on there, you'll get used to it if you stick around on the boards. :)

i think you have a fine shot at either md or md/phd... your research doesn't sound scattered to me, and obviously the rest of your app is strong.

i know a couple of people who got into hopkins this year - kind of a diverse pool, actually. there were a few "strong stats" people, and then some with non-academic strengths.

the impression i've been getting is that admissions at top 10 schools is pretty random. if you're an all-around great candidate (and it sounds like you are), you can be pretty sure of getting into some top 10 or top 5 school - you just can't be sure which one! so it's probably best not to get one's heart set on any one particular school. good luck!! :luck:

leechy said:
hey vanityfair -

gosh, these sdn'ers sure jumped on you, didn't they? bunch of meanies. :smuggrin: hang on there, you'll get used to it if you stick around on the boards. :)

i think you have a fine shot at either md or md/phd... your research doesn't sound scattered to me, and obviously the rest of your app is strong.

i know a couple of people who got into hopkins this year - kind of a diverse pool, actually. there were a few "strong stats" people, and then some with non-academic strengths.

the impression i've been getting is that admissions at top 10 schools is pretty random. if you're an all-around great candidate (and it sounds like you are), you can be pretty sure of getting into some top 10 or top 5 school - you just can't be sure which one! so it's probably best not to get one's heart set on any one particular school. good luck!! :luck:

Last edited:
VanityFair said:
Does anybody think I have a shot at JHU Medical School? (I'm currently a senior, will apply this fall for next year, currently going to research, then travel a bit)

39 MCAT.
3.92 (Stanford, Statistics major, took several biology classes, a few chemistry including chem for pre-meds, organic, biochem), a couple physics,

(I've had four papers published).

Do you think you have a shot at renegotiating your ego?

Anyways, I know a guy with a similar app, a 4.0, and an MCAT score several points higher than yours and was toasted by Hopkins...goes to show that it doesn't go to show, ya know? ;)

JohnHolmes said:
Do you think you have a shot at renegotiating your ego?

Anyways, I know a guy with a similar app, a 4.0, and an MCAT score several points higher than yours and was toasted by Hopkins...goes to show that it doesn't go to show, ya know? ;)

I don't have a big ego. I really don't know; my research isn't as focused as it could be, and my stats aren't astounding. I'm ready to get rejection letter.
Hehe.

though, thanks a lot. (wink, wink) you put a grin on my face. :laugh:

VanityFair said:
...and my stats aren't astounding.

39 is 99.5-99.8th percentile. At my large state university this year, a 3.92 was top 10 in the Math Dept. Those stats seem quite astounding to me.

Vanity Fair--shut the f- up and just apply. You may get in, you may not. Almost everybody gets rejected from somewhere, and over 90% of applicants to Hopkins do. But, it is always worth a try, and your credentials--sadly--make you eligible for at least an interview at the top schools. That being said, I would not focus too much on one school, for many reasons, not the least of which is becoming one of those blithering idiots who uses lots of big smiley faces and hearts everytime he/she posts about their absolute fav med school.

VanityFair said:
I just didn't know whether or not to aim for MD/PhD. at Hopkins. .

Is this because you're not sure whether you want to do md/phd or you're not sure if your research qualifies you?

If you're not sure about the md/phd thing, you could just apply straight MD and then switch into JHU's MSTP program once you're there if you change your mind later. It's relatively easy if you're a med student already. Of course that means you might have to pay for a year of med school. But if you get into the md/phd program and switch out of it, it will go on your dean's letter.

VanityFair said:
I don't have a big ego. I really don't know; my research isn't as focused as it could be, and my stats aren't astounding. I'm ready to get rejection letter.
Hehe.

though, thanks a lot. (wink, wink) you put a grin on my face. :laugh:

Hopkins and Harvard are two schools that do not bow down to numbers, I promise you this. You will almost certainly get an interview at Hopkins, Harvard is far more random .... from there it is nearly 100% your interview. I truly believe this when we are talking about Hopkins and Harvard.

Benjo said:
Vanity Fair--shut the f- up and just apply.

Best advice given on SDN..........ever.

Benjo said:
Vanity Fair--shut the f- up and just apply. You may get in, you may not.

:laugh: :laugh:

Yobot said:
Best advice given on SDN..........ever.

Very true. It's simple and to the point :D .

JohnHolmes said:
You will almost certainly get an interview at Hopkins, Harvard is far more random .... from there it is nearly 100% your interview. I truly believe this when we are talking about Hopkins and Harvard.

Where did you get that from? Both Harvard and Hopkins have acceptance rates around 5%, and their GPA/MCATs are roughly equal.

Both schools have random admissions. I see no evidence to suggest that Harvard is more or less random than Hopkins.

mdmike24 said:
But if you get into the md/phd program and switch out of it, it will go on your dean's letter.

1) Cite your source.

2) Even if true, so what? Do you really think that it puts someone's residency app in jeapordy to have such a note in their file?

MacGyver said:
Where did you get that from? Both Harvard and Hopkins have acceptance rates around 5%, and their GPA/MCATs are roughly equal.

Both schools have random admissions. I see no evidence to suggest that Harvard is more or less random than Hopkins.

He said that's what he believes, not that it is based on statistics. And of course he formulated that opinion from his personal experiences with both schools. C'mon, he's John Holmes. Yes, THE John Holmes. If I had to trust one person's opinion about outrageously high stats, it would be his. :laugh:

willthatsall said:
C'mon, he's John Holmes. Yes, THE John Holmes. If I had to trust one person's opinion about outrageously high stats, it would be his. :laugh:

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

WashU, the John Holmes of Stats.

STOP POSTING!!!!
Seriously--don't add fuel to the fire.

Oh, and thanks for the show of support for my "words of wisdom".
I just hate these threads with a passion.

MacGyver said:

Its anecdocal. You can't get this down to a science Mac, no matter how much you want to try or demand PNAS articles to support opinions on the admissions process.... :rolleyes:

willthatsall said:
He said that's what he believes, not that it is based on statistics. And of course he formulated that opinion from his personal experiences with both schools. C'mon, he's John Holmes. Yes, THE John Holmes. If I had to trust one person's opinion about outrageously high stats, it would be his. :laugh:

You can't beat my 11" stats.... :thumbup: ;)

VanityFair said:

39 MCAT.

Ask a stupid question...

SurgeryRA said:

Get a scathing reply. Welcome to SDN. ;)

I dont have a 3.92, or a 39 on the MCATs however i wanna go for a JHU or UCSF, i am confused too becuase i only have a 3.49, and i havent taken my MCATs yet, and i am going to be a Junior, i have been doing research for a year now in Organic synthesis, and I LOVE it but i wanna go to med-school to learn every aspect of medicine, and then choose between practicing medicine or by DOING medicine (medicinal Chemistry (drug discovery)) i am a Pharmacology major, and my question essentially is which schools should i be aiming at??

Haha, wow, old thread alert. I really hope the OP was joking.

It's cases like the OP that make me want to beat them with a stick for asking stupid questions like those. You'd think being that smart and studying that hard, you wouldn't need to have SDN come stroke your ego with that crap.

Personally, I think that was a troll.

What do you guys mean by all this i am a novice so i am not sure what u guys mean by all this

I dont have a 3.92, or a 39 on the MCATs however i wanna go for a JHU or UCSF, i am confused too becuase i only have a 3.49, and i havent taken my MCATs yet, and i am going to be a Junior, i have been doing research for a year now in Organic synthesis, and I LOVE it but i wanna go to med-school to learn every aspect of medicine, and then choose between practicing medicine or by DOING medicine (medicinal Chemistry (drug discovery)) i am a Pharmacology major, and my question essentially is which schools should i be aiming at??
It's really hard for anyone to count on being able to get into JHU or UCSF, even those with 39 on the MCAT. If you want to go, do the best you can in your classes, get the highest you can on your MCAT, do some really good ECs and hope to get in, but don't count on it.

JHU and UCSF are both almost certainly going to reject you if you have a 3.5; especially UCSF if you aren't a Cali resident. Even then, a 3.5 is really low for those two schools.

this is a bit disheartening but i guess i have my time to prove myself, and make it happen (this is what i say to myself) but thanks a lot for the advice!

JHU and UCSF are both almost certainly going to reject you if you have a 3.5; especially UCSF if you aren't a Cali resident. Even then, a 3.5 is really low for those two schools.

UCSF has a 3.2 cutoff for secondaries. So there's a chance, but they just look at numbers, I've found. Straight 4.0 Bio majors with 40 MCATs is what they look for. WashU as well. People with lower GPAs should apply to schools that actually look at the application. There are many top schools that do this.

and which schools are these? (not condesendingly just wondering) cuz i would like to know

Necrothread.jpg