JHU-interview/acceptance ration and....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumpers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the REAL stat for the ratio between those interviewed and those accepted. Does it include waitlist acceptances as well (i presume it does but just wonder if its ever broken down to show these categories as well). Also, do we truly believe that once you get in the door for an interview its really up to the applicant to get the acceptance. Or do some applicants get an interview for marginal reasons (geographic, research, rec from someone at the medical school etc) and therefore don't have a realistic chance for an acceptance. For those who have interviewed at Hopkins- is it a very serious interview (most of my other interviews have been really relaxed). Do you recommend scheduling the meeting with a fourth year that they offer? Attending a class? The class is 3 hours and meets before my interview and I'm afraid it will make the whole day so long that it will be hard to be "on".... Any thoughts on HOpkins interview are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

About 35% of interviewees get accepted. In terms of the interview, I honestly did not have a terrific experience...I posted my feedback on the interview feedback website, so check that out. But in a nutshell, I just didn't feel a vibe from Hopkins in terms of a place that I thought I'd be happy at...I mean, if prestige is your only concern, then you can't do better. But, the location isn't that great, Baltimore seems grim (this is only my opinion from my experience....others say differently)...I dunno, the actual interview day sucked too...u have to sit with the 4th yr med students that interview you for almost 3 hours creating bogus conversation...its just unsettling and crappy. read the interview feedback site, browse the Hopkins site, and that's pretty much it.

MK

take the 4th yr interview offer, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the MSAR says what percentage of interviewed applicants are ultimately accepted (around 25%?).

As far as the interview day goes, I didn't find it any more/less stressful than interviews at other very selective schools. The 4th years were very cool, as were most of the other applicants.

I really enjoyed my Hopkins interview. There were only two fourth-years with us that day, and so we actually didn't spend much time with them in the "group evaluation" - maybe half an hour? My faculty interviewer was very relaxed, cheerful, and engaging, as were the other faculty who ate lunch with us. My student interviewer had a sunny disposition, also very relaxed. The dean told us that acceptances are offered with personal phone calls and letters, and everyone else is put on the waitlist, which is divided up into upper, middle, and lower divisions. Being on the lower division of the waitlist is basically a rejection - "No one has ever been admitted from the lower division of the waitlist," I think the exact words were.

I can't wait to hear back!

P.S. I didn't attend a class or stay overnight with a student or anything extra because of lack of time, but from what I heard, I didn't miss much. One of the other applicants said she had fallen asleep during the anatomy lecture, and Reed Hall, where you would spend the night, is somewhat of a pit of despair. Baltimore IS kind of dingy, but that is part of what is pulling me there - I want to know what my patients are going through, what their lifestyles are like, instead of being tucked away in an oasis for four years before being unleashed to the real world. Baltimore is hardcore!

I really liked my JHU interview - I wouldn't bother sitting in on a class - you'll sit through plenty once you're in med school. It's not really that stressfull but you do get the sense that you are in some kind of alternate universe where only really smart people live. I stayed in Reed - I made it fun by hanging out with the 2nd years or whoever they were and other interviewees. I have no idea why they interviewed me and I was "rejected". But it was a fun day. And I was born in Baltimore so hell yeah, it's hard core! bring it!

There is a big difference between 25% and 36% acceptances from interviews. I dont have the MSAR so if anyone has the definitive (or at least a number an source) I'd appreciate it. Good heads up on sitting through the class. I thought it might be interesting for half an hour but it is a three hour class and to add three hours to the interview day might be brutal for me. Do you have to request the 4th years- the one post suggests that I request it in his/her opinion but I didn't see an option there. Seems like the interview will be hard core "why medicine" and "what would you do" questions. Finally, for those who interviewed and got accepted by phone- how long does that take and do they follow up with an email or letter in case you dont get your message. As far as Baltimore- i know and like the city although there is nothing to like about the area around HOpkins- but that is true for Univ of MD as well as most of the other schools I have looked at anyway.

The "mingling" part with 4th years is not that bad at all, and you can leave as soon as you are done with yr 2 interviews. Plus I do not think this part of the day is counted towards the interview unless u say smth completely rude. I spent those hours talking to another applicant and did not say a word to the 4th year. I got a call 5 weeks after interview. and snail mail followed in 2 weeks.

if u have any other questions pm me and good luck :luck:

mumpers said:
Seems like the interview will be hard core "why medicine" and "what would you do" questions....

I remember being asked a lot of questions about my path to applying in general - as far as coming to the decision to do medicine and the various steps I took - I couldn't believe how well the dude knew my application - He asked questions about chronology and so forth that amazed me. I would just be prepared to answer any detail oriented question about what you've got on your AMCAS. Don't sweat it, it's fun!