JHU unknown path conference... useful for the AP boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell me if my study tactic is good enough for AP boards... I've already read entire Rosai cover to cover, taking notes as I read. Then I have Osler lectures and notes. So this is what I do... For each chapter, (pulmonary, GI, etc), I listen to Osler lectures and notes, read my own notes several times while looking at Rosai pictures, then I do JHU questions... Then I do Rosai review book questions, and Sternberg review book question. Then there are old RISE exams... Is this enough to pass? Does it cover what's on the boards? What would you suggest?

lol this post sound kinda paranoid, but I'm beginning to freak out a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Please tell me if my study tactic is good enough for AP boards... I've already read entire Rosai cover to cover, taking notes as I read. Then I have Osler lectures and notes. So this is what I do... For each chapter, (pulmonary, GI, etc), I listen to Osler lectures and notes, read my own notes several times while looking at Rosai pictures, then I do JHU questions... Then I do Rosai review book questions, and Sternberg review book question. Then there are old RISE exams... Is this enough to pass? Does it cover what's on the boards? What would you suggest?

lol this post sound kinda paranoid, but I'm beginning to freak out a bit.

Are you serious????? That blows away the amount of preparation I have ever heard anyone else claim.

Most people just say read Robbins and baby Demay once cover to cover and those people passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious????? That blows away the amount of preparation I have ever heard anyone else claim.

Most people just say read Robbins and baby Demay once cover to cover and those people passed.

blah I don't believe anybody who claims that all he/she did was read robbins for boards... Unless they REALLY know their shizzle just from regular studyng during residency.

But what realy makes me freak is teh fact that i dont know whether I'm ready. For usmles there were kaplan questions... Now we've got RISE, and many say that RISE score is not predictive of boards performance

AP has a nearly 90% pass rate for first time takers. I know two people that only focused on CP as they wanted to pass CP right out of residency and then worry about AP after surgical path fellowhsip. They went ahead and took AP/CP figuring it was only an extra $400, plus they would get a feel for the exam. They both claim limiting their AP studying to remembrances and they ended up passing AP and CP on the first try.

Just keep doing what you are doing and you'll do fine.

All I know about is AP, but it sounds like what you are doing is massive overkill. Rosai cover to cover? Are you serious?

Relax.

If you've applied yourself in residency and are at a half decent program, you will pass AP. Also, it is helpful to have decent English skills--boards is first, before anything else, a test of your reading ability.

In contrast to what some others on this board have said, my experience is that AP boards is very similar in depth and breadth to the AP questions on the RISE exam. Others in my program have said the same thing.

CP is something else entirely. If I were going to take both AP and CP boards, I would study CP exclusively.

Who studies for AP boards?
I just went in cold.
The questions are very fair. If you go to a reasonable residency program , you already know all they will ask.
It is actually a real fun exam with some cool/classic slides.

At my program, those who took boards reported that the JHU unknowns were a big help with AP review, since you could do it from any computer with Internet access and do it in little bits at a time or sorted by organ system.

AP has a nearly 90% pass rate for first time takers. I know two people that only focused on CP as they wanted to pass CP right out of residency and then worry about AP after surgical path fellowhsip. They went ahead and took AP/CP figuring it was only an extra $400, plus they would get a feel for the exam. They both claim limiting their AP studying to remembrances and they ended up passing AP and CP on the first try.

Just keep doing what you are doing and you'll do fine.

?: is it true that taking AP and CP separately means you have to get a higher score in order to pass...vs taking them together? Or is this dependent on whether you are AP/CP vs. AP or CP only??? I've heard rumors of both... someone please clarify. For only a few $$ more, heck I'd also try to only-study-for CP route, as mentioned above (anyone know the cost difference???)

I think the cost difference is significant, something like $2000 for one test alone (thus, $4000 if you take them separately.

Actually, it's $1800 each vs $2200 total. So if you take them separately it's $1400 more.

Anatomic pathology only $1800
Clinical pathology only $1800
Anatomic pathology portion of combined AP/CP $1800
Clinical pathology portion of combined AP/CP $1800
Combined anatomic pathology and clinical pathology $2200

I do not think there is are any shenanigans about getting a break in terms of % needed to pass if you take both at the same time. An AP-only in our program is taking the AP part the same day as AP/CP people. I would highly doubt the veracity of those rumors - most likely people looking to justify whatever path they choose or alternatively to scare others.

are you freaking serious? is that a real question? If you've done even a quarter of what you've said, I think you'll be fine for you AP.

I hope you are AP only, because if you are also taking CP boards, then you are wasting time and energy. Let me simplify:

AP Boards = easy
CP Boards = study and roll the dice

Seriously, to the OP, you will be fine on the AP boards. CP is the more difficult test from the standpoint that you walk out not knowing what the people writing the test were smoking at the time they were writing questions. That said, almost everybody passes both parts anyway.

I think the cost difference is significant, something like $2000 for one test alone (thus, $4000 if you take them separately.

Actually, it's $1800 each vs $2200 total. So if you take them separately it's $1400 more.

Anatomic pathology only $1800
Clinical pathology only $1800
Anatomic pathology portion of combined AP/CP $1800
Clinical pathology portion of combined AP/CP $1800
Combined anatomic pathology and clinical pathology $2200

what blows is the fact that you have to finish your residency the year you apply (rule applies for fall exam)...i.e. as a current R3, I can't split up the exams this year and take for example AP in Oct 2008 and then CP in May/June 2009. I was hoping to split them up and still finish before R5 fellowship year. Oh well, guess I'll be taking them together in May/June next year.