JHU unknown surg path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else look at these weekly unknowns that get posted on the web? Is it just because I'm a PGY-1, or are these cases really challenging? Some people say they are representative of what they ask you on the AP boards. What do you think? Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Members don't see this ad.

The AP boards are challenging! They don't put up a picture of small cell carcinoma and ask you to identify it. If they were to put up a small cell carcinoma, the question would have to do with some aspect of the tumor, assuming you know the answer.

cjw0918 said:
Does anyone else look at these weekly unknowns that get posted on the web? Is it just because I'm a PGY-1, or are these cases really challenging? Some people say they are representative of what they ask you on the AP boards. What do you think? Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Link?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I realize the AP boards are challenging. But when you don't have a lot of experience it can be hard to tell if it's just your skill level or if it's truly difficult. That's what I was getting at. http://pathology2.jhu.edu/SP/

Thanks, LADoc, you're my favorite! :)

Its a low grade fibromyxoid sarcoma. Basically a bland spindle cell proliferation in a dense collagenous background. The cuffed rosettes are the key feature:
12.19.05.JIEcase1e.jpg

Originally, Weiss and Folpe called these "hyalinizing spindle cell tumors with giant rosettes", sooo I guess you might be confused if you didnt see that as an option choice. Otherwise, its classic.

But these cases as very hard, especially for noobs and small community practice pathologists. Honestly, anything remotely hard in the soft tissue realm will be sent out of the community to Emory or Brigham etc. so I personally dont think there is too much reason to stress.

And in my opinion, AP boards are not challenging if you spend a couple of solid weeks cramming. CP boards are much tougher.