JHU vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
COA would be comparable

I hope to match into Wash DC, Chicago, NJ.

Maryland
Pros
  • 3x more research funding than SBU ($180 million)
  • Since it's in city, it has good clinical experiences
  • Ranked higher in USNWR (#34) and PD rankings
  • Would be first year with the new updated curriculum (3rd year now starts in May instead of June) - might be a pro or a con
Cons
  • Baltimore is definitely a more dangerous place than long island and parking would be an issue if I need a car for year 3
  • About 1 hour further from home (by car) compared to SBU
  • I hear it's an old style/traditional school
  • I believe clinical rotation sites are somewhat spread out and I need to do a rural rotation/sublet with car for 1 month

Stony Brook
Pros
  • Closer to home by 1 hr
  • 1.5 yr pre-clinicals (ends 1 or 2 months earlier than UMD) - better for STEP 2 CK prep? but also STEP 1 after 3rd year
  • Safer neighborhood

Cons
  • Much Less research funding ($50 million)
  • Ranked lower (#58 in USNWR)
  • Would need to buy a car starting first year
  • Not as good clinical exposure / no Shock Trauma

Neutrals:
  • Both are not true P/F schools
  • Match lists seem to be fairly similar
  • Facilities for both schools seem to be pretty nice (SBU doesnt have free gym though)
  • One odd thing I noticed about UMD was that there were a lot of international physicians who were faculty
  • While UMD is in a city, I know SBU does have lots to do in town since the undergrad is connected plus I dont mind suburban settings anyways
EDIT: Updated with new MSAR #s

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd stay close to home (for a strong support network) and if you want to match in NYC or NY, staying in NY is advantageous. I'd choose Stony Brook in your shoes. There is likely research you can find and get involved in at Stony Brook, it just might not be as readily available as at UMD. The 1.5 year pre-clinical will be nice since step 1 should be pass/fail for our year - it will be better to have more time to do away rotations, research, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd stay close to home (for a strong support network) and if you want to match in NYC or NY, staying in NY is advantageous. I'd choose Stony Brook in your shoes. There is likely research you can find and get involved in at Stony Brook, it just might not be as readily available as at UMD. The 1.5 year pre-clinical will be nice since step 1 should be pass/fail for our year - it will be better to have more time to do away rotations, research, etc.
Thank you for your input! I was also considering Stony Brook because of its many matches in NYC, but just also saw that for the two specialties Im interested in, no SBU student matched to a NY program even though Im guessing most of them wanted to stay home in NY while Maryland matched 1 even though most of its students are Maryland residents.

I was wondering whether location of the school matters for matching into these relatively competitive specialties?

I completely agree with you on the curriculum aspects.

Thank you for your input! I was also considering Stony Brook because of its many matches in NYC, but just also saw that for the two specialties Im interested in, no SBU student matched to a NY program even though Im guessing most of them wanted to stay home in NY while Maryland matched 1 even though most of its students are Maryland residents.

I was wondering whether location of the school matters for matching into these relatively competitive specialties?

I completely agree with you on the curriculum aspects.
A close friend of mine went to a T3 medical school and matched into a competitive program for ortho. They said it's better to go where fewer students are applying to the same specialty at the same school as you. He also said match lists are very hard for pre-meds to judge and that there is a lot of self selection. Stony Brook may have no matches in that specialty because no one wanted to go into it that year or there could be other factors, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, thinking about it now, which school would be best in terms of highest chances of getting into a competitive residency in the following urban locations? (DC, Chicago, NYC)

I don't think I am set on a residency in NYC due to the COL

I voted SB because it is closer to your family. And, I think you'd find a larger Korean population in NY rather than Baltimore.
And although there is the potential to re-classify your state residency, it is not guaranteed. So, try and compare costs with re-classifying after 1 year, after 2, or never.

I voted SB because it is closer to your family. And, I think you'd find a larger Korean population in NY rather than Baltimore.
And although there is the potential to re-classify your state residency, it is not guaranteed. So, try and compare costs with re-classifying after 1 year, after 2, or never.
Thanks for your input!!
I calculated the costs for residency after 2 years and it would still be within range for me. Only if I could never get in-class classification would the choice be a lott easier haha

Thanks for your input!!
I calculated the costs for residency after 2 years and it would still be within range for me. Only if I could never get in-class classification would the choice be a lott easier haha

I'm putting in the residency change requirements for ya, so you can see how do-able it is. Best of luck with your choice!

Please review the petition and the criteria for establishing in-state residency found below. Review the information thoroughly so that you understand the requirements. This information is offered to make you aware of the requirements. It is not intended as a guarantee of a future change of residency status.

• For the 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes for which you wish to be considered a resident, you (or your parent/guardian) must:
  • have resided in Maryland. You must be able to show proof of residence, including the amount you pay and the terms of your lease/deed
  • maintain substantially all personal property within Maryland
  • pay Maryland income tax on all taxable income earned inside or outside the state
  • receive no public assistance from a city, county or municipal agency other than in Maryland
  • have a legal ability under federal and Maryland law to reside permanently without interruption in Maryland
  • have registered to vote in Maryland, if you had been registered in any other jurisdiction
  • license/register all motor vehicles you own in Maryland
  • obtain a valid Maryland driver's license

• Love
I'm putting in the residency change requirements for ya, so you can see how do-able it is. Best of luck with your choice!

Please review the petition and the criteria for establishing in-state residency found below. Review the information thoroughly so that you understand the requirements. This information is offered to make you aware of the requirements. It is not intended as a guarantee of a future change of residency status.

• For the 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes for which you wish to be considered a resident, you (or your parent/guardian) must:
  • have resided in Maryland. You must be able to show proof of residence, including the amount you pay and the terms of your lease/deed
  • maintain substantially all personal property within Maryland
  • pay Maryland income tax on all taxable income earned inside or outside the state
  • receive no public assistance from a city, county or municipal agency other than in Maryland
  • have a legal ability under federal and Maryland law to reside permanently without interruption in Maryland
  • have registered to vote in Maryland, if you had been registered in any other jurisdiction
  • license/register all motor vehicles you own in Maryland
  • obtain a valid Maryland driver's license
Thanks! Do you know if this means I would need to get a job or buy a car if I dont have one?

Thanks! Do you know if this means I would need to get a job or buy a car if I dont have one?

No, you would not. You just need to get your license transferred if you have one. The tax return would be super confusing to figure out since we won’t be taxed as students but you can ask a current student about what they did.