Job advice needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ander120

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some opinions/advice. I'm a new grad looking for a job. I don't have a very specific area I want to work in but I enjoyed my inpatient/acute clinicals much more than my outpatient ones so I'm leaning towards some kind of inpatient. I'm having a difficult time finding a full-time inpatient position. I turned down one outpatient position that I was offered early on through my last clinical to try and pursue inpatient. I've applied to about 5 hospitals for acute positions over a month ago and haven't heard back from any. I also turned down a SNF position that I was offered because I would be the only physical therapist at the location and as a new grad that's not something I want.

My last clinical also offered me a PRN job in acute/rehab which I've started. Just yesterday they offered me a full time inpatient position that would be primarily rehab with acute mixed in. Sounds great however the salary is much lower than I expected and they said there's no room for negotiation. They offered 62,000 with a 7,000 bonus if I'm there two years and 250 a month for loan assistantance. The main issue is is that it's about a 50 minute commute (in good weather). The salary for that commute just doesn't seem great to me so I'm not sure I would want to stay 2 years.

I have another SNF interview tomorrow. I know that SNFs generally pay more. Though I do not have previous SNF experience from my clinicals I like working with the geriatric population so I think it sounds like I might enjoy it.

My question is, as a new grad, is it worth it to take the rehab/acute job for lower pay for the experience or would a SNF job that paid more be just as valuable of an experience?

Also, any thoughts/comparisons on what they offered me salary wise?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the job with higher pay and shorter commute.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely take SNF with higher pay and shorter commute. You still can keep applying to hospitals that are closer and pay more if you want and quit SNF if you find something better. In future, you can still list SNF as "inpatient experience."