Job application follow up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reirrac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying for jobs for a while, got a phone interview from a recruiter and another application was forwarded to a hiring manager. How long does it typically take to hear back from them? The wait is killing me.

By the way, if there's a open position in Ohio please help a new grad find a job ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on many factors
For hospital system, there could be many factors that mitigate the process.

Posting of a job sometimes means little:
Budget cycle planning may play a role.
Position approval from VP and HR even for backfill.
Internal candidate may play a role.
Attrition not announced which can be very common

Once an in person interview is conducted, that should move fast from that point on.
Invitation from pharmacy indicates that all financial approvals are given so money can be spent on the candidates.

One other factor would be availability from your competition. Decision can only be made after all are interviewed are conducted.

My personal experience with a few hospital positions:
Boston Children: Very quick. Two weeks after I applied on indeed. Phone interview with HR, Rx then in person. Whole thing was less than two months.
Cook County: Four months just to hear peep from them. Then I was told to show up on designed day only. No other time available. Offer came two months after that.
Academic hospital in West Coast: Took about 3 month to hear anything back. Phone interview with Rx and in person in three weeks.

It helps to follow up with recruiter/Rx dept. For common staff position, leadership team definitely appreciate initiatives.

Good Luck

Reactions: 2 users
I have been applying for jobs for a while, got a phone interview from a recruiter and another application was forwarded to a hiring manager. How long does it typically take to hear back from them? The wait is killing me.

By the way, if there's a open position in Ohio please help a new grad find a job ;)
If they want you, you will hear back soon. Just because a job is posted doesn't mean they are actually looking for someone. Often they already have someone in mind and they just post the job publically to avoid corruption issues. I would call back in a week to check about the job and leave it.

2018 is not a good year to graduate with a pharmacy degree. The golden days of sign on bonuses is long gone. Good luck. Have you considered moving to rural areas in the midwest or Mississippi? it's very dry near urban areas.

You should consider getting a part time job in the meantime to at least try to pay the interest on your loans. Usually Mcdonalds and Walmart are hiring. Leave your degree(s) off your resume as they will hurt you for entry levels jobs. You should be making at least 10 USD a hour at Walmart or Mcdonalds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yep, double check in a week and leave it at that. All the job offers I've had, I usually got a respond almost right away after the interview...definitely within 2 weeks. After that, they don't want you or they waiting on someone else first.

If they want you, you will hear back soon. Just because a job is posted doesn't mean they are actually looking for someone. Often they already have someone in mind and they just post the job publically to avoid corruption issues. I would call back in a week to check about the job and leave it.

2018 is not a good year to graduate with a pharmacy degree. The golden days of sign on bonuses is long gone. Good luck. Have you considered moving to rural areas in the midwest or Mississippi? it's very dry near urban areas.

You should consider getting a part time job in the meantime to at least try to pay the interest on your loans. Usually Mcdonalds and Walmart are hiring. Leave your degree(s) off your resume as they will hurt you for entry levels jobs. You should be making at least 10 USD a hour at Walmart or Mcdonalds.

What a Humble outlook on the situation.

It's not a good time for a lazy Sloth of a new graduate, I guess

Thankfully I don't have any loans at the moment, so I need not humble myself any further with minimum wage jobs.

I was not aware hospital jobs had a long delay in terms of financial budgeting approvals before offering in-person interviews, so I suppose I should spend the downtime applying to more jobs and settling my affairs.

You should consider getting a part time job in the meantime to at least try to pay the interest on your loans. Usually Mcdonalds and Walmart are hiring. Leave your degree(s) off your resume as they will hurt you for entry levels jobs. You should be making at least 10 USD a hour at Walmart or Mcdonalds.[/B]

You sound about as clueless as a pre-pharmacy student. Do you actually have a job? Are you a pharmacist and what year did you graduate if so? Genuinely curious.

OP use the website ihirepharmacy.com; there are a lot of jobs and you can select the search radius to your desire (50, 75, 100 miles, out of state, etc). Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: