Job dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

objleakT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a job dilemma. One more year left of residency at a community-based academic program. I Have been in serious talks with my hospital to be the APD when I graduate in a year, with a hybrid academic/clinical position. I more recently reached out to a hospital in my hometown to start the process of being recruited there for a clinical position (non academic) and that is moving a little faster than I anticipated, and I may have a job offer from them soon. I have been up front with them about being in talks for the APD position where I am at currently.

Lets say the contract offer from hospital #2 is far and away better financially than the APD job, as I anticipate it will be. Should I feel bad about “stringing” my program along, especially if I have one more year left?

And then, if I decide to take the APD job at hospital #1, do you think I would still be able to work at hospital #2 in the future or will they forever remember me as the physician that they gave an offer to and he/she declined?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I have a job dilemma. One more year left of residency at a community-based academic program. I Have been in serious talks with my hospital to be the APD when I graduate in a year, with a hybrid academic/clinical position. I more recently reached out to a hospital in my hometown to start the process of being recruited there for a clinical position (non academic) and that is moving a little faster than I anticipated, and I may have a job offer from them soon. I have been up front with them about being in talks for the APD position where I am at currently.

Lets say the contract offer from hospital #2 is far and away better financially than the APD job, as I anticipate it will be. Should I feel bad about “stringing” my program along, especially if I have one more year left?

And then, if I decide to take the APD job at hospital #1, do you think I would still be able to work at hospital #2 in the future or will they forever remember me as the physician that they gave an offer to and he/she declined?

TIA

Absolutely not. Do what you have to do. This is the first time in your career that you’ve had any level of control and power...abuse it!

Reactions: 1 user

TIA

Neither side should hold a grudge. If hospital 2 liked you enough to offer you a job now and there is one open in the future they will likely remember you and want to offer it again. This isn't like dating. We're all professionals.

If hospital 1 puts out a crappy offer they shouldn't be surprised if you don't take it.

Reactions: 3 users
Totally agree with above. You are not the valued commodity. People should be recruiting you. Don't abuse it or you'll be left without offers but this is to be expected.

I will say that whether hospital 2 should take it personally or not (they shouldn’t), sometimes they will. An offer now doesn’t guarantee an offer in the future. If you take it and back out later, you may hurt their feelings.

Reactions: 1 users

TIA

As to whether hospital 2 will remember you as the physician that turns down their offer depends on 2 things.

- how in demand/lucrative your specialty is? If you're ortho or something similar, I doubt there will be any issues because all admin sees is $$$.

- how much of an inferiority complex does administration have? Most hospital administrators are not the brightest people in general and some can hold grudges or act irrationally

As far as stringing along your program. These seem like 2 fairly separate jobs. Do you want to be purely clinical or in a teaching environment? There are trade offs to both. If you want to purely maximize your end of year earnings regardless of amount worked, the second job will probably accomplish that.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone. The APD job with hospital #1 is part of a combined academic role and part of the larger call group with whom I will have to work as a chief resident still this upcoming year. I am leaning toward the academic position because I feel like it will open up more doors in the future. I have also already “verbally agreed” to this job, although nothing is in writing, so that’s why I reached out to hospital #2 to ensure I wasn’t going to get screwed by hospital #1 at the last minute. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts!!

I recommend being up front and transparent with hospital #1 at this point (or once you get your offer from hospital #2.) You want to stay there but you have another offer - you need to know what their terms will be. You won't be the first person in history who was "promised" a job at their home program but when it came down to crunch time, no offer materialized. At minimum they should be able to cobble together a letter of intent that outlines the basics of their proposed salary and benefits. When you have your offer from hospital 2, you might be able to counter hospital 1 for a better base, benefits, or signing bonus. Who knows.

If you are honest with people, only the truly pathologic will hold a grudge.

Reactions: 6 users
This is business, do what is best for you. Both of these places care very little for you and if they can find someone to do the same for less $, then you will be out.

Med students/residents/attendings have a fallacy that corporate cares about them. They only care if you are able to put the widget in for a good price.

Reactions: 3 users
I have also already “verbally agreed” to this job, although nothing is in writing, so that’s why I reached out to hospital #2 to ensure I wasn’t going to get screwed by hospital #1 at the last minute.

No such thing as "verbally agreeing" to a job, as @bikelady suggests. It's either in writing, or it's noise. If hospital #1 hasn't come up with the goods, you should absolutely be looking at other options. Not only to protect yourself from them pulling the rug out from under you, but also to potentially strengthen your negotiating position. As others suggest, there is no reward for being "nice" in this process. You should absolutely be looking out for your best interests first, because that is absolutely what (both) hospitals are doing.

The one situation you'll have to be careful about is when hospital #2 gives you that offer letter. I'd be clear with them that you're waiting on another offer, and get a sense of when they are looking to have an answer. Turning them down shouldn't generate hard feelings, but holding the offer for some extended period time when they are expecting a quicker decision isn't the best look. Though you can potentially use this to your advantage. When you get the written offer from hospital #2 I'd go directly to hospital #1 and say "I've got an offer, and they need an answer by X. For me to turn them down, I'd like to talk about an official offer letter from you."

If you do that, you'll have to be ready to play it however it shakes out. They may say they still aren't ready. Then you have to decide if you're willing to take the gamble that they'll eventually make an offer. Personally, if I went to them with a competing offer and they still drag their feet, I'd be fairly suspicious.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks everyone. I guess I am just a people pleaser and want to make everyone happy, when really that’s not going to be possible in this scenario. I appreciate the guidance!

It’s also possible if you talked to say, a department chair, they may genuinely want to hire and work with you but it’s not their ultimate decision. Not going to get too specific but I recently saw this happen for hospital budget reasons. So anyway I definitely agree with the advice to go to #1 if they don’t give you an offer before #2 does, and beware if #1’s offer still doesn’t materialize.

Reactions: 1 user