First Job Negotiations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fngerscrossed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I am looking for some guidance on how to negotiate my first contract out of residency. I want to be a good advocate for myself, but also do things the right way.

I currently have two offers.

The first hospital had sent me a contract to review. The second has only sent an offer letter with pay and benefits, which came as an email from the director.

I really want the second job, however I really can’t justify the salary difference (hospital 1 pays quite a bit more). In the end, they are both great positions.

I plan to get a lawyer to go over any contract before I sign, but what is the typical process? Do I wait until I have a lawyer to request a higher salary, or do you typically discuss that with the director after an offer email? I need to know if I can get them into the same ballpark as my first offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Good point. This is for a Pediatric hospitalist position. Typically peds has a reputation for being more passive with these things, so I was hoping to get some feedback from others as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All! I am looking for some guidance on how to negotiate my first contract out of residency. I want to be a good advocate for myself, but also do things the right way.

I currently have two offers.

The first hospital had sent me a contract to review. The second has only sent an offer letter with pay and benefits, which came as an email from the director.

I really want the second job, however I really can’t justify the salary difference (hospital 1 pays quite a bit more). In the end, they are both great positions.

I plan to get a lawyer to go over any contract before I sign, but what is the typical process? Do I wait until I have a lawyer to request a higher salary, or do you typically discuss that with the director after an offer email? I need to know if I can get them into the same ballpark as my first offer.

In general it is good that you have an even more specific offer that you are prepared on some level to accept already. This allows you to go to Preferred Job/Job #2 and say: "hey, I would really love to work with you guys most of all, but I have this offer for $X from Job 1 and I see that you guys are offering a lot less. What can you all do to try and narrow that gap?"

Bear in mind if Job #2 is a big organization they are probably not going to budge on salary but other aspects may be negotiable

Reactions: 2 users
but I have this offer for $X from Job 1 and I see that you guys are offering a lot less. What can you all do to try and narrow that gap?"

Good wording on this.

Reactions: 1 user
In general it is good that you have an even more specific offer that you are prepared on some level to accept already. This allows you to go to Preferred Job/Job #2 and say: "hey, I would really love to work with you guys most of all, but I have this offer for $X from Job 1 and I see that you guys are offering a lot less. What can you all do to try and narrow that gap?"

Bear in mind if Job #2 is a big organization they are probably not going to budge on salary but other aspects may be negotiable

As I’m just about to get into this myself, any ideas on non salary negotiable items?

Signing bonus.
Relocation compensation.
CME money.
Non-clinical time.
Benefits.

This. I had a place offer me an extra 3 weeks vacation time because they couldn't meet the salary of another job off I had. They also offered sign-on bonus and CME funds. In the end, I went with the other job, but these things are definitely negotiable even at places that can't/won't negotiate salary.

Try to find MGMA numbers and negotiate from there. Leverage the other offer, but don’t tell them where it’s from. Absolutely make it about money, don’t be bashful about that. It’s all a business, you’ll realize that. You have a skill that very few have.