Job Experience or Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthenaProject

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if it looks better to get a job next semester or start research? I'm a freshman, but I'm not sure which option would be better for dental school. Also what kind of jobs would be good?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was wondering if it looks better to get a job next semester or start research? I'm a freshman, but I'm not sure which option would be better for dental school. Also what kind of jobs would be good?
They both look great...it’s hard to compare. Only do research if it’s something you enjoy. Otherwise, make money working! Since you’re a freshman, I would just advise you to make sure you can handle all of your coursework before taking on large commitments like those. But good job for being ahead of the game! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I personally would say research,but having job experience is great as well. If you start research now, it could be very possible to have a publication by the time you apply and that would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get a job as a dental assistant if you can. Check your state's requirements. I know you don't need your RDA cert for the first year you work as a DA in TX.

Depends what kind of job.
What kind of job? Dental assisting, tutoring, mentoring, even event planning could be helpful in developing your hard/soft skills.
If it's a lower-tier job like retail or dining hall, then I'd say research if you have the chance instead.

Get a job, preferably healthcare related. Unless you really like research. Doing research just for your app is useless and boring

Depends what kind of job.
What kind of job? Dental assisting, tutoring, mentoring, even event planning could be helpful in developing your hard/soft skills.
If it's a lower-tier job like retail or dining hall, then I'd say research if you have the chance instead.
I was thinking tutoring maybe? Or should I go with a more clerical/professional related job?

I’m working as a front desk/patient coordinator and have learned a lot about insurance, billing, and scheduling!! Overall dental schools have been impressed with this, and you won’t need to get a certification like you do for dental assisting :) best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users