Job finding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure4cancer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a student in UBC about to get a undergrad degree in BSc Pharmacy.

I was just wondering how are jobs like down in the states? Do I need a specific level of training before I'm allowed to work in a hospital?
Do I have to start in a clinic .. or a place like shoppers drug mart?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there: funny thing, as we are considering a move up north (though I'm not sure if I can pay off my student loans in a reasonable time if I move up to Canada... my husband's from Canada so we're seriously thinking about moving up to beautiful BC if the political climate doesn't change here (and I'm thinking it might not...)

I'm a P1 at UCSF and i'm not 100% clear on the reciprocity agreements (if any) between the States in the US and the BC Province. Pharmacy licences are issued on a state level so you should look into boards of pharmacy in states like WA & OR to get started. I'll be doing the reverse (looking into working in BC with a PharmD degree) and in CA we'll be taking the NAPLEX exam (which is national) so I'm hoping that I can take a similar exam in BC and be able to continue my career there.

www.pharmacy.state.or.us/ for Oregon board of pharmacy
www.doh.wa.gov/pharmacy/ for WA board of pharmacy

hey, it looks like there is an actual section for "Application Checklist for Canadian graduates" on the Washington forms. That's interesting.

As for specific places on where you could work, I'm sorry, I don't know... but it looks like they would recognize your degree here in the States, which is great! Most pschools on the west coast offer a 'PharmD' degree, so you might be competing with them for jobs, but honestly, it sounds like good pharmacists are in high demand, so I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage, regardless of where you apply.

good luck & keep us posted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apteka said:
Most pschools on the west coast offer a 'PharmD' degree, so you might be competing with them for jobs, but honestly, it sounds like good pharmacists are in high demand, so I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage, regardless of where you apply.

The degree offered by pharmacy schools in the US is a PharmD, not just on the west coast. I don't even think there's a school out there that still offers a BS. If there is then the program is definitely behind the times.

The BS Pharm is no longer offered in the US. The OP is attending school in British Columbia.

For the OP:

Foreign graduates have to be careful when they tell employers what degree they have. Since your degree is not recognized in the US, you need to make sure your resume and any communications with a potential employer make it clear that you have a foreign degree. At least in WA you would be guilty of fraud if you misrepresented yourself to an employer by not making sure that they understand that your BSci in Pharmacy is from outside of the US.

Walgreens in Bellingham, WA has hired several Canadian pharmacists. Someone there may be willing to speak to you about their experience.

How far are you from graduation?

Apteka said:
Hi there: funny thing, as we are considering a move up north (though I'm not sure if I can pay off my student loans in a reasonable time if I move up to Canada... my husband's from Canada so we're seriously thinking about moving up to beautiful BC if the political climate doesn't change here (and I'm thinking it might not...)

I'm a P1 at UCSF and i'm not 100% clear on the reciprocity agreements (if any) between the States in the US and the BC Province. Pharmacy licences are issued on a state level so you should look into boards of pharmacy in states like WA & OR to get started. I'll be doing the reverse (looking into working in BC with a PharmD degree) and in CA we'll be taking the NAPLEX exam (which is national) so I'm hoping that I can take a similar exam in BC and be able to continue my career there.

www.pharmacy.state.or.us/ for Oregon board of pharmacy
www.doh.wa.gov/pharmacy/ for WA board of pharmacy

hey, it looks like there is an actual section for "Application Checklist for Canadian graduates" on the Washington forms. That's interesting.

As for specific places on where you could work, I'm sorry, I don't know... but it looks like they would recognize your degree here in the States, which is great! Most pschools on the west coast offer a 'PharmD' degree, so you might be competing with them for jobs, but honestly, it sounds like good pharmacists are in high demand, so I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage, regardless of where you apply.

know someone who graduated from pharmacy in BC and is studying dentistry now. it seems that the job market is not THAT hot in BC. but a lot could change by the time you graduate.