Job Flexibility?

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by ksiem, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ksiem

2+ Year Member

If you worked in a clinical setting around ~40 hrs/week could you do some out patient on the weekends and afterwork? What is the usual rate that can be charged for home visits? Is that price enough considering travel time and gas prices? Is all that's needed for home visits a newspaper ad? i.e. no extra certifications? Thanks guys.

2. fbplayr75

fbplayr75 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I can't answer your question personally, but I work for two therapists that that work in the outpatient setting as well as do home health on the side.

The owner of the clinic told them that they could do all the home health they wanted as long as it didn't interfere with thier hours in the clinic.

As far as reimubursments for home visits go, it depends on the agency you go through, we use three separate agencies, one is a hospice, the other does strictly post-op nursing home visits, and the last one give us all sorts of patients. The money is anywhere from $45-$65 per visit for the therapist.

3. truthseeker

truthseeker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You would have to be certain to have your own separate liability insurance. Most employers won't cover you if you are moonlighting unless you have very specific permission to do so (I would recommend in writing).

To ask whether it is worth it or not, well that depends upon your choice. I have two kids and a yard to mow and a golf ball to chase. My time away from the office is precious to me. Not worth $65 per hour. If you have the time and inclination and want the money more than the free time, go for it.

The more PTs that do home health, the better for me, because I don't like to do it.

4. PTapp

PTapp DPT
    2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    After I graduate, I would do home health as an extra income to pay off my loans though I don't plan on doing it in the long run.

5. superCOTA

superCOTA MS, OT by 2011 !!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Many a PT on Long Island works extra hours- evenings and weekends.

There's no limit to the work you can sign on for.