1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

Job hunting advice

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by 2018grad, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 2018grad

2018grad

Aug 30, 2017
    Hi
    I'm currently a P4 on my APPE Rotations expecting to graduate in may. I have been an intern at a chain retail store for the past 3 years but am looking to relocate to Chicago. The store I am currently working for does not have any stores in Chicago. I missed the deadline for interviews at my school because they only had positions for jobs In New England and I assumed they would provide more interview oppurtunities for position outside of the area. When would be a good time to start contacting district managers? Should I start now? Do I apply online as a grad intern or simply call pharmacies and to get PDMs emails and go from there? Should I contact pdms in my area and go through the process with them and then try transferring to Chicago ? Also is the job market saturated/hard to find a job in Chicago?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Does your school have a career fair planned closer to graduation? No one is going to hire a P4 in August when you won't even by licensed until June/July of next year at the earliest. Get your resume in order and start applying next spring.

4. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    chicago is notoriously bad for jobs, id say apply all over online and fly out to chicago and ask for dm email in person while on a vacation. I got a couple offers this way but its the south where people are presumably friendlier.

5. PharmD500

PharmD500 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Dec 31, 2016
    Uh yeah. I would say Chicago is very saturated. Same goes for any major city in the US. Some are worse than others, and I would say Chicago is definitely one of the more saturated ones. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it might not be easy unless you get lucky.

6. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    (Nonsarcastic)
    If you're going retail in Chicago proper, it's not saturated if you're willing to work in an area that I would never get drive-thru fast food in. The unsafe neighborhoods do have jobs, but you do not get hazard pay for working in them in exchange for the "privilege" of working in Chicago. Hospitals pretty much recruit only from their own residents or it's Cook County, Loyola, or Sinai. If nothing else, get in with a temp agency and work mail order. If you have any known past as a union worker, it's not possible to work in Walgreens in IL.

7. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    Saturated is quite the understatement. There are only 5, yes FIVE, pharmacy schools in Chicago. Suffice it to say, there are no jobs for "outsiders" in Chicago.

[QUOTE="lord999, post: 19263050, member: 10549] If nothing else, get in with a temp agency and work mail order. If you have any known past as a union worker, it's not possible to work in Walgreens in IL.[/QUOTE]

Walgreens is unionized in Chicago, so they obviously have union people working for them in IL.

8. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    It is and that's why they unofficially try to avoid hiring union. They don't want even more to worry about when a strike is threatened.