Job Market for EMT-B and CNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone know the current job market for EMT-B and CNA in/around the New Haven, Connecticut area. I'm deciding where to get a EMT-B or CNA depending on the job opportunities.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Anyone know the current job market for EMT-B and CNA in/around the New Haven, Connecticut area. I'm deciding where to get a EMT-B or CNA depending on the job opportunities.

Thanks a bunch!!!

check the job sites for all of your local hospitals. there should be plenty of er tech and cna jobs posted there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, thank you guys, and esp. to emedpa for replying both of my threads!

Hi guys,

Thanks a bunch!!!

I would decide which job you prefer first. They are VERY different. CNA's spend a large amount of time bathing and cleaning up after patients. They are never in an emergency setting.

EMT's drive ambulance and deal with real emergencies....

^^^Yep, what Rockford said.

Depending on the kind of experience your looking for.... also looking into being a EMD..... Emergency Medical Dispatcher, I went from an ER to being a dispatcher when I found out the pay was almost double and gave me a lot more time for homework.

Where I live, EMT-Basics don't see many real emergencies unless the emergency happens while they're doing the nursing home run.

I'm licensed as an EMT-B and ended up working as a home health aide because at the time I got into HHA, I was dealing with health problems (hyperthyroid, then effects of the medication they had me on) and wouldn't have been able to deal with the physical demands of EMT, and I'm also a GODAWFUL DRIVER.

Health problems have since resolved and after a few different consumers/clients/patients (what they're called depends on what agency, what kind of agency, and who hires you) I can safely say I learned a lot more than I bargained for.

People will "poo-poo" (pun intended :D ) this work, but I've seen a greater variety of things and had a much greater scope of practice than I would have had working on an ambulance. Many HHAs (along with the stereotype) indeed don't have a high school education and don't speak English, but there's a spectrum, and in my case, I work with medically high-maintenance consumers in positions that generally hire nursing students and CNAs. I've participated in my consumers' ongoing care with their healthcare team, which I wouldn't participate in, on an ambulance. I'm trained by a visiting RN in managing one consumer's pressure sores, and a huge part of my job is assisting the RN. In many cases the HHA ends up doing things that in a facility only an LVN minimum would do. I've also dealt with real emergencies. 85% is domestic drudgery, but the other 15% has been invaluable.

One of the reasons I'm switching to hospital or facility, *is* because my field is so unrespected, and because of the pay. We don't get good benefits most of the time, workman's comp (for doing a job that can render the *giver* disabled if there's an accident) or for that matter, respect. I'm just waiting for people to start making jabs the moment I said "home health aide".

At some point I may very well end up working ambulance, but I'd be going from having a broader scope of care to a narrower one. It's my experience as an HHA that made me decide to get my CNA license, which I'll be doing soon.