Job market question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be a nuisance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably but who knows what the job market will be? Five years ago em was on fire with no open spots in the match and two years ago the market was dog****

Reactions: 1 user
Probably but who knows what the job market will be? Five years ago em was on fire with no open spots in the match and two years ago the market was dog****

This is very true! I think the situation with EM has made things a little scary for people fairly early in training. Things changed SO FAST.

I was just hoping for some insight on how things were like for people in this situation when the job market was fairly poor a few years ago under the assumption that this good market won't last forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me and move this if this is not appropriate for me to be posting!

I was deciding between MD/DO and Cardiovascular Perfusion for awhile. Obviously, I can't know for sure until rotations, but Anesthesiology is on my radar. As I understand it, their job market was poor for quite some time and seems to have rebounded recently.

For childcare reasons, I want to live relatively near the grandparents. No quoting, but I'm from north central Illinois (south of Rockford, north of 80, FAR west of Chicago). My in-laws are what I would call the "exurbs" of Chicago (~2 hours away from the city, pretty sparse but no commercial farms). My own mom's house used to back up to a hog farm, so we're out in the sticks.

My partner works permanently remotely as a software engineer, so we could live in the middle of nowhere or in Rockford and don't have to be in Chicago/the Chicago suburbs proper. It's just important to me to have the extended family relatively close long-term so the kids can have a close relationship with their grandparents and for aging parents later.

Is Anesthesiology reasonable job market wise if you need to live in a relatively specific place like that (i.e. Illinois north of I-80)? Was that reasonable when the job market was worse pre-pandemic?

Does a fellowship make you more marketable even for the little community hospitals? If so, would it make me marketable *enough*?

I appreciate any insight you may be able to offer!
Are you a medical student?

If you pick a career path based on where you think you HAVE to live 8-10 years before you even get to that point, that's kinda foolish. You do understand that there are no guarantees where you might go to medical school or residency, right?

I would think perfusion is a problematic choice - more and more cardiac procedures are being done off-pump, and frequently in the cath lab with sedation only.

Reactions: 2 users
If you pick a career path based on where you think you HAVE to live 8-10 years before you even get to that point, that's kinda foolish. You do understand that there are no guarantees where you might go to medical school or residency, right?

I know! My partner is fine with moving wherever temporarily for training. He said he was fine with the length. I just didn't think it was fair to him to live far away long-term. I think, for me too, that I'm okay with it for training but not for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.