Job Market Updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cowme

Was wondering if any current residents had any updates on the market this year? Are things looking any better than in years past, or still pretty rough out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Job market is unchanged. Still tough. But at the end of the day, everybody can find a descent job with some compromise. It may not be what your seniors used to find 5 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering if any current residents had any updates on the market this year? Are things looking any better than in years past, or still pretty rough out there?

Not sure, Everyone from my the class above me have found jobs they are happy with in various subspecialties. I will know more when I get deeper into my job search.

It may help to get the state license of the place u are interested in before hand as many jobs dont want to hire u and wait 6+ months for u to get a license especially in Cali, Texas and Florida

Talked to some random recruiting company that emailed me by accident; I'm an ACR, RSNA,... member that recently upgraded my status to resident. Anyway, I don't know how truthful this guy is but he was talking to me about people that he recently placed with "7 figure" salaries in Nebraska, "600K" in New Mexico, both for IR, and "300K" starting for general radiologist in a large Midwestern city. Got me pretty pumped.

Talked to some random recruiting company that emailed me by accident; I'm an ACR, RSNA,... member that recently upgraded my status to resident. Anyway, I don't know how truthful this guy is but he was talking to me about people that he recently placed with "7 figure" salaries in Nebraska, "600K" in New Mexico, both for IR, and "300K" starting for general radiologist in a large Midwestern city. Got me pretty pumped.

Your numbers are off. 7 figures do not happen these days, no matter what field you do (rads, ortho, neurosurgery,...) and how much experience you have, unless you are doing business side of medicine which is a different story (I know a psychiatrist who went for hospital manager position and after a huge effort he made it, now as a hospital manager constantly he makes 2 mil a year).
For first year out of education it did not happen even during the golden years of medicine in this country.

Your numbers are off. 7 figures do not happen these days, no matter what field you do (rads, ortho, neurosurgery,...) and how much experience you have, unless you are doing business side of medicine which is a different story (I know a psychiatrist who went for hospital manager position and after a huge effort he made it, now as a hospital manager constantly he makes 2 mil a year).
For first year out of education it did not happen even during the golden years of medicine in this country.

i don't know about now, but there was at least one 7 figure job starting a few years back. i doubt anything like this is still around.

I heard through my family of a 7 figure offer in Iowa for an Iowa grad last year, fwiw

The radiologists I know that are making 7 figures or near to it are usually working obscene amount of hours. Two of them are the only radiologist in hospitals that would comfortably support 2-3, but are in crappy locations that nobody wants to live.

One of the guys does have the coolest setup ever though. It is like a command center with a full semi-circle of displays around him and his mini-fridge and coffee maker behind him. The doors out go directly to the CT and MRI. (Does have to walk further for some modalities)

Not sure, Everyone from my the class above me have found jobs they are happy with in various subspecialties. I will know more when I get deeper into my job search.

It may help to get the state license of the place u are interested in before hand as many jobs dont want to hire u and wait 6+ months for u to get a license especially in Cali, Texas and Florida

I just accepted a job in a pretty desirable area that is outside of my geographic region. I think what helped me was willingness to do everything (in terms of diagnostic in addition to IR), having a state license already, previous moonlighting experience, and ties to the area.

People will not take u if u are going to work for a few years and then leave. They want to know that u are in it for the long term so u have to demonstrate that sincerity to them.

Surprisingly they didnt care about my program (low - mid tier) or fellowship (not a big name). That probably varies from group to group. I felt that was a huge thing for fellowships.

Also I was very aggressive in showing my interest, probably to the point of annoying. They probably hired me so I would stop calling them. U gotta use a fine line with this as this can backfire. U want to show interest but not piss them off.

If u guys are on auntminnie, there is alot of doom and gloom about jobs, but I guess its not that bad. I can answer more questions on PM as I dont want to get into too much details on a public forum but I feel that certain things above may help with the job search.

later

I actually spoke with a locums guy recently and he said the job market is improving by about 10% per year based on the jobs for which they consult. When I asked about 5-6 years from now, he confirmed what I thought...the rads market will be much better but will not have returned to the boom levels quite yet.