Job offer surprise, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BelaMedicine

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a going through the job process for the first time after fellowship and am a bit surprised at some of the numbers I am getting. I was hoping those that are already practicing can give some insight.

I am looking in the tristate area and have been quoted low 200s for full time noninvasive cardiology positions. For a .8 position I was looking at I was quoted high 100s...! Does this seem low to everyone or is this just me??? One is a private practice and the other is a private practice bought out by an academic institution. Either I have been completely out of touch with starting salaries and they are truly this low or I am being low balled. Please advise.
 
Makes sense for the area. I imagine any specialty in that area would start around there. Supply outpaces demand. Unfortunate situation
 
At least locally (near a big metro, east coast, not NYC as it sounds like OP is looking) for me our grads have been getting offers anywhere from 275-350k noninvasive. For cath and EP it’s definitely higher. Someone who is actually in the tristate might give you better info on this. You’re also looking at 0.8 positions, probably would get higher offers if full time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could make more as a hospitalist in this area. Working half the time. I am so confused. I don’t mean to be sarcastic but I went through 3 years of subspecialty training at one of the most competitive places in the country and didn’t expect this kind of low salary- especially given the hours and the amount that is required to work! Why would anyone accept these numbers if you could make the exact same working so much less as a hospitalist? Seriously why
 
I could make more as a hospitalist in this area. Working half the time. I am so confused. I don’t mean to be sarcastic but I went through 3 years of subspecialty training at one of the most competitive places in the country and didn’t expect this kind of low salary- especially given the hours and the amount that is required to work! Why would anyone accept these numbers if you could make the exact same working so much less as a hospitalist? Seriously why

To which someone might reply, then consider applying for a 0.8 hospitalist position. Sounds like you now have three options: accept the position, work as a hospitalist, or move outside the area for a higher salary. We are a dime a dozen in those areas.
 
I could make more as a hospitalist in this area. Working half the time. I am so confused. I don’t mean to be sarcastic but I went through 3 years of subspecialty training at one of the most competitive places in the country and didn’t expect this kind of low salary- especially given the hours and the amount that is required to work! Why would anyone accept these numbers if you could make the exact same working so much less as a hospitalist? Seriously why
If you didn't expect that kind of salary in the NYC metro area then you have had your head in the sand for the last several years.
 
Hi everyone,

I am a going through the job process for the first time after fellowship and am a bit surprised at some of the numbers I am getting. I was hoping those that are already practicing can give some insight.

I am looking in the tristate area and have been quoted low 200s for full time noninvasive cardiology positions. For a .8 position I was looking at I was quoted high 100s...! Does this seem low to everyone or is this just me??? One is a private practice and the other is a private practice bought out by an academic institution. Either I have been completely out of touch with starting salaries and they are truly this low or I am being low balled. Please advise.

Not surprising. I know someone who was offered 180k for interventional in Long Island a few years ago.
 
I could make more as a hospitalist in this area. Working half the time. I am so confused. I don’t mean to be sarcastic but I went through 3 years of subspecialty training at one of the most competitive places in the country and didn’t expect this kind of low salary- especially given the hours and the amount that is required to work! Why would anyone accept these numbers if you could make the exact same working so much less as a hospitalist? Seriously why

Because some people would rather be a cardiologist than a hospitalist, they’re completely different jobs