job offers for caribbean grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Therese737

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of effect being a caribbean grad has on getting a physician job after residency?
Do you think employers will see your resume and instead give preference to a US grad? Going to the caribbean doesn't seem that bad, but if it hinders chances of landing a job, then I worry.
 
Therese737 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of effect being a caribbean grad has on getting a physician job after residency?
Do you think employers will see your resume and instead give preference to a US grad? Going to the caribbean doesn't seem that bad, but if it hinders chances of landing a job, then I worry.

Asking for a LCME accredited rotation.....worry as an international med student, asking for a residency spot..........worry as an IMG, asking for a spot as a physician..........need not worry as an IMG, you only should be worried if you sat on your ass this whole time.
 
Therese737 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of effect being a caribbean grad has on getting a physician job after residency?
Do you think employers will see your resume and instead give preference to a US grad? Going to the caribbean doesn't seem that bad, but if it hinders chances of landing a job, then I worry.

From all the physicians I've talked to, they all seem to agree that when it comes to jobs after your training nobody really cares where you went to med school. The bigger concern was where you did your residency. I'm only a 3rd year so maybe some people who are done with residency can speak from personal experience.
 
Harbster said:
Asking for a LCME accredited rotation.....worry as an international med student, asking for a residency spot..........worry as an IMG, asking for a spot as a physician..........need not worry as an IMG, you only should be worried if you sat on your ass this whole time.


I agree with Harbster. You can sit around and worry, or you can act. There are plenty of jobs to go around in medicine right now, and will be for the foreseeable future. I know a lot of "Carib" grads who are getting great spots. Even true IMGs. Point is, if you can pass muster (i.e., passing all of your licensure exams, residency, etc.), you are going to get a job. Hell, you can still always open your own practice too. Nothing stopping you from doing that either.

-Skip

P.S. BTW... nice to see you posting here, Ali. 😉