Job opportunities as PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently deciding whether I should pursue PM&R based on the job opportunities available in places like California or New York after residency. How difficult is it to find a job in a big city like LA etc? I understand it's not as in demand as some other specialties, but from a quick search on the internet, it seems as if there's not that many job opportunities in California. We spend many years through schooling and residency and yet I'm still worried about job security in California. It's a legitamate concern of mine.

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine is a PM&R doctor in SoCal who is happily employed with a sports group, and another who is struggling running his own private practice. It all depends on the type of job, the income you're willing to settle for, the city, the autonomy you're willing to give up, the marketing you put in. If you're not too picky sure you can have a job in SoCal.

Reactions: 1 user
You will have less options in PM&R-we're a smaller field, and there are less openings per graduating resident than fields like psych/FM/peds, which will let you practice anywhere you want.

That said, I do often see listings in SoCal, so I agree with the above that if you're not too picky you can likely find something.

Also, never underestimate the impact of cold-calling rehab units/groups and asking if they're looks for someone.

Reactions: 1 user
The closer your residency program is to the region you wish to be employed the better you chances... I get notifications from my residency anytime they have an opening or an alumni inquired about openings in NUC/NJ that are not usually advertised. Network is important in a tight market