Job options for someone with an MD but without a completed residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hestabbedbasil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduate of a US medical school who has decided, two years into a general surgery program, that the career is not for me and that my interest and aspirations lie with internal medicine. I decided really late this year, though, and I did not match into an internal medicine program. At the time I decided the only program that would interview me due to the lateness of the season was my home program, which did not offer me a residency position. I called around to basically the rest of the state and was told categorically (ha) that they had no remaining interview slots.

My numbers are great, my recommendation letters are strong, and the letter of support from my current PD is excellent. I can get other letters of support if I need them and I'm leaving this spot in good standing. Maybe more importantly (though realistically speaking maybe not) I absolutely love this job. I'm good at it and have great rapport with patients. I definitely can't see myself in surgery, but all the 'medicine' parts of this residency have been amazing (especially the ICU). That being said, I think I am in good shape to reapply for a categorical internal medicine position next year. There's the scramble over the next couple days, but I'm not holding my breath. Any job that I'm looking for will not be permanent as I'm very anxious to get back to residency.

That brings me to my current predicament. I have two years of gen surg under my belt and I'm pretty sure I passed step 3 this cycle (find out in April). What are my options for work for the next year? I've searched but I can't seem to find a job that would pay decently (I'd be happy with a resident-level salary, if I can get it) and also be available to someone with my experience. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this issue? I'm in the good position of having a partner that can pay the bills and will also be looking for a position (unrelated field) around the end of my year so we have no geographic restrictions.

Thank you guys so so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

We have lecturers and clinical instructors who are post-MD but without a completed residency... I don't think it pays great, but perhaps see if your local medical school is hiring?

Assuming you passed step 3, I would moonlight like crazy. If you're willing to drive out to a rural hospital you could make good money doing that.