Job prospect as physician with MBA in pharmas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ameth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First of all, I would like to say that I am really impressed by how many people are willing to give advice on this website.

I am currently a first year medical student at the University of Ottawa. I am weighing my options and exploring doing an MBA after medical school. My dream job is to work in a business related job in a pharmaceutical company (though not solely business oriented).

Working as a clinical physician has amazing job availability and security. Is this job availability present for doctors with MBAs applying to the corporate world? The last thing I would want to do is take the time and money to do an MBA (executive, after practicing for a few years) and not be able to get the job I want.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
ameth

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
First of all, I would like to say that I am really impressed by how many people are willing to give advice on this website.

I am currently a first year medical student at the University of Ottawa. I am weighing my options and exploring doing an MBA after medical school. My dream job is to work in a business related job in a pharmaceutical company (though not solely business oriented).

Working as a clinical physician has amazing job availability and security. Is this job availability present for doctors with MBAs applying to the corporate world? The last thing I would want to do is take the time and money to do an MBA (executive, after practicing for a few years) and not be able to get the job I want.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
ameth

Ameth

I think that it is great that you are considering getting an MBA as a adjuct to your medical degree, because it shows that you are thinking outside of the box and considering other ways to utilize your medical degree. However, to answer your question I think a decision to get your your MBA after completing school depends on the type of job you would like to get in the pharmacutical industry. If your hope is to become a corporate leader in the company than an MBA would be helpfull, but not a neccessity. If you hope to lead clinical trials, ect. then you may not need to get it at all.

On thing I want you know take away is that having an MD/DO and an MBA does not give you as much of an advantage in the business world as we as physicians might think. It shows that we are smart people and can get through the rigours of medical school, but thats it. In getting a job in corporate america, we will still have to trained on our job no matter what our credential state. This is what I have been told my numerous members of consulting, and pharmacutical companies. Just make sure that before you decided to get to the degree, make sure you know what you want to do with it.

Also just to add, if you decided to get the MBA, I would still make sure to do a residency in whatever you think you might want to practice in the future. You went through the trouble of getting into and graduating medical school, you might as well make sure that you can utilize you medical degree down the road. Especially with the nature of the economy now adays, if you get a corporate job, it is not guarenteed as I'm sure you know. Just make sure to cover all your bases!!:laugh:

It's important to clearly define your area of focus/interest. Do you want to get involved in drug research/development, marketing, managed markets, public health, etc.? The world of pharma is a huge world and it's important to map out a strategy so that you can reach your goal.