job satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if any practicing sleep medicine physicians could comment on job satisfaction. I've heard from some that sleep medicine is repetitive and boring.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sleep, but one I've talked to before loves it. Gets a thrill at hearing from and seeing the transformation the OSA patients have after CPAP. And with that being the bread and better I suppose this person chose the right field.

Personally sleep is interesting as a field, especially parasomnias. However, my time on their service as a resident, I just couldn't see myself doing it. But as time marches on and life priorities change, it has its appeal in the logistics - limited to no call i.e. call that is nothing in the traditional sense of call that other specialties have, a good pay, office hours which means no weekends, and notes that can lend themselves to be fairly templated (not long winded like psych notes), and I suppose reading a sleep study is fun?? never know what you'll catch kind of a thing? Downside compared to psych / IM/ FM/ Neurology is that it'll narrow the geographic availability of jobs, there simply aren't as many and they are typically in bigger cities.

Job doesn't work out, might actually have to move. Have to tell people some times you reporting them to the state to not drive or that they can't drive until XYZ. If a hospital affiliated job, they will likely have a DME too, and if they aren't a good DME, you'll have headaches navigating those politics. Don't have a CBTi therapist to refer to or one in the department, there's a headache. Previous sleep doc or primary care punts are all on ambien and benzos, got possible clean up duty on your hands. If your base specialty is XYZ and you see a patient come to you who has significant care from XYZ specialty, you'll struggle with biting your tongue when you see management that isn't ideal.

Want to open your own practice? Will take some money and isn't a guaranteed success.

Field is definitely getting midlevel incursion, impacting job availability. Positively though, they can't read sleep studies.

The field has emerging levels of tele sleep, i.e. docs who read sleep studies from afar. Depending upon how this shakes down in the future it may or may not shake up the specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
My job satisfaction is extremely high. There is zero chance that I would change to another specialty in clinical medicine. Even neuroradiology, which I guess would be my number 2 job choice. If I changed jobs it would literally be to something other than clinical medicine.

Sleep medicine is "boring and repetitive" in a relative sense. Dermatologists see skin cancer and acne alot. Are they bored? You will be seeing 90-95% of one diagnosis (obstructive sleep apnea) so you had better love, enjoy reading about/studying, and caring for people with that one problem. The other 5-10% tend to be an exotic neurologic mixture of parasomnias, and movements disorders. Or just basic sleep education.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have to tell people some times you reporting them to the state to not drive or that they can't drive until XYZ. If a hospital affiliated job, they will likely have a DME too, and if they aren't a good DME, you'll have headaches navigating those politics. Don't have a CBTi therapist to refer to or one in the department, there's a headache. Previous sleep doc or primary care punts are all on ambien and benzos, got possible clean up duty on your hands. If your base specialty is XYZ and you see a patient come to you who has significant care from XYZ specialty, you'll struggle with biting your tongue when you see management that isn't ideal.

This is a truly superb summary of the downsides of sleep.
Otherwise, it’s a pretty good specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
My job satisfaction is extremely high. There is zero chance that I would change to another specialty in clinical medicine. Even neuroradiology, which I guess would be my number 2 job choice. If I changed jobs it would literally be to something other than clinical medicine.

Sleep medicine is "boring and repetitive" in a relative sense. Dermatologists see skin cancer and acne alot. Are they bored? You will be seeing 90-95% of one diagnosis (obstructive sleep apnea) so you had better love, enjoy reading about/studying, and caring for people with that one problem. The other 5-10% tend to be an exotic neurologic mixture of parasomnias, and movements disorders. Or just basic sleep education.

This is literally all I want to do lol.

Do you do 100% sleep? Or mix it with neurology?

Last edited: