Job search: esp, NYC and San Fran

Started by dirtbag
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dirtbag

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All this talk about "saturated markets" and the job search, I was wondering if anybody with experience could comment on getting a job out of residency in either new york or san francisco? I am especially curious as to how difficult it is coming from a residency program in a different region (non-northeast or west coast)? I have heard that it is generally accepted as do-able, but more difficult in nyc. But then again, you just keep hearing "saturated" any time anybody says "nyc" and ANY type of medicine. I'm just looking for some generalizations here with respect to private practice jobs that incorporate medical and cosmetic practice.
 
NYC still has a ton of docs who are cash only; no saturation exists where that is the case. I have no idea about SF. Personally, you could shoot me in the f'ing head before I would practice in either place -- you can stretch our depreciating dollar much further in other regions of the country.
 
Saturation is a relative term. There is almost no place that is so saturated that you can't start a profitable practice. The question is how profitable will it be and how much money will youmake. In NYC you can find a job, but that job will likely result in you making less money than you could elsewhere (and that's before even considering the fact that the cost of living is higher in NYC).

I do disagree with Mohs01 with regard to the implications of cash only dermatologists in NYC. I agree that, in general, if you have a large number of dermatologists that are cash only, it means that there is room in the market for another provider to enter. However, I think that NYC is a special case.

Many of these cash only derms cater to an extremely affluent patient population who pay cash because they think will give them access to the best doctors and best care. These people are not paying cash because they simply can't get into see a derm that takes insurance. It doesn't matter how quickly or easily they could get into see another dermatologist, they want to see the cash only ones that have an established reputation.

This sort of practice can really only flourish in certain parts of the country where there are many very wealthy people.

This situation is very different from that of cash only derms in West Texas (for example). In such areas, some physicians take cash only because their patients have no other nearby options, so there is no need for the physicians to bother themselves with the issues associated with taking insurance. If several derms that took insurance moved nearby, then the cash only derm's business would be severely affected (which I believe was Mohs 01's point).

This is in disctinction to the NYC situation where the well-established, cash only derms will have wealthy, cash paying patients no matter how many derms who take insurance move into the area.