Job search etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camkiss

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the pros:
I am a CA-3 starting to look for jobs for next year. What is the proper way to approach hospitals you do not have contacts at and who are not actively advertising that they are hiring? Is it appropriate to mail them your CV and cover letter expressing an interest in practicing in their area? Do you call and ask to speak with the Chairperson of the department and ask them if they plan on hiring? Basically, how do you get your foot in the door if you do not have an inside track or they did not come looking for you?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

just call the dept chair and ask if theyre hiring
thats what i did and it worked well
dont mail your cv and wait..some secretary will throw it into a pile of junk and no one will look at it

goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, it works both ways--I was shocked at the number of times I sent CV's (at the request of a group) and they never had the courtesy to even let me know they received it.

My advice, never send a CV without personally talking with someone in charge of hiring first. Secretaries and receptionist seem to always say their group is hiring, but in reality, they have no idea whether they are or not. Apma is correct, they will just throw it in a pile (at best) and forget about it.

Of course, it works both ways--I was shocked at the number of times I sent CV's (at the request of a group) and they never had the courtesy to even let me know they received it.

My advice, never send a CV without personally talking with someone in charge of hiring first. Secretaries and receptionist seem to always say their group is hiring, but in reality, they have no idea whether they are or not. Apma is correct, they will just throw it in a pile (at best) and forget about it.

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but it's about the time again, and I was wondering if any of these posters or anyone else for that matter would like to comment on how they were successful at getting a job.

I have already experienced the request to send my CV and then cricket chirping silence....and it's driving me bonkers

How about some words of wisdom or pearls of advice!!!

When beginning a job search, you have to ask yourself two questions:

1) Academics versus private practice
2) Location, location, location

Once you have answered these questions, you are ready to start looking for a job. Some jobs are highly advertised through recruiters and gaswork. However, the best jobs out there are word of mouth. Try to develop connections through your faculty and alumni with either other academic programs or private practice groups. It is much easier for someone else to present you to a practice (i.e. faculty member) than simply cold calling.

That's not to say you can't be successful cold calling though. It takes a little confidence and practice, but you can pick up the phone and dial a department or group and pitch yourself. Most of the time the person you will be speaking to is a secretary/administrative assistant. Don't underestimate the power of this person to get your foot in the door, especially if it is the chairman's/group president's personal assistant. Ideally, the administrative assistant will give you an e-mail address or phone number of the physician you will want to contact. Also, the administrative assistant can give you a very accurate off-the-record perspective of how things are going in the department/practice like how late people really work or how much call is taken or if they are seriously in need of more anesthesiologists.

Following up can be the tricky part, particularly if a significant amount of time has passed between you giving your information and them getting back to you. Each situation can vary (a four week lapse 1 year prior to graduation is a lot different than 3 months prior to graduation). A brief, polite phone call or e-mail reaffirming your interest in the department/practice along with new information about yourself (board certification, obtaining state license, etc.) is helpful. Unfortunately, some departments/practices don't have enough class to let you know once and for all that they aren't interested. Sometimes you just have to know when to take a hint, like when the hot girl you keep hitting on persistently blows you off.

Try not to take setbacks in your job search personally. Whether or not a department/group decides to hire you is ultimately a business transaction. You can be the best anesthesiologist coming out of residency in your program/state/country but if the group you want to join is already overstaffed, then you probably aren't getting a job offer despite your awesome skills. Even if a group doesn't think you are "strong enough" to succeed in their practice, it is better to learn this prior to starting the job than a year into the partnership track.

My prediction is that the job market for anesthesiologists will continue to be a little tight as older anesthesiologists delay retirement and medicine waits to see how Obamacare will affect us all. It will be important to be proactive and persistent in your job search and to not give up.

When beginning a job search, you have to ask yourself two questions:

1) Academics versus private practice
2) Location, location, location

Once you have answered these questions, you are ready to start looking for a job. Some jobs are highly advertised through recruiters and gaswork. However, the best jobs out there are word of mouth. Try to develop connections through your faculty and alumni with either other academic programs or private practice groups. It is much easier for someone else to present you to a practice (i.e. faculty member) than simply cold calling.

That's not to say you can't be successful cold calling though. It takes a little confidence and practice, but you can pick up the phone and dial a department or group and pitch yourself. Most of the time the person you will be speaking to is a secretary/administrative assistant. Don't underestimate the power of this person to get your foot in the door, especially if it is the chairman's/group president's personal assistant. Ideally, the administrative assistant will give you an e-mail address or phone number of the physician you will want to contact. Also, the administrative assistant can give you a very accurate off-the-record perspective of how things are going in the department/practice like how late people really work or how much call is taken or if they are seriously in need of more anesthesiologists.

Following up can be the tricky part, particularly if a significant amount of time has passed between you giving your information and them getting back to you. Each situation can vary (a four week lapse 1 year prior to graduation is a lot different than 3 months prior to graduation). A brief, polite phone call or e-mail reaffirming your interest in the department/practice along with new information about yourself (board certification, obtaining state license, etc.) is helpful. Unfortunately, some departments/practices don't have enough class to let you know once and for all that they aren't interested. Sometimes you just have to know when to take a hint, like when the hot girl you keep hitting on persistently blows you off.

Try not to take setbacks in your job search personally. Whether or not a department/group decides to hire you is ultimately a business transaction. You can be the best anesthesiologist coming out of residency in your program/state/country but if the group you want to join is already overstaffed, then you probably aren't getting a job offer despite your awesome skills. Even if a group doesn't think you are "strong enough" to succeed in their practice, it is better to learn this prior to starting the job than a year into the partnership track.

My prediction is that the job market for anesthesiologists will continue to be a little tight as older anesthesiologists delay retirement and medicine waits to see how Obamacare will affect us all. It will be important to be proactive and persistent in your job search and to not give up.

Thank you very much for your response. I completely agree. I want a private practice position out west in 2 specific cities (due to family).

Of course, I know no one in either of these places. I have asked all of my dept faculty and my chair and no one knows people practicing in either city. Granted, they are 2-2.5K miles away.

I am not above asking anyone I know at this point if they have any contacts in either of these areas. I agree that often it is about who you know, not what you know, when getting that great job. Networking from across the country when I don't know anyone...well...it's daunting, not impossible, but difficult. I am giving it a shot.

I have been scouring these boards, inquiring about jobs on Gaswork and MDJobsite, trying to personally email the posters for specific positions. Cold calls, yep, I'm making them. Leaving messages, calling back, searching for groups and online contact information. I've not started begging, but I don't feel hopeless....yet :) I'm not above it, I'm sure.

I think my program is a good one and I've done very well, but that doesn't set me apart from the multitude of new graduates who can claim the same.

I also agree that the changes in healthcare will delay retirement for some currently practicing physicians and can tighten the market in the very near future. I think there are jobs out there to be had, but in the perfect palce etc...that's another story all together.

Thank you very much for your response. I completely agree. I want a private practice position out west in 2 specific cities (due to family).

Of course, I know no one in either of these places. I have asked all of my dept faculty and my chair and no one knows people practicing in either city. Granted, they are 2-2.5K miles away.

I am not above asking anyone I know at this point if they have any contacts in either of these areas. I agree that often it is about who you know, not what you know, when getting that great job. Networking from across the country when I don't know anyone...well...it's daunting, not impossible, but difficult. I am giving it a shot.

I have been scouring these boards, inquiring about jobs on Gaswork and MDJobsite, trying to personally email the posters for specific positions. Cold calls, yep, I'm making them. Leaving messages, calling back, searching for groups and online contact information. I've not started begging, but I don't feel hopeless....yet :) I'm not above it, I'm sure.

I think my program is a good one and I've done very well, but that doesn't set me apart from the multitude of new graduates who can claim the same.

I also agree that the changes in healthcare will delay retirement for some currently practicing physicians and can tighten the market in the very near future. I think there are jobs out there to be had, but in the perfect palce etc...that's another story all together.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

See if your residency has a list of current alumni information and if any are practicing in the cities out west (if you haven't done this already).

Making cold calls is good. It is impossible to interpret what a lack of response really means. It could be they are full and not interested. It could be that they are waiting on whether or not they will get or keep a hospital contract. It could mean that they don't usually hire new grads a year out and would rather hire 6 months out. I think following up about once a month at this point is reasonable.

We all have our visions of what we want/think our life should be. Sometimes life doesn't go according to plan. It may be that you won't get a job in the cities you think you want to be in. It may be that you get a job in some place you never thought of and you eventually couldn't be happier. Try to be open minded in this process.

Another thing...it's a bit early to actually land a job, but never too early to make contacts. For a group to hire you now, they would generally have to be short for a considerable amount of time or work with locums until you come. From my limited experience, groups would generally like to fill within a few months of a spot opening up.

I agree on this too...if I thought I should have a job right now, I would be scared to death and losing sleep at night, but that's not the case...but I really wish to have a job by the new year....simply applying for a license in the these two states can take 6 months....I'm being as patient as I can be...considering...

...don't take it personally.
Hola,

DreamMachine is right. Don't take it personally. That is the way most employers react with job seekers when they don't need anybody.

When you become chief, the first time you receive a CV you may be so moved that you send the guy a nice letter telling him that you don't need him now, but that if you need him in the future, you will certainly keep him in mind; but as letters keep coming and piling up, you realize you cannot answer to everybody, and keep on with your job and throw those letters to the trash. When you really need someone, at that time a new letter from someone will come, so you look at that one. You don't worry too much about previous applicants, because they will most probably have found jobs elsewhere.

You should send CVs, call, follow up, do everything you are doing and more. They will not send a firing squad to shoot you. If they need you, they will contact you and if they don't, they are too busy to answer to every applicant who sends them a CV or a letter.

You may want to contact anesthesia billing agencies, because they usually know who is in need of people and who is not, and can give you some pointers as to where to apply, whom to contact, etc., but don't limit yourself to those.

Remember what DreamMachine said:
...don't take it personally.
Don't take it personally and don't be discouraged by negative answers. It is part of the game.

Greetings