Job Search Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letitrip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently at finishing residency this June. Was interested in general jobs in the NYC area. Surprisingly the job market is a ton better then what I expected after hearing much of doom and gloom and getting a job offer was much easier then i expected. The problem I have is selecting which job to take as there is very little information on the jobs unlike med schools/residency.
-private practice group offering 3 year partnership track in the NJ suburbs. The big AMCs have really been on a big buying spree in the NYC area and partnership track jobs are really hard to come by so that is def a big attraction to me. mostly own cases, 2 community hospitals and 10 ambulatory centers around the area. group is very stable, 65 anesthesiologists have been around for 20+ years and actively expanding. salary is around the going rate (low-mid 3's which goes up significantly after 3 years).
The concerns I have: not sure how much i like the community hospitals and ambulatory centers, im used to big academic settings. Second I have read a few reviews on glassdoor and indeed, I understand that they are prolly disgruntled former employees but they are not great. Things along the line of high turnover, tons of call on the partnership track. There are also multiple good ones but dont know what to make of them. Additionally am not sure how easy it would be to move into an academic job in a few years if I find that I dont like it and miss being in an academic institution.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Real question is benefits, call, caseload, hours, attitude of staff. Also if you're at an affiliate, it's not the same quality of resident as the main campus unless they rotate through.

3 year partnership in these times is pretty long, you don't want to almost get through and then get screwed

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like two reasonable choices, especially in a tough NYC-area market.

Job 2.) Hospital that has recently (2015) been acquired by one of the big NYC academic insitution's. Not the main campus but good hospital, actively growing. Do all kinds of cases, busy hospital, residents do cases. I enjoy teaching so that is a plus and job seems a little more kush given the residents and crna's. Cons: financially it starts at similar salary but not he upward trajectory that the partnership job offers. Not being the main academic center of the institution (feel there might be a step child attitude from the main center). Mainly i dont want to regret turning down what seems like a good partnership track job and find that I am unable to find one a few years down the line in the competitive market NYC is.

I see why you might think this, but it probably isn't the case from what I've seen from other situations like this. More frequently when this happens the affiliate hospitals are more "private practice-esque" or "academics-lite" which usually means more work (with more pay!) and less academic requirements if any at all. The best way to feel this out would be to discuss with current staff at the hospital and see what they have to say about it.

letitrip i pm you.... I suspect i know which group offered you partnership and if it's the one I'm thinking of you better run away :0

Reactions: 1 user
thanks everyone i really appreciate the help.

this process has been surprisingly awful and much more stressful then i could have imagined. my non-medical friends and family all tell me this is a great problem to have, which i can kind of understand but its been eating away at me internally lol.

letitrip i pm you.... I suspect i know which group offered you partnership and if it's the one I'm thinking of you better run away :0

Is this Ramapo?

Is 2# one of the Brooklyn hospitals that got up bought? Sounds like Methodist in Park slope or Lutheran in sunset park. You can PM me for details for all of the above.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are interested in job 1, I would get a better feel for the practice and "partnership." Try to talk to recent hires if there are any. If you have any strange feelings about it, I would trust your gut and run away. Three years is an eternity in NY metro and there's no guarantee that there will be a partnership waiting for you at the end. There are a lot of dishonest private practices in the ny metro region.

In terms of academics, the academic centers in NYC seem to be perpetually hiring, so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to go back a few years out. The pay is pitifully low for the workload at NYC academics, which is why they are often hiring. If you are looking for academics, consider expanding your search to 1-3 hour drive from NYC (which would include Philly). You're often still within commuter rail territory, cost of living is lower, pay to workload ratio is better, and you can still visit the city on the weekends. If you just want to be in the city for a few years after residency then the academics aren't a bad way to go, so long as you realize that you are essentially paying a "tax" in terms of time and money to be in the city.