Job search limited to a few metro areas - advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dohle Body

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a second year fellow (no visa sponsorship required) looking to join a community or hybrid heme/onc practice. Due to my spouse's job, I am constrained to practices ideally within 1 hour of the following metro areas:

- Dallas/FW
- Denver
- Seattle
- Portland

I don't have any local contacts in these areas so I'm hoping some of you may be able to advise me on general salary expectations (all these areas are desirable and I know there can be quite a bit of heterogeneity between hospital employed vs PP etc) and any groups to avoid - happy to communicate privately or provide any more details.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a thought, if your fellowship in one of those areas, If so, you can network through via the connections of your program, I can think of PD, APD, faculty, whoever the attending you work with and most importantly your seniors fellows

Unfortunately, my fellowship is on the opposite coast and my program's alumni tend to stay in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
The smallest of those cities (Portland) has 7 groups (5 if you don't count the VA or OHSU main campus) and I can tell you with certainty that every single one of them is hiring. I can only assume the same is true in Seattle, DFW and Denver.

Pick a city or two and start sending some emails.

Reactions: 1 user
@gutonc

So practices that are hiring don't always list on LinkedIn, PracticeMatch, etc? If there isn't a specific email listed for job inquiries, who would be the best point of contact?

@gutonc

So practices that are hiring don't always list on LinkedIn, PracticeMatch, etc? If there isn't a specific email listed for job inquiries, who would be the best point of contact?
Nope. Some advertise a lot, some not at all. Some use recruiters, some use word of mouth.

Just find a name, preferably for a medical director or clinic director and start there.