Negotiating a contract at academic hematology positions NYC metro area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david385

Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering how much negotiating you can do on the offers they give you? Will they be open if I ask for a higher compensation or more vacation time? Also any NYC hospitals to avoid?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I was wondering how much negotiating you can do on the offers they give you? Will they be open if I ask for a higher compensation or more vacation time? Also any NYC hospitals to avoid?

Thanks for your help.
You can try-but very difficult.. If you want it in writing in the contract you can definitively ask, unclear how flexible the powers that be will on that. Most academic contracts are pretty boiler plate when it comes to vacation time (ie 4 weeks off). PP contracts are definitely more flexible on this. It’s also notable that at least at my institution we’re on the honor system re; vacation and personal days. so long as people don’t take advantage. I’m sure there are other institutions that are more strict.

Re; more compensation. I’ve seen asking for moving costs, signing bonus, covering board exam costs all work. Asking for a higher base is often futile but worth a try. Others things to consider, if there is any flexibility on bonus (some institutions use wRVU based bonuses ie productivity bonus) Several colleagues of mine have been successful in getting an extra 5-10k. Academic jobs don’t leave a ton of room for negotiating but like I said no harm in trying and see what you can get.

(I’m at a nyc hospital btw)

Last edited:
You can try-but very difficult.. If you want it in writing in the contract you can definitively ask, unclear how flexible the powers that be will on that. Most academic contracts are pretty boiler plate when it comes to vacation time (ie 4 weeks off). PP contracts are definitely more flexible on this. It’s also notable that at least at my institution we’re on the honor system re; vacation and personal days. so long as people don’t take advantage. I’m sure there are other institutions that are more strict.

Re; more compensation. I’ve seen asking for moving costs, signing bonus, covering board exam costs all work. Asking for a higher base is often futile but worth a try. Others things to consider, if there is any flexibility on bonus (some institutions use wRVU based bonuses ie productivity bonus) Several colleagues of mine have been successful in getting an extra 5-10k. Academic jobs don’t leave a ton of room for negotiating but like I said no harm in trying and see what you can get.

(I’m at a nyc hospital btw)
Any insights into NYC academic pay structure?
Seeing ~ 250-300k with ~ 50k bonus but haven't run into any true compensation/wRVU.
Private seems at least 50% more with an upside of significantly more at partnership. Albeit, more clinic days and patients per day without the ability to sub-specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any insights into NYC academic pay structure?
Seeing ~ 250-300k with ~ 50k bonus but haven't run into any true compensation/wRVU.
Private seems at least 50% more with an upside of significantly more at partnership. Albeit, more clinic days and patients per day without the ability to sub-specialize.
Want to clarify a few things; when you mention bonus is this a wRVU or incentive based bonus? Also when you say “any true compensation with wRVU” do you mean you haven’t found pay structures in which your pay is directly tied to wRVU generation?

Regarding the first piece I assume most academic jobs that offer a bonus it will somehow be tied to performance either research or clinical (and if clinical it’ll be wRVU based). Some possible models would be 15-60$ (depending on Institution) per wRVU above a certain threshold say 4500 or 5000. Some places can also place limits though I haven’t run into that with hem/onc jobs.

Regarding the second piece it wouldn’t be surprising for you not to find an academic job in nyc that pays with the wRVU compensation only model. That’s very much a hybrid and pp structure. Unless of course I misunderstood you and you really meant something else.

250-300 with 50K bonus is excellent for nyc academic btw

Wow.

Thank you, academic heme/oncs, for what you do.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users